Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,825   Posts: 191,304   Members: 6,699   Active Members: 269
Welcome to our newest member, Ea0423.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 30 and laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeronaut 30 and laptop?

Hey guys! I searched all over the forums on anyone using a 15'' laptop with their aeronaut 30s and I couldn't find one... as far as I know the exterior dimensions of the aeronaut 30 is 19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9'', which is more than enough for a 15'' laptop. I'm planning to use this bag as an overnight/weekend bag, so besides the laptop it'll probably only carry:

2 shirts
    1 dress
    1 pants
    travel toiletries - a small ziplock of essentials.
    laptop charger, phone charger

Now I know there are other tom bihn bags that have a dedicated laptop sleeve, but I fell in love with the aeronaut 30's design and shape and how it looks like a duffle so I really want to make this work. And note that I won't always be using the aeronaut 30 with a laptop, i'm planning on travelling without it too. I just want to know if it's an option with this bag. Does the inner compartment "stretch" out to the outside compartments enough that you can squeeze in a laptop at the bottom if I have to?

Thanks in advance!

I've travelled with my old 13" black macbook in my A30 - in a cache, on top of the contents of the centre compartment. It's a snug fit, but it goes through the opening and sits happily inside with both end pocket separators zipped in place and the pockets full. The major issue with a larger laptop is probably going to be getting it in through the centre compartment opening - and you would probably have to unzip one or both of the end pocket separator flaps to give yourself enough room to manoeuvre the laptop in one end first and then tuck the other end in. That would probably limit how you can use the remaining space in the end pockets. I suspect the capacity would be fine for what you're thinking of carrying, it's just the geometry of the situation which may defeat you - lack of access or turning space may make what you're planning difficult or impossible.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Originally posted by fishiny View Post
      Hey guys! I searched all over the forums on anyone using a 15'' laptop with their aeronaut 30s and I couldn't find one... as far as I know the exterior dimensions of the aeronaut 30 is 19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9'', which is more than enough for a 15'' laptop. I'm planning to use this bag as an overnight/weekend bag, so besides the laptop it'll probably only carry:

2 shirts
      1 dress
      1 pants
      travel toiletries - a small ziplock of essentials.
      laptop charger, phone charger

Now I know there are other tom bihn bags that have a dedicated laptop sleeve, but I fell in love with the aeronaut 30's design and shape and how it looks like a duffle so I really want to make this work. And note that I won't always be using the aeronaut 30 with a laptop, i'm planning on travelling without it too. I just want to know if it's an option with this bag. Does the inner compartment "stretch" out to the outside compartments enough that you can squeeze in a laptop at the bottom if I have to?

Thanks in advance!
      Welcome to the forums @fishiny, I'll take a stab at answering this, although I'm traveling, and don't have access to the A30, nor do I carry a 15" laptop. My best guess is that you will be able to carry the your 15" laptop in the main compartment of A30, and possibly without even havin the undo the zippers to extend the compartment into one of the end cubes. I'm basing this on the fact that you can fit the Daylight Briefcase into main compartment of the A30, and there's even a picture in the product page images to show this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	daylightbriefcase_09b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	294095

Now, the Daylight Briefcase is built to hold laptops that are 13" and smaller, within a caches, but some (not all) larger laptops will fit. I know that @tpnl mentioned being able to carry his this way, but since I don't know the dimensions of your machine, I can't tell what it's size is, however the external dimensions of the Daylight Briefcase are 13.4 x 9.8 in / 340 x 250 mm. The 15" Retina MacBook Pro is larger than this by a bit: 14.13" x 9.73" / 358.9 x 247.1 mm. The other piece of information I recall is that I can fit in the Eagle Creek 15" Packing Folder into the A30 main compartment. If there is any substantial thickness in the folder, I have to unzip one side to expand into a side compartement, so you may need to do that for your laptop, but it should fit into the main compartment of the A30 at least this way.

Hopefully someone with an Aeronaut 30 and 15" laptop in hand can answer your question. I know @itsablur has a couple of 14" laptops, and also a larger one that he demoed in his Founder's Briefcase video, and he has an Aeronaut 40, but maybe someone else can check for you. were you planning to use a cache or shell? Can you give your laptop dimensions?

HTH

moriond

Comment

Thank you PaulT00 and moriond! That was very helpful. I googled my laptop dimensions and it's almost the same as the macbook pro, so that should work. I'll be planning to use a laptop sleeve with it to protect it so I suspect it will end up being about the dimensions of the Eagle Creek Packing folder (15x10'', correct?). Seems like I'd have to squeeze it a little, but i'm glad that you can expand to a side compartment if needed.

Also, I was unaware that you can unzip the side compartments. I must have missed it before, but I found a quick video that shows how that works. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Comment

Working...
        X