Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,825   Posts: 191,297   Members: 6,694   Active Members: 260
Welcome to our newest member, Geberus.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bright is French Blue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bright is French Blue?

Hi! I promised myself I'd get a SCB with my Christmas money, so now I'm dithering over my options again. I know a linen/navy bag would be sensible and coordinate well, but linen seems a bit... blah to me. I'm tempted by the French Blue/steel option, but the French Blue swatch looks really really bright. Does anyone have a picture of it in comparison to the navy? Is it as bright in person as it looks?

Thanks! Looking forward to joining the TB family

I can get a picture up tonight. I have a navy snake charmer and French blue brain bag, but it should get the colors right. I don't find French blue to be too bright, it's very similar to sky blue in my opinion
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Comment

Welcome to the gang, @mst3kharris! I haven't seen French Blue in person but I can say that Linen is lovely and not boring at all. Yes it's neutral but it's one of those great colors that change in the light adding a bit of mystery to it.
      Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

Here's French Blue with a bunch of friends including Navy, Burnt Orange (which is deeper than shown here) and Forest. Colors vary in pictures, and in different lights, but FWIW, I would not say French blue is bright. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7239.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	868.4 KB
ID:	294102

Here it is with some truly bright neighbors:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7383.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	294103
        Last edited by Orangeboys; 12-25-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, it is bright. Very beautiful, but bright. In person, it is not quite as bright as the pictures. And in sunlight it looks darker.

I'll try to take a comparison pic soon.
          Okay, now I REALLY want a Dyneema CoPilot!
          I NEED to find a Medium Cafe bag in Dyneema!
          Black Dyneema /Solar is my #1 choice!
          Next would be Steel /steel, or Nordic/solar.
          Looking for Smart Alec in Nordic, or steel /steel Dyneema.
          Also looking for mini OP's in CORK and Solar.

Comment

Thanks everybody! (Sorry I didn't reply sooner; family visits, you know.) I think I'm going to take the gamble on French blue/steel, even though it'll require waiting on my part. It just appeals to me a little more. Time to go remeasure all the things I usually try to cram into my purse to make sure I want a SCB and not a MCB....

Comment

mst3kharris, I think French Blue and Steel will be a beautiful combo. Here are some pictures of French Blue next to other blues for comparison in this thread The Blues.
              Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Comment

Originally posted by mst3kharris View Post
                Thanks everybody! (Sorry I didn't reply sooner; family visits, you know.) I think I'm going to take the gamble on French blue/steel, even though it'll require waiting on my part. It just appeals to me a little more. Time to go remeasure all the things I usually try to cram into my purse to make sure I want a SCB and not a MCB....
                FWIW, I think the first photo posted by @Orangeboys in this thread is quite accurate (on my computer, at least). Enjoy your new bag; it will probably arrive sooner than you think.

BTW, if you're unsure of whether your EDC will fit into a SCB, you could always post a request for someone on the forum with a SCB to test-pack stuff similar to your purse's contents into their SCB.
                Last edited by adalangdon; 12-28-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

The French Blue color in the below article is pretty accurate on my calibrated 95% Wide Color Gamut screen, IMHO:

Drive By :: Tom Bihn Daylight Backpack - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry

Also, I agree with @adalangdon that @Orangeboy's first picture with the DLBC in French Blue looks pretty accurate to me as well.

I am normally an all black exterior bag person but I thought the DLBP really looked nice all in French Blue and really looked lively. When I got it, I felt it had a bit more gray mixed in compared to some of the other photos you see which show a very super vibrant blue. I really like it - the slightly gray undertone makes it good for a casual / semi-formal business environment IMHO but is still very distinct - perfect for a person like me!

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Edit: BTW, did you already ask TB Customer Service to send you a swatch to help you decide? From your first note, it seems that you have.
                  Last edited by tpnl; 12-29-2014, 12:34 AM.
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I have not asked for a swatch! I didn't know they would do that. Time to go write an e-mail...

Comment

Working...
                    X