Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,775   Posts: 190,635   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, Hudanibs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me choose color combo on Aeronaut 45 for a guy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Dyneema exteriors (400d weight instead of the 200d weight for the interior) truly shine if you are concerned with weight from a functional standpoint.
    Style-wise, it really is personal taste - similar to if you like solid shirts or checkered shirts.

    Here is a link to more info on the 400d Dyneema exteriors. The 400d is not as strong as the Ballistic Nylon but that is worth it if the weight savings is more important.

    Introducing 400d Dyneema®/nylon - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

    Edit:
    Some things to note about Dyneema bags are that they do not hold their shape as well as the Ballistic Nylon versions - ie. they will be more floppy if empty or not full. But, they also flex more so you can squeeze more in and pack away smaller when not in use.

    Hope this helps

    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-27-2014, 12:44 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

    Comment


      #17
      When the A30 was introduced, I really wanted the steel/ultraviolet based on appearance alone. But I also wanted a lighter bag with more pliability. So I went with the black dyneema bag and I have zero regrets. It may not be my first choice for the exterior of the bag, but it functions exactly as I hoped. It's my perfect travel bag.
      kindness is contagious.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by tpnl View Post
        Dyneema exteriors (400d weight instead of the 200d weight for the interior) truly shine if you are concerned with weight from a functional standpoint.
        Style-wise, it really is personal taste - similar to if you like solid shirts or checkered shirts.

        Here is a link to more info on the 400d Dyneema exteriors. The 400d is not as strong as the Ballistic Nylon but that is worth it if the weight savings is more important.

        Introducing 400d Dyneema®/nylon - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

        Edit:
        Some things to note about Dyneema bags are that they do not hold their shape as well as the Ballistic Nylon versions - ie. they will be more floppy if empty or not full. But, they also flex more so you can squeeze more in and pack away smaller when not in use.

        Hope this helps

        Cheers!
        Great info, thanks again tpnl. I'm not a fan of Dyneema and the white check lines. I understand Dyneema thread won't accept dye which is why it's white but for someone with OCD tendencies this can be annoying when the lines aren't parallel with the zippers or seams like in this photo.. or maybe it's the sag which makes it look this way between the horizontal zippers:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	tri.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	294134


        So I'm ready to make my first TB order and have decided on the following:
        1) A45 in Black/Wasabi with Absolute strap. $280 + $30
        2) Co-Pilot in Black/Steel. $130
        3) Side Effect in Navy/Iberian. $50
        4) Cord zipper pulls with plastic pulls in red (8 pack). $5
        5) 2 x 8" key straps in Iberian. $10

        Is there anything I've missed that people would recommend as an accessory to the A45 or Co-Pilot?

        PS: I've found a typo on the website if someone can correct it. On the Co-Pilot page, the dropdown box shows the Absolute strap for $20 but I think its now been increased to $30.
        Co-Pilot - Personal carry-on size travel bag - TOM BIHN
        Last edited by noodles; 12-29-2014, 12:01 AM.

        Comment


          #19
          I agree about the Dyneema - for me, I am a symmetry person and Dyneema would drive me nuts as an external fabric but is ok as an internal fabric for me. However, for example, those great shots of Dyneema bags from @David_Galardi or @Ilkyway's Nordic collection really show how amazingly sharp these bags can look if packed right:

          http://forums.tombihn.com/bag-review...html#post87367
          http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...html#post69115
          http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...html#post72335

          If I would suggest anything else to get, I would get a PCBP (dyneema) or DLBP (solid color) to use as a daypack when you arrive at your destination. The PCBP can either double as a packing cube and the DLBP can be a packing as well or just put in with the A45 backpack strap pocket to minimize space. The PCSB also can do double duty as an end pocket cube and a shoulder bag at your destination.
          I personally use a PCBP and 2 PCSB in my Tri-Star / A45. You can also go with the regular packing cubes if you do not need the double functionality.
          I would also check out posts like @mrbrown recent posts to see what other accessories he uses for traveling (also look at the Travel Tips section of this forum):

          http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...html#post84085
          http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...html#post87601

          On the pricing error, I think it is correct. Unlike the A45, the Co-Pilot comes with a Standard Shoulder Strap. To upgrade to a Absolute Shoulder Strap, it costs $20 net (ie, subtract the $10 cost of the Standard Strap and add the $30 cost of the Absolute Strap). For the A45, there is not upgrade as it does not come with a Shoulder Strap.

          Hope this helps

          Cheers!
          Last edited by tpnl; 12-29-2014, 12:29 AM.
          TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by tpnl View Post
            If I would suggest anything else to get, I would get a PCBP (dyneema) or DLBP (solid color) to use as a daypack when you arrive at your destination. The PCBP can either double as a packing cube and the DLBP can be a packing as well or just put in with the A45 backpack strap pocket to minimize space. The PCSB also can do double duty as an end pocket cube and a shoulder bag at your destination.
            I personally use a PCBP and 2 PCSB in my Tri-Star / A45. You can also go with the regular packing cubes if you do not need the double functionality.
            .
            Thanks, those pics and threads do help. Yes the Dyneema looks good in those pics and it's growing on me but think I still prefer the solid colours.

            For a daypack, I was going to use the Co-Pilot but you're suggesting the Packing Cube Backpack Aeronaut (PCBP) or Daylight Backpack (DLBP) might be better alternatives? I'm still getting used to the abbreviations!

            My shortlist for a daypack was down to the Co-Pilot, Synapse 19 or Daylight Backpack but I decided on the Co-Pilot because I prefer an over shoulder type bag to a backpack, especially if I'm already wearing the A45 as a backpack. I haven't ordered yet so I'll have a look at the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Packing Cube Backpack.

            I thought having a small backpack and the Co-Pilot might be overkill but I can see your point if the CP is designed more for airline travel. I guess once the A45 is in the hotel room, the idea is to head out with the daypack and keep the CP locked up in the A45?

            Comment


              #21
              THE BEST a45 color combo for a guy is black/iberian! (other correct answers are whichever color combos you like the most) my co-pilot is black/solar (also a great combo)

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by noodles View Post
                I thought having a small backpack and the Co-Pilot might be overkill but I can see your point if the CP is designed more for airline travel. I guess once the A45 is in the hotel room, the idea is to head out with the daypack and keep the CP locked up in the A45?
                IMO, it's really a matter of personal preference. While the CP (and its big brother, the Pilot) were designed to be able to fit easily under an airline seat, plenty of people use these bags as EDCs. My boyfriend's work briefcase is a Pilot - he's traveled with it once; he liked it for travel, but he loves it for everyday use. (Though a word of warning - he packed it quite full when traveling and it became quite heavy to carry when out and about at our destinations without unpacking some of its contents. He doesn't have an absolute strap on it, which I'm sure would've helped.)
                kindness is contagious.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by noodles View Post
                  For a daypack, I was going to use the Co-Pilot but you're suggesting the Packing Cube Backpack Aeronaut (PCBP) or Daylight Backpack (DLBP) might be better alternatives? I'm still getting used to the abbreviations!

                  My shortlist for a daypack was down to the Co-Pilot, Synapse 19 or Daylight Backpack but I decided on the Co-Pilot because I prefer an over shoulder type bag to a backpack, especially if I'm already wearing the A45 as a backpack. I haven't ordered yet so I'll have a look at the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Packing Cube Backpack.

                  I thought having a small backpack and the Co-Pilot might be overkill but I can see your point if the CP is designed more for airline travel. I guess once the A45 is in the hotel room, the idea is to head out with the daypack and keep the CP locked up in the A45?
                  You are correct on the abbreviations (note there is a acronym "sticky" in the "Tom Bihn News and Everything Else" section with a list of abbreviations).

                  Getting the PCBP, PCSB or DLBP is like get a 2 items in 1 - a packing cube for transportation and a daypack when at your destination. Also, people use the PCSB attached to the back of the airplane seat to make an easy access bag while in flight (use TB Double Carabiners to attaché to the back of the seat).

                  Some other uses could be, for example:

                  1) The Co-Pilot can still be your main daypack but you can fit a PCSB in it as an extra bag to hold more items. If you get some Carabiners or TB Double Carabiners, you can even piggy back it onto the Co-Pilot or Absolute Shoulder Strap.

                  2) Another option is to use the Co-Pilot and the PCBP stored in the Co-Pilot. If tired of using the Co-Pilot on the shoulder, just slip it into the PCBP and you now have a backpack.

                  3) You could carry both the Co-Pilot and DLBP together if you know you need extra space to carry things.

                  Here is a review of the PCBP:
                  http://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/10/06/...ckpack_review/

                  Hope this helps

                  Cheers!
                  Last edited by tpnl; 12-29-2014, 09:50 PM.
                  TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                    Getting the PCBP, PCSB or DLBP is like get a 2 items in 1 - a packing cube for transportation and a daypack when at your destination. Also, people use the PCSB attached to the back of the airplane seat to make an easy access bag while in flight (use TB Double Carabiners to attaché to the back of the seat).

                    Some other uses could be, for example:

                    1) The Co-Pilot can still be your main daypack but you can fit a PCSB in it as an extra bag to hold more items. If you get some Carabiners or TB Double Carabiners, you can even piggy back it onto the Co-Pilot or Absolute Shoulder Strap.

                    2) Another option is to use the Co-Pilot and the PCBP stored in the Co-Pilot. If tired of using the Co-Pilot on the shoulder, just slip it into the PCBP and you now have a backpack.

                    3) You could carry both the Co-Pilot and DLBP together if you know you need extra space to carry things.

                    Here is a review of the PCBP:
                    Tom Bihn Convertible Packing Cube/Backpack Review

                    Hope this helps

                    Cheers!
                    Thanks tpnl, your posts are always very helpful.

                    I'm definitely sold on the PCBP which I didn't realise is a two in one which can be turned inside out to form a backpack or used as a packing cube. I think I'll get one of these.

                    You mentioned you've got 2 x PCSB's for your A45. Did you buy straps for these? They look like a lightweight shoulder bag (similar style to Co-Pilot) and the price of $32 is reasonable but the $18 extra for a strap takes them to $50 which is the same price as a PCBP. I think the PCBP is more useful than the PCSB with a greater volume (4.5 vs 16 liters), plus the CP kinda makes the PCSB redundant also being a shoulder bag.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Yes - I especially like the Aeronaut PCBP version as it has a separate divided compartment at the bottom - Good to separate "dirty items" - e.g. shoes.

                      I would agree that given you are getting a Co-Pilot, you do not need a PCSB. The PCBP is more useful than the PCSB as a bag.

                      Just as FYI - here is a good pic of the Co-Pilot and PCSB for comparison:
                      http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...ulder-bag.html

                      I use my PCSB to hold my big size 11 shoes so it works for me as a shoe bag when traveling (underwear, T-shirts in the other PCSB). I did not buy extra straps, I just reused my Aeronaut strap. Also, any shoulder strap will work that has snap-hooks at the end. For these smaller, lighter bags, you really do not need to buy a super duper shoulder strap - save your money and reuse what you have.

                      But, again, in the end, if I could only choose one, I would go for the PCBP to go with your A45/Co-Pilot.

                      Hope this helps

                      Cheers!

                      Edit - just came across this thread post of using an A45 and Co-Pilot:
                      http://forums.tombihn.com/bag-review...ot-review.html
                      Last edited by tpnl; 12-29-2014, 10:52 PM.
                      TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I love love love o-rings, but to use them you need pouches or key straps. So I focused on the smallest part of your order...the key straps!

                        I notice you have 2 Iberian straps. Some people (like me) like different color straps for different items: house keys on Iberian, Car keys on coyote, pouch on Wasabi...

                        Also, some people (like me) like contrast with the bag lining, so the strap is easier to see. Note that the Iberian strap will not show up in the Side Effect with Iberian lining. But the SE is a small bag, so maybe no big deal, but bear this in mind on larger/deeper bags.

                        I would add a pouch so you too can discover the joy of tethering. "When I took out my sunglasses, did I drop my small Double Organizer Pouch that has my passport in it??? I can't have, it's tethered, so it's got to be here. Oh, there it is."
                        What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X