Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,775   Posts: 190,637   Members: 6,657   Active Members: 262
Welcome to our newest member, Hudanibs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cafe bag buckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe bag buckles

Yesterday my mom said she was looking to buy a small crossbody bag for my grandma, who can no longer carry her over-the-shoulder purse when walking with a cane. Of course my first thought was the SCB. But I then realized that my grandma has arthritis in her hands, and I wasn't sure if she'd have trouble getting in and out of the bag.

Does anyone know if the buckle would be challenging for someone with arthritis to use? I'm a poor judge of these things, but perhaps one of you has firsthand (or secondhand) experience.
    kindness is contagious.

I've got arthritis in my hands, but not so badly that I can't use the café bag buckles. Is her arthritis severe? If so, you might consider a Side Effect, worn cross-body, instead.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Comment

If possible, could you get her an SCB, an SE and a DLBC so she can choose what she likes the most.

If everything she carries would fit snugly in an SCB, a DLBC would be better on days she needs zippers to get to things.

Alternativerly, she might be streamlining her EDC and an SE would be perfect.

Whatever TB bag she ends up choosing, she is more likely than not, to ask for the same in another color!

Comment

I wonder if the upcoming cross body knitting bag will work? It is reported to be the same size as a Little Swift, and if it has a tote-like opening, it might be the best of all worlds. I wonder if the zips are tough for arthritic hands too? If she finds a zipped bag she likes, perhaps an elongated zip pull would help. TB offers the paracord in a different colors in long lengths that you could knot to a length she likes best.

Comment

Thanks for the input! I don't know the extent of the arthritis, so that makes it a little bit challenging to pick out the right bag. But since I'll be seeing my grandma tomorrow, I'm going to bring along my like-new SE. If it works for her then it's all hers. If not, I'll let her check out my MCB to see if she likes the style and can handle the buckles.
          kindness is contagious.

Comment

I have arthritis in both hands, mainly in the thumb joints. I've always been able to manage the buckles although the ones on my newish LCB are stiffer than my well broken in MCB from 2004. I think the SCB might be a good fit, although it's too small for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I showed my grandma the SE and an old eBags brand purse that I haven't touched in awhile so she could check out a couple of options in person. She loved the SE - thought it was the perfect size to hold everything she needs when going to the store. Yay!
              kindness is contagious.

Comment

Originally posted by bermudajes View Post
                Well, I showed my grandma the SE and an old eBags brand purse that I haven't touched in awhile so she could check out a couple of options in person. She loved the SE - thought it was the perfect size to hold everything she needs when going to the store. Yay!
                What color will you get for her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I gave her my aubergine/wasabe SE. I wasn't using it enough - if I had one in dyneema that could fit my iPad mini it'd probably be my summer EDC. Now she's got a bag that fits her needs perfectly and I have an excuse to buy another
                  kindness is contagious.

Comment

Working...
                  X