Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,586   Posts: 188,402   Members: 6,562   Active Members: 320
Welcome to our newest member, mednowlabs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A30 as a personal item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A30 as a personal item?

I'm traveling to Florida in May and likely flying Spirit. The last time I flew Spirit, my work paid for me to check a bag, so I had no problems bringing just a small purse on board with me to get me through the flight. This time, however, I would really like to avoid checking luggage. My thought is to underpack my dyneema A30 as my "personal item" to avoid carry on luggage fees. This means, if questioned, I'd have to squeeze it into a 16"x14"x12" sizer. I don't think that should be a problem, but I'm still a bit nervous.

Anyone have luck using the A30 as a personal item on Spirit? Or not-so-great luck?
    kindness is contagious.

Hi, Just wondering if it worked out? I am thinking about getting the Aeronaut30, will be using it on Spirit as a personal item. Their new personal item policy states they'll allow upto 18”14”x8”. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comment

I carried my A30 on Frontier, which has the same carry on size restriction. I had it on in backpack mode, and left the top end pocket empty. You can scrunch the top end pocket down flat-ish if it's empty which I think helps make it look smaller. It should fit fine in the sizer too, I tried it at an empty gate before boarding.

Comment

Originally posted by sarah_atx View Post
        I carried my A30 on Frontier, which has the same carry on size restriction. I had it on in backpack mode, and left the top end pocket empty. You can scrunch the top end pocket down flat-ish if it's empty which I think helps make it look smaller. It should fit fine in the sizer too, I tried it at an empty gate before boarding.
        Thanks for your response (and the tips)!

Comment

@bailey unfortunately I still don't know! This particular trip (for a work conference) was moved from Florida to Skokie, IL, so I ended up driving. (And sadly I haven't flown much since then, either.) Based on the new size guidelines, though, I would think the A30 in halcyon would pass just fine as long as the end pockets weren't stuffed full.

Edit: And now I see the response above from @sarah_atx - Thanks! Very helpful!
          kindness is contagious.

Comment

So excited to share the following picture from my recent trip with Spirit Airlines using Aeronaut30 as a personal item! On @sarah_atx 's recommendation kept one of the side pockets of my A30 empty, and it beautifully passed the new Spirit Airlines personal item specs. Also, it was easy to slide it under the seat in front of me. With this, my long standing dream of flying minimally with only a personal item has come true. A30 is functional, sturdy, and beautiful!

I recommend the Halcyon A30 if you intend to use it as a personal item. It is much more flexible (and lighter).

(My only qualm is that it does not have space for my laptop, keeping it (the laptop) on top of all clothes made it some what difficult to balance (I am 5 2" 106 pounds). I am debating if I should use the compartment meant for the shoulder straps as a laptop sleeve? However, this is not a huge issue for me, I will figure something out.)

I LOVE my A30!
            Thanks everyone, hope this is helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	597.3 KB
ID:	301627Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	301628

Comment

Awesome, I'm glad it worked!

Having the laptop closer to your body would probably help, I haven't tried putting one in the backpack strap spot but other people have.

Comment

@bailey thanks for the pictures! I'm so glad it worked out so well for you. This seriously eases any concerns I had about flying light with Spirit. Now to book my next trip...
                kindness is contagious.

Comment

Fwiw I always toss my laptop in the backpack strap sleeve. It really works well!

Comment

Working...
                  X