Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,321   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, StatsChick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good place to start? DLBP and A30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good place to start? DLBP and A30?

I am new to Tom Bihn - have been scoping their bags out for a couple of years and finally decided to take my first plunge. I'd like to get two bags (one that can fit a 13" Macbook Air) that can fit inside one another but that make it easy to pull out the smaller bag for use on flights. Right now I am thinking about the DLBP and the A30, but would welcome other suggestions. I generally pack pretty light (Europe for 10 days and 3 seasons with my REI Vagabond Tour 40 backpack), but I run a lot so I always have (at times smelly and/or muddy) running shoes and associated gear. Maybe I need the A45? It would be great if one or both of the bags could double as race gear/drop bags! Suggestions for accessories also welcome!
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Welcome! When I read this I remembered a similar thread, which I will link in case it's helpful: http://forums.tombihn.com/general-ba...mbpr-dlbp.html

I can't speak to the DLBP, but I can say that your 13" Air would be a much easier fit than the 15" Pro from the above thread. I took a quick measurement (in my A30), and it looks like it would partially cut into one of the end pockets (a 15" cuts into an entire end pocket).

If the DLBP works (someone else needs to chime in on that), whether or not the A30 would work would largely depend on your comfort in packing your clothes in the remain space.

FYI: Your muddy shoes could go in an All Fabric End Pocket (or maybe a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag).

Comment

I suggest the A45 and DLBP. For a few ounces more weight and a few dollars more cost, the A45 is 1-1/2 times the volume of the A30. When partially full, the A45 doesn't flop around. I used the A45 and DLBP combination on a two week vacation in the US last September flying to and from Albuquerque and driving a rental car around New Mexico. They worked great together.

I haven't used an A30 so hopefully others that have used both it and the A45 will also comment.

Comment

What about the Tri-Star? You could put the DLBP in the center compartment.

Comment

Thank you for the advice everyone. Although the Tri-Star looks like a great bag, I think it won't work well as a race bag (one of the things I'd like to use this for). I am currently reading up one the A45 and A30 to see which might be the best. It does sound like the A45 might be the more versatile option--I am just not very good at underpacking for the space I have! I am pretty disappointed that TB doesn't have the DLBP in Dyneema right now, as it sounds like that might be considerably more packable given what I'd like to do. And thanks @brucep --I think that fabric cube sounds like a really good option for my shoes! Any other suggestions--should I be considering a different small bag? Ideally it would be something that would both work for a Macbook 13" for work related meetings as well as for dropbag supplies for races.
          A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Comment

Working...
          X