Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,895   Posts: 192,296   Members: 6,770   Active Members: 313
Welcome to our newest member, louisep.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field Journal Notebook as Knitting Journal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Journal Notebook as Knitting Journal?

For the knitters and FJN lovers, a question -- would the FJN make a good knitting journal? I am using Ravelry, of course, but would like a hard copy journal as well and am wondering if the FJN would do the trick. Would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has used it for that purpose.

Also, I assume it fits nicely in the Swift, but figured I better ask to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This won't directly answer your question, but may give you some other ideas for organization.

My FJN is on back order, but I can tell you what I do:

There is a web site that has templates you can print off to keep track of your projects. It is not the size of the FJN pages, but maybe it could be adjusted in a software program so it would fit? I may experiment with that today. It has room for details about the yarn, pattern, gauge, needles, a photo and notes you may have -- very similar to what Ravelry has, but in a form you could place in a spiral notebook. If I get a pattern through Ravelry or a web site where I just have a PDF file, I print it off, and store in binder pages I get from an office supply store.

Here is the link for the template:

Kathryn Ivy - Knitting Journal

Comment

Thanks, @prairiegl for the link! This looks very useful. I will have to get one of those mega hole punchers like @adalangdon and @Ilkyway have. I am sure with one of those, I can adapt the templates to fit the FJN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't have a FJN but those knitting journal pages look pretty cool. I just tried playing around with them and was able to print them to (what I think is) FJN size very easily. I cut some 8.5" x 11" in paper in half to make the 8.5"x 5.5" FJN size and set up my printer to use this as a custom paper size. Then when I went to print I used the scale option to downsize the original page to 70% it printed perfectly and it only took about 5 min of trying out a few printer options. If you do this and add the nifty hole punch @adalangdon and @Ilkyway have you'll be golden. You could probably even do this to print mini versions of patterns to keep with you. I always copy (or print an extra copy of) a pattern so I can mark it up and not mess up the original.
        Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Comment

Originally posted by jess View Post
          I just tried playing around with them and was able to print them to (what I think is) FJN size very easily. I cut some 8.5" x 11" in paper in half to make the 8.5"x 5.5" FJN size and set up my printer to use this as a custom paper size. Then when I went to print I used the scale option to downsize the original page to 70% it printed perfectly and it only took about 5 min of trying out a few printer options. If you do this and add the nifty hole punch @adalangdon and @Ilkyway have you'll be golden.
          So, you used just the paper that you cut to size or is there a way to put two/page? (Edited to add: I tried two/page at around 62-65% and the form nearest the center of the 8 1/2 X 11 puts the holes too close to the printed section. ) The 70% does seem to work pretty well, although I haven't tried punching holes in it. The only thing that can't be included, unless it's reduced quite a bit, is a photo of the project.

I have some Perf Fit paper I got from Franklin Covey, only it's in the pocket size. Their classic size might work nicely for this project.
          Last edited by prairiegl; 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X