Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,827   Posts: 191,321   Members: 6,701   Active Members: 267
Welcome to our newest member, StatsChick.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Study Abroad Day Trip Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Study Abroad Day Trip Bag

Hello, everyone! It's been a few months, and my Synapse 25 has been treating me very well. It's easily one of the most durable bags I've ever even seen, with plenty of well thought out features.

So I'm back, looking for a new bag. I'll be doing a study abroad in Spain this fall, and want a small shoulder bag I could take on day trips, or on small walks with a little bit of work. I've newly downsized my mobile computing setup to an iPad Air 2, and would like to be able to take that in a Cache, a notebook or two, and, on the larger side of the range I'm looking for, a single textbook. Bonus points for being easily packable in the S25.

Current potentials seem to be the Daylight BC and a small/medium Cafe Bag, but of course, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Originally posted by modulusshift View Post
    Hello, everyone! It's been a few months, and my Synapse 25 has been treating me very well. It's easily one of the most durable bags I've ever even seen, with plenty of well thought out features.

So I'm back, looking for a new bag. I'll be doing a study abroad in Spain this fall, and want a small shoulder bag I could take on day trips, or on small walks with a little bit of work. I've newly downsized my mobile computing setup to an iPad Air 2, and would like to be able to take that in a Cache, a notebook or two, and, on the larger side of the range I'm looking for, a single textbook. Bonus points for being easily packable in the S25.

Current potentials seem to be the Daylight BC and a small/medium Cafe Bag, but of course, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!
    TB doesn't make them anymore, but if you can find one on the used market the iPad Ristretto is a great way to tote around a full sized iPad (and with the built in padding you don't need a separate Cache). It should easily take any notebook that's the size of the iPad or smaller. It fits nicely in a Smart Alec, so my guess is it will pack well in your S25. It probably wouldn't do the textbook though.

Comment

How big is your textbook? If it's one of those 2" thick ones, you may be stuck with the DLBC if you'd like to carry the text together with the other items. Otherwise, I'd recommend the MCB if you anticipate picking stuff up as the day goes by (or need space for stuff like a foldable umbrella, hat, gloves). The SCB is fine if you want something really compact and don't need the extra space.

Comment

Sounds like MCB would be your best bet. It should hold all that easily and still give you room for even a larger, weightier text book. I had an SCB and it wouldn't have held any of my bigger books, although it's just about perfect for an average size paperback.

Comment

I have been spoiled by Tom Bihn bags which carry lots of stuff and weight nothing or next to nothing and feel so much a part of everyday life that I feel "in the buff", without them.

Being familiar with heavy textbooks, I have one rule when it comes to them, The Absolute Strap Absolute Shoulder Strap - The ultimate in comfortable shoulder straps - TOM BIHN.

So, Besides the DBC, the Large Cafe Bag, which fit inside the S25, the Co-Pilot and the Pilot might be an option as shoulder bag/purse/briefcase.

The SCB can only fit a paperback with some room for other things or a hardcover book with a TB wallet and a phone but not much more,

It won't fit letter size textbooks or the ones that are very very bulky, you are better off with the LCB if you want a Cafe Bag.

Comment

Working...
          X