Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,735   Posts: 190,218   Members: 6,596   Active Members: 265
Welcome to our newest member, josha.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ego for minimalist travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ego for minimalist travel

I am a minimalist and i'm looking for a new bag. i currently have the Synapse 19 and i adore it other than i prefer sling or messenger carry over backpack carry. I'm look for a multi use bag that is low profile and easy to grab and go but can still hold my gear. the two bags I am considering are the Ego and the Aeronaut 30. i really like the aeronaut 30 for the different carry options and slim profile but find it too big for what i might need and quite a bit more $ than i would want to spend.

my uses for the bag would be edc, weekend travel, short day hikes, city wandering, and future long term travel. i am a one bag person and if it doesnt fit i leave it behind. my question is how would the ego hold up in terms of weekend travel? i would be (hopefully) packing a pair of jeans, a couple tees, packable jacket, underwear and maybe a pair of shoes. i am 5'6, i travel via car, train, subway and bus. How does the ego hold up in crowds? any opinions greatly appreciated

I use the Ego as a work EDC rather than for travel, but your packing list should fit in the main compartment easily. There are also tons of pockets for smaller things like a phone, pens, notebook, travel documents, etc., making it entirely reasonable to one-bag it.

The Ego isn't a super slim profile, though. It's not bad (especially if you don't try to load up the front pocket too much, because it makes the bag bulge out into a barrel shape), but it's definitely not a small bag. I don't have one myself, but I wonder if the Pilot might suit you better?

Comment

I just want to "confirm" what you've already figured out - the A30, IMO, is not a great bag for an EDC, hikes, or city wandering. I love the bag for 3+ days of travel, but that's its only use for me.
      kindness is contagious.

Comment

Although you say you just want one bag, why not get a DLBP for your short hikes and either roll it up inside or pack clothes inside and put it inside your larger pack?

Comment

I use a SuperEgo with a packing cube and a brain cell for two to three day trips The packing cube also keeps the front flap from bulging outward. An Ego with a packing cube and a laptop packed between clothing in the cube works equally well.
          When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

I agree with @terayon - a Pilot might work for you but it would depend on how full your S19 gets with your current use. If you S19 is never full, the Pilot may fit the bill as it is about 1/3 smaller in volume. I carry my EDC Pilot cross-body messenger/courier style and LOVE IT!
            If needing about the same size as the S19, how about the ID (available now but is being retired)? It is a slim messenger bag. I have no experience with it as I do not have one but I was impressed with this long term review by @boolie:

Boolie's 11-Year Review of the ID - FIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHNFIELD TRIPS by TOM BIHN

I do have an Ego and agree again with @terayon that it can be quite thick if not packed a certain way. The amazing front open pocket is great to stuff things in but makes the bag more round. However, if you use packing cubes as @ceb says and pack vertically in the main compartment and only use the front compartment and zippered pocket for small thin items, you should be fine with keeping a low profile. BTW, I LOVE the many front pockets and the dual water/umbrella pockets.

Hope this helps
            Cheers!
            Last edited by tpnl; 05-11-2015, 08:16 PM.
            TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

I agree that the Pilot seems well suited for this use. I would suggest a Large Cafe Bag. Perhaps someone that owns a LCB could verify? elisa

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
                I agree that the Pilot seems well suited for this use. I would suggest a Large Cafe Bag. Perhaps someone that owns a LCB could verify? elisa
                I don't think a LCB would hold all of the clothes, much less everything else.

Comment

I think that if shoes are a must, the Ego is your best option as the they can go into the flap compartment if your shoe size is on the large side or if they are track shoes. I probably can fit flats or low-heeled shoes into my Pilot and LCB, but I'm a US womens' sz 6.

@marytattoo, the clothes will almost definitely fit in the LCB if he uses a appropriately-sized packing cube.
                  Last edited by adalangdon; 05-11-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I'd never get it to work even with a PC.

Comment

thanks everyone for your feedback! just wondering what size packing you think might fit in the LCB? im intrigued..... as a minimalist the goal is to see how can you go and i realize the ego would be a step up from my synapse which is never full. the pilot would be good but i am not a big fan of the aesthetics.

Comment

A Tristar medium packing cube fits really well in the LCB. There's a bit of room on top for rolled up jacket or pair of thin shoes. Looking at the dimensions, the Large Pilot cube looks like it would work, but I don't have one of those so I can't say for sure.

Comment

Yeah a large pilot cube fits. This bag is basically the LCB before it was called the LCB-- it's a bit deeper but the dimensions are nearly identical.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431448517.669735.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	296436

Comment

Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube shape might work a bit better for space utilization in LCB because of the match to the width. On the other hand, the Large Pilot Packing cube is slightly deeper (2.5" vs. 2.4" for Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube), so total volume packed is just slightly larger than for the Tri-Star Medium PC (6.7 L vs. 6.5 L). Depends on whether you have something long and skinny to use the extra space at the side (umbrella? other rolled item?)

moriond

ETA: BTW, I think the original posted option considering an Ego for slightly more packing but in Messenger format Style was probably a good call on the part of the poster, given his stated preferences. I like the ID Bag, for the slimmer profile, but I suspect the form factor of the Ego is a better match to the poster's carrying/access preferences, provided the front pockets aren't packed too full to make the bag thick to carry. Of course, LCB is way more minimalist.

ETA2: Just fixed a typo - my iPad entered "über" for cube. All those forum posts about learning German has had a pernicious effect on my touch screen keyboard, which spontaneously generated those umlauts!
                            Last edited by moriond; 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I used the MCB for a two-day trip last year. My packing list (in the first post) and pictures (further down) are here: http://forums.tombihn.com/packing-li...ight=hours+mcb

Granted, it was summertime and I did not pack shoes, but it worked out so nicely! I think the extra space in the LCB would allow for slightly bulkier clothing and/or an extra pair of shoes. I'm not quite brave enough to commit to such a small bag for long-term travel (yet) but for weekend trips, hikes, and just traveling around town, the cafe bags are a great minimalist bag (IMO).
                              kindness is contagious.

Comment

Working...
                              X