Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,630   Posts: 188,957   Members: 6,612   Active Members: 296
Thunder
Forum Member
Welcome to our newest member, Thunder.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uses for Lead's Pocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uses for Lead's Pocket?

I just got the Lead's Pocket (in Olive) and I'm trying to figure out the different uses for it. (I love Parapack, and this LP in Olive exterior with the interior Steel mixed with Coyote is really stunning - it works well with my Olive S25).

Do any forum members use the Lead's Pocket in conjunction with other bags for any other uses?
    Trying to draw on the great creativity of this forum!

I've done a search through the forums on the Lead's Pocket. I know the LP can be annex clipped into the BB, stored in the internal pocket of the S25, stored in a CP and in the internal bottom pocket of DLBP, and carried as a waist bag.

So far I've only thought of using my LP for my multitool, small flashlight, storing First Aid items, survival items, etc - just bringing it along with me on hikes in my DLBP.

I'm wondering what might be some urban EDC uses for the LP? Has anyone used it as a minimalist toiletries bag?

I'll post some pictures too.

Thanks.

LP Pics with S25 and 3DOC

LP in olive parapack
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	655.1 KB
ID:	296425

3DOC in olive parapack sitting on top of LP in S25

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	296426

Another view

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Size:	853.8 KB
ID:	296427

Lots of green

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Size:	715.9 KB
ID:	296428

Comment

I've never looked at the LP! I love its look so can't wait to read answers!

Comment

I'd bet it could be used in the Swift for knitting stuff. Or in conjunction with the FJ maybe?

Comment

Here's a review of the guide's pack with some info on the lead pocket.

some drumm : THE GUIDES PACK - A REVIEW

Comment

I did see that review marytattoo. I think I scoured the whole of the Internet trying to look for more ideas with the LP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What sets this accessory apart from the others is the built in organization and the padding. Organizationally it is like the Founder's briefcase except that you can fold it. The padding is great to carry delicate items like tablets, phablets or small to compact camera. If you add this to any bag, you get instant organization options. On its own, the 4 attachment points at the back allow you to carry it in a vertical or a horizontal orientation in addition to carrying it on your waist. It probably would make a good accessory for members of your family that have those military style backpacks with lots of molle attachment points.

In addition to the above, I have used the GPLP to add extra organization in the PCBP (TS / WS version) diagonally zippered pocket. I unfold it and put it in the pocket. Some pockets are reversed but it adds some more organization and structure to the Dyneema bag. Unfortunately it does not work in the DLBP.

It also fits in a PCSB and gives that bag some structure and a lot of organization in addition to adding an internal zippered area that is also padded.

I also use it as an organized version of a Snake Charmer and fit it wherever the Snake Charmer can fit. This is how I use it mostly.

I have used it in the bottom pocket of my S25 - just fits in there.

It fits perfectly in a vertical orientation into my Zephyr or Cadet allowing me room to put things.

Basically, everything you could use an SE for, you can do the same thing with the GPLP with more organization and longer. I could see it being used as a purse just like an SE could be used. It makes a very minimalist EDC carry. Dimensionally, it should fit an iPad mini - even fit in the zippered pocket (not the mesh one). Someone will need to check that for me as I do not have an iPad mini.

I could also see it used as a mini Freudian Slip with Pens, Sticky Notes, Paper Clips, small stapler, etc.

You could also hold a lot of camping stuff (spoons, forks, flashlights, maps, foldup cup, etc).

It would be good to hold stuff for any hobby that uses small parts - e.g. sewing kit or Model building stuff or painting supplies.

It may fit a few of @feijai's robots but I cannot tell for sure

Other features that may not be as obvious from pictures is that the bottom has 4 loops to hold things like pens, screw drivers, etc - clever place for them. There are 4 similar wider loops on the non-mesh pocket side. There are 2 O-Rings there as well and one inside the zippered pocket. There is even an additional O-Ring in the outside back pocket. The inside mesh pocket is divided and is actually 2 pockets - similar to how the DLBC front pocket is setup. There is a padded fabric lip around the edges that give protection on the sides and the zipper closure has a flap of Parapack fabric that goes over it to further prevent water from entering - similar to what is done on the Brain Bag. I would suspect that this accessory is quite weather proof.

The only other thing to note is that is longer comparatively to the SE - not an issue for me and a PCSB, for example, is longer but not necessarily for you if you want the shortest accessory possible.

YMMV but hope this starts more ideas and thoughts

Cheers!
              tpnl
              Volunteer *********
              Last edited by tpnl; 05-12-2015, 11:14 PM.
              TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

It's now on my wish list!

Comment

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
                  It also fits in a PCSB and gives that bag some structure and a lot of organization in addition to adding an internal zippered area that is also padded.
                  Thanks tpnl. I like all your ideas!

I'm glad I ordered the GPLP along with the PCSB on my recent order. I just now put the GPLP in the PCSB and that works amazingly well! It's like the PCSB has built-in organization now.

I have been thinking about potentially interchanging the CP with the PCSB when traveling with the Aeronaut 45 (for one-bagging purposes). Now having the GPLP internal organization within the PCSB makes this even more of a contender for personal item plane use.

Comment

Originally posted by imagineez View Post
                    3DOC in olive parapack sitting on top of LP in S25
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11673[/ATTACH]
                    Stop me if I am wrong, but isn't this a LP on top of a 3DOC? I want to make sure which bag is which.

If that is the case, can you answer a few questions about the LP/S25 combo. I just purchased an S25 to replace an S19 which was too small for me. I ordered it with a FS, but I thinking (if it works), a LP might be a better option.

Do you mid if I ask a few of questions:

1) How well does it work with the LP clipped in like that? Does the LP bounce around? Is it so big that it blocks access to the rest of the bag? Is it more a temporary solution, or does it work as a permanent installation?
                    2) What are you using to attach it to the bag?
                    3) Do you still have it installed, or have you moved on to something else?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

FYI - @MrMLK, in the picture, the Guide's Pack Lead Pocket is below the Parapack 3DFabric Organizer Cube.

One of the ways you can tell a GPLP is that the zipper is covered by a Parapack flap.

But, to answer what I think you are asking, the GPLP can be used in the same position as the Parapack 3DFOC in the picture. I use an extra pair of Gatekeeper Rails Clips (can order from the parts page) to hook the GPLP to the S25 Rail loops instead of the Double Carabiners in the picture. This is because the GPLP is a bit wide for the top of the Synapse 25. The clips lower the GPLP so it just clears the S25 zippers - so it does not bounce much. YMMV but it does cover a bit of the elastic pocket - I just flip the GPLP over to get at the insides so it is fine for me.
                      The GPLP fits in the bottom S25 pocket and I flip between the 2 depending on what I carry but it can be a permanent setup.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
                      tpnl
                      Volunteer *********
                      Last edited by tpnl; 07-13-2015, 11:02 PM.
                      TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait and see how the Freudian Slop works before I try anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMLK View Post
                          Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait and see how the Freudian Slop works before I try anything else.
                          I think that's a great idea to try out the FS and see how it works for you. I have my FS always present in my S25, and it's great for quick access to things. But it's not enough for my own specific needs - hence the 3DFOC at the top (that you see in the picture) for even quicker access to things when I zip open my bag.

So I end up keeping the 3DFOC always there (at the top position with the double carabiners), as it is easy to flip over and out of the bag as tpnl mentioned (and not be in the way if I need greater access). For me personally, the GPLP would be too large and weighty in that same top position (given how much I put into it). In my case, it would make the top of the bag sag, I'm pretty sure.

I've tended to keep my GPLP in the outer lower pocket of the S25, which has worked really well for me. I manage to also fit my SE (in black dyneema) along with the GPLP in that same pocket. Amazingly they both fit.

I've been planning to take more pictures of my GPLP with stuff in it - I will (hopefully soon) revive this thread with more pics because I think the GPLP is often overlooked as another possibility for organization within bags. I'm really glad I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMLK View Post
                            [email protected] "Freudian Slop"

Comment

I've tended to keep my GPLP in the outer lower pocket of the S25, which has worked really well for me.
                              This was actually my original idea, but I didn't think it would fit. Would you mind posting a picture or two of the LP in the pocket? How tight is it? Does it deform the S25 much?

I manage to also fit my SE (in black dyneema) along with the GPLP in that same pocket. Amazingly they both fit.
                              What is an SE?

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X