Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,773   Posts: 190,625   Members: 6,656   Active Members: 263
Welcome to our newest member, basil.bourque.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aeronaut 30 or Western Flyer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me choose wisely - Aeronaut 30 or Western Flyer (dyneema with absolute strap)

I've had a few work-related trips where our wheeled carry-on garment bag is too big and bulky. I'd like to downsize.

Planned Use - 1-4 nights for business travel (with suit jacket) or 1 week for leisure travel

Me - 5' tall, size 7 shoes, not as strong as I used to be, minimal toiletries, not an ultralight packer, just ultra-small clothes

Laptop - 15" work laptop with cache that will be carried in DLBP (dyneema on back order) everyday and for travel. It's heavy, but I can't change it unless I spill coffee on it (again...hmm).

Reasons for A30
    1. Prefer Iberian interior
    2. Familiar structure for packing
    3. Size may be just right. I had borrowed my daughter's SA for 8 days in Hawaii, and most everything fit.
    4. My daughter prefers this bag and may borrow it

But...
    1. On back order til July (would like by mid-June)
    2. May get too heavy when carried with DLBP/laptop

Reasons for WF
    1. Available now
    2. DLBP fits flat inside - very cool
    3. Smaller size limits weight more than A30 - good for my back

But...
    1. It requires a new packing style. I do have EC packing cubes. Worked perfectly in SA.
    2. Will it fit work clothes for 3-5 days?
    3. What would I put in the small pockets if I already have the DLBP?

So, should I wait for the A30 or will the WF meet my needs?

Also, would a 20-oz Camelbak Groove bottle fit in the water bottle pocket of the WF?

Thanks!

I don't have both myself to compare but I do have a western flyer, Tristar and aeronaut 45 so understand the different packing styles/options.

I bought my western flyer last after finding that some trips just didn't need the size of the a45 or even Tristar.

I bought it for short work or leisure travel (in navy/ultraviolet).

I find that is favours the flat packing you mention such as laptop and DLBC (although I travel with a PCBP as standard) and I really like its style and pockets. I've never gone more than 3 days with it though. I have used EC cubes with it also.

I think though that the A30 size is a sweet spot for a more overall bag for multiple uses. Also cube packing (although perfectly doable in the WF) is even easier in the aeronaut style as you can mix and match the cube layout. I've never really though been as comfortable carrying a laptop in the aeronaut as it just doesn't seem to have a dedicated space like in the WF.

If work we're going to be the more frequent activity, I'd go with the WF but if a more general bag is required then go with A30.

I often though get stuck with colour preferences (availability) dictating my choices. Two things to note. The back order times are seldom as long as stated which is great. Or email/call and ask if they have any not listed on website. I recently did this and got a navy/ultraviolet synapse 19 not showing on he website.

I genuinely believe though that either will suit you well and you won't be disappointed. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Comment

A30 or Wester Flyer

Originally posted by FrozenJ View Post
      Please help me choose wisely - Aeronaut 30 or Western Flyer (dyneema with absolute strap)

I've had a few work-related trips where our wheeled carry-on garment bag is too big and bulky. I'd like to downsize.

Planned Use - 1-4 nights for business travel (with suit jacket) or 1 week for leisure travel

Me - 5' tall, size 7 shoes, not as strong as I used to be, minimal toiletries, not an ultralight packer, just ultra-small clothes

Laptop - 15" work laptop with cache that will be carried in DLBP (dyneema on back order) everyday and for travel. It's heavy, but I can't change it unless I spill coffee on it (again...hmm).

Reasons for A30
      1. Prefer Iberian interior
      2. Familiar structure for packing
      3. Size may be just right. I had borrowed my daughter's SA for 8 days in Hawaii, and most everything fit.
      4. My daughter prefers this bag and may borrow it

But...
      1. On back order til July (would like by mid-June)
      2. May get too heavy when carried with DLBP/laptop

Reasons for WF
      1. Available now
      2. DLBP fits flat inside - very cool
      3. Smaller size limits weight more than A30 - good for my back

But...
      1. It requires a new packing style. I do have EC packing cubes. Worked perfectly in SA.
      2. Will it fit work clothes for 3-5 days?
      3. What would I put in the small pockets if I already have the DLBP?

So, should I wait for the A30 or will the WF meet my needs?

Also, would a 20-oz Camelbak Groove bottle fit in the water bottle pocket of the WF?

Thanks!
      Hi Frozen,
      To begin with the Aeronaut doesn't seem to be on back order according to what I saw earlier today!
      I don't have a Wester Flyer so I am sure others will comment about that.
      I just got the A30 this week and practice packed including 2 stuffed full large A 30 TB packing cubes in the main compartment!

i find that the A30 design is much easier to pack than the clam shell design. It's larger than than the WF so it should hold more than the WF! You can reduce weight with lightweight travel friendly quick drying wrinkle resistant clothes being willing to do sink washes and packing less.
      i don't use a water bottle but if it is 13 inches or less in length it should probably fit! Also I would add if you have to go into your bag while traveling I feel the design of the A30 makes it more secure!
      I don't have a DLBP but I would guess it would fit flat if less than 13 -14 inches in length. The A30 can create more width than that by adjustng the walls of main compartment borrowing space from the end compartment(s)!
      Hope this helps

Comment

I'm not able to help with much since I don't have a Aeronaut 30, but I do have a Western Flyer. I'm taller than you and wear a larger shoe, and I was able to comfortably pack 3 days of work clothes and yoga gear (including a travel mat) in my Western Flyer.

Comment

I have both the A30 and WF and I'm not quite 5'1" but my shoe size is smaller (5 mostly, 6 in running shoes). Can you clarify if you will be carrying the DLBP on your back and then plan to hand or shoulder carry the A30 or WF? Do you plan on packing a lot of shoes? If you give me a sample packing list, I can test pack and take pictures. I also have a DLBP.

There's another thread where a few of us weigh in on these two bags--all three of us under 5'4". I'll try to find it (one my phone so it's hard to search right now).

ETA: http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...-lately-7.html. Look for the comments between me, bchaplin, and NWhikergal. Page 6 or 7 in the thread. Really great points to consider. NWhikergal ended up going with the WF because she wanted to pack her computer in the bag.

There's another post with a packing comparison I did between these two bags. @moriond, can you find it?

ETA2: I found the last link: http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...ce-travel.html

Last edited by Pokilani; 05-23-2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I realized that second link only includes pictures of the WF. Here are pictures of the A30 with the same stuff.

Comment

Thank you all for responding!

Perseffect - I haven't had a lot of notice when having to travel for work, so at this point, upcoming travel is for pleasure. But, having to carry that laptop is something to consider. I'll call in early June to check if they have a stray A30 in Dyneema floating about. Thanks for the suggestion.

Packbetter - I checked again, but the A30 in Black Dyneema is still on back order until late July. I really want this fabric for the weight savings. I've been looking at some of the lightweight travel clothing, but most specialty clothes aren't offered in petite sizes. I'm so short I have to get petite pants hemmed. I read your post on packing a suit, so I'll have to look at those videos. I'm used to packing a garment bag.

Rae - 3 days is the most I've been away for work so far. I hope to keep it that way. I do have a travel mat, but I actually forgot. I just used a towel on the floor to do some poses. Would not work for real yoga.

Pokilani - Thank you for the links and offer. I'll add a sample packing list separately. I was planning on carrying the DLBP on my back and the WF/A30 on my shoulder with the absolute strap. Is the A30 as comfortable to carry as the WF? I've carried a packed SA with no problems.

I know the WF is better designed to carry a laptop, but in the A30, would I have room to pack the laptop (14.6 x 9.8 x 0.91) and use the compression straps around it? If so, this may be the way to put most everything in 1 bag on my back.

Edit: I found some posts that it's possible to put the laptop inside, but it will not just slide in. Still, that would be easier than carrying 2 heavy bags.

Edit2: Packing list post waiting for approval.

Thanks for your help!
              Last edited by FrozenJ; 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Pokilani, here's my sample packing list.

Let's say for 3 days, I would travel in jeans, shirt, and a long wool cardigan (I'm in Canada - always cold). Then pack these:

Clothes
                2 wool suit jackets
                2 wool pants
                3 dress shirts
                3 camis
                1 yoga shorts
                1 leggings
                1 PJs
                3 days worth of unmentionables
                3 socks in winter for boots

Toiletries/makeup
                Usually fits in a bag the size of a 3DOC, including a ziploc bag of liquids, wood comb, no hairbrush

Shoes - at most 1 pair
                Without snow, 1 pair of low-heeled pumps (sadly, my feet won't let me wear high heels).
                With snow, I would wear my Ecco boots for travel and into the office. Instead, I would pack my minimalist shoes to wear inside the hotel.

DLBP (on back order til late May)
                15" laptop
                Chargers and cables in EC compartment sac
                Medium DOP for documents/receipts/pen/notepad
                Small OP with EDC stuff (bandaids, gum, lens wipes, etc)
                Leather wristlet for wallet/phone (bit bigger than 3DOC-smaller than Side Effect)
                Thin wool scarf - fits in small Spectre sac

I do have a Side Effect, PCSB, and several EC Spectre sacs/cubes/folder 15.
                I also have a DLBC on order.

Thanks so much!

Comment

Ok, I can get to this later today! I have most of these things (though I don't wear blazers anymore, but my partner still has some). For the dress shirts, are we talking a men's-like button shirt or more like a short sleeved women's silk blouse?

Comment

Pokilani, They are like the men's button down shirts. Long sleeved and cotton. I only wear jackets when I see clients, so I need to keep a few.

Thank you for taking the time!

Comment

Hard decision to make - A30 or WF.

Here is a another link - @milpool's experiences with a WF:

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...mbination.html

Here is another link to a discussion on using a WF for a petite female:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-...te-female.html

I refrain from commenting too much myself as I am not a petite female, I do not have an A30 and I am waiting to use my WF on a trip (I do not travel too often by plane and usually for business) but I can comment on why I selected a WF:

- the 2 wide compartments (compared to the TS) are a great size for holding both bulky (e.g. shoes) and thin long items that I carry and should meet my light packing needs for 2-3 day trips (YMMV)
                      - it really looks small and can pass a personal item as other posts indicate if needed
                      - the backpack strap pocket will fit a 15" laptop though your YMMV - the only restriction is width of laptop needs to be less than 10" to be easily removable and the other compartment not too tightly packed. Also, because of the padding of the straps and the back wall padding, it is surprisingly well protected IMHO
                      - small enough looking that it can double as a business briefcase if needed
                      - DLBP can double as a packing cube better in WF (you mentioned this already)

All this being said, I feel the WF is optimally designed for business type travel with optional personal travel. The A30 is the opposite - optimal personal travel with optional business travel.

I vote for the WF as business travel seems to be your key requirement as well as being slightly lighter (~2.6 oz ligher than A30 if I read the specs right). It also looks, from the other posts that it would fit all your travel stuff fine. I would choose the A30 if I wanted the extra packing "wiggle room" for "just in case" - but that would also be adding weight for the extra you would be carrying.

On a side note, if you will be doing more travel for business, why not ask for a lighter laptop so you do not get any future shoulder / back problem - I am sure they could get you a smaller laptop if it were for health reasons.

FYI - I too love Iberian interiors and my WF is black ballistic with iberian inside - good choice! - but Dyneema / UV is also a very nice alternative.

I hope this helps

Cheers!
                      Last edited by tpnl; 05-25-2015, 07:20 PM.
                      TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Comment

Ok, I've done all the test packing and will post my review and pictures later tonight. Sorry, the weekend has gotten away from me. [emoji4]

Comment

Hey FrozenJ.
                          I pulled out my old 15" MBA. It will fit in the A30, but you'll need to unzip the zippers and steal space from the outside pockets. IMHO, this makes it awkward to pack the rest of the bag. Everything will fit though.

My A30 is ballistic and this definitely felt very heavy.
                          The load fit in the WF too. It was a tight fit, but because it's smaller and lighter (plus, mine is dyneema), if felt much lighter. Still heavy though and not something I would want to carry too long.

Personally, I would not want to carry all this stuff in one bag. The laptop and other stuff for that bag was very comfortable in the DLBP, but it felt awkward to me to then carry the WF or A30 via the shoulder strap. I've done this before though, but definitely got tired.
                          The sweet spot for me was the WF with all the clothing, shoes, toiletries, and laptop on my back and the rest of the stuff in the DLBC. The WF was perfectly comfortable on my back and it is great to be able to access things in the DLBC. There was plenty of room for a water bottle and light sweater.

ETA if you need the DLBP at your destination, there is space for it either in the WF or the DLBC.

Last edited by Pokilani; 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Pokilani - A million Thanks!

Thank you for taking so much of your time on this! I like the idea of using the DLBC with the WF. I'd like to be able to walk at least 15 mins with this load. That's my cutoff before calling a taxi (unless the weather is bad). I would bring the DLBP to carry the laptop without the WF.

To express my gratitude, may this picture bring you a smile. It's my wonder dog as she's comforting my sick daughter last week. Too bad my daughter's SA is out of the picture. It's probably on the floor by the bookshelf.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	296535

Comment

Thanks, tpnl! Your post did help.

I've been meaning to ask for a lighter laptop, because I have had back issues.

Today, I asked our project manager about giving my laptop to someone who needs a better machine (like he does) so I can go lighter. I can't go too small. I still need 16 GB RAM and enough screen size for working, but I don't need the DVD drive that I have. He wants to speak to the boss man with me later this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X