Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colorway anxiety!

I am a TB newbie, contemplating my first order. I'm wanting a Pilot, both for EDC and as an air travel carryon.

I am a dedicated black ballistic bags person. I own a fleet of black ballistic bags. It's not that I don't like color, it's that I got the matchy-matchy gene.

But I loooove bright linings, and right now the black Pilot is only available with a steel lining. So I am considering branching out, either to navy/uv or aubergine/wasabi (I can't decide), particularly since the bag will so often be used on its own.

How often do new colorways come out? Because if a black Pilot showed up next week with a bright lining...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can call the Tom Bihn customer service and ask. Sometimes they can help with info like that.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Aubergine/Wasabi. Speaking from experience, it's a nice complement to all the black bags. By the way, you will find that Bihnites (as we often call ourselves) are great enablers :-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums @catherder,

My recollection is that they released the Pilot in Black/Wasabi and Black/Iberian (in addition to Black/Steel) when it debuted in early February 2014, and that these colors were again available for order in Fall of 2014 (originally for back order by November, but I think Black/Wasabi made it back by the end of October). After the beginning of the year (i.e., past January 2015, when the end of year production batches sold out), they introduced Black/Iberian again around May(?), and I believe it was sold out by around the third week in June. I don't recall seeing any other Black Ballistic Pilot color combinations that are not Steel since then. @bchaplin is correct: calling or emailing customer service is your best bet. Alternatively, Navy/UV and Aubergine/Wasabi are both great color combinations. (And it took nearly a year after the debut of the Pilot before they offered it in Aubergine!. Here's an excerpt of some of that discussion from the old Backorder Updates/Back in Stock thread back in January 2015:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Ilkyway, this is the first time the Pilot has ever been offered in Aubergine since its release (end of January 2014). And at the time I wrote my response to @celtical in another thread, where I suggested that maybe we could ask for an Aubergine Pilot to celebrate the anniversary of its release, the Aubergine/Wasabi pre-order option for the Pilot definitely wasn't up on the web site. I'm not going to complain that it appeared a few hours after my post, even if we do have to wait until late March for a delivery!

moriond
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    moriond believe it or not I checked every day for this option. Yesterday I saw it first on my phone (last check of Tom Bihn page before sleep) and had to fire up my Computer to see if I was really seeing it right.
    I have a Navy Pilot and it has grown on me but Aubergine is Aubergine and no arguing about that.

Ilkyway
    HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! You guys are fantastic. I have a lot of red accessories, so I'd been leaning towards the blue (plus, as someone here pointed out in another post, the blue is the color of a TARDIS, which sounds exactly like what I want in an EDC). But, I tend to wear a lot of purple/plum tones like the aubergine, so it would be a great complement to my wardrobe (either that or it would clash wildly, but I'm going to go with 'complement' as a first guess). And yes, it looks great with black.

Decisions, decisions. I can definitely see how people end up with multiples of the same bag!

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wear a lot of plum, I would recommend going with the navy/UV. While I do love the aubergine, it does not play nicely with plum. The navy does, however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    If you wear a lot of plum, I would recommend going with the navy/UV. While I do love the aubergine, it does not play nicely with plum. The navy does, however.
    I agree with @brendabethman that if you wear shades like plum, the navy/UV combination will work better for you. Aubergine is a redder shade (which lets that color work with a Wasabi lining). Here's a picture of a Plum Brain Bag with an Aubergine Little Swift that @ncb4 posted:

This was also discussed in the Do plum and aubergine go together? thread.

Navy will go better with reds and purples in general.

moriond

ETA: You can also see some of the different color combinations in threads like @Ilkyway's All my blues, including Azure Her dark navies are pretty accurate in color. Mine (in post #11) are less color accurate, but you can see some of the comparison with plum in the picture above it. For another idea of the range of TB colors, try the Blues and reds in organizer pouches thread. You can see what Aubergine looks like against Cardinal red in @adalangdon's post (#7), and a lot of other colors in my post (#13), which doesn't have plum in the line-up of pouches (because I hadn't seen the Double Organizer Pouches issued in that color at that time), but does include some purple pouches later in the post.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-26-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ended up going for the navy/uv, and outfitting it with a bunch of colorful goodies. Crazy excited!

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    Well, I ended up going for the navy/uv, and outfitting it with a bunch of colorful goodies. Crazy excited!
    You're gonna love it. Navy/UV look so gorgeous together. Then there's the beautiful TB quality. Hope you love your new bag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone put indigo and sapphire next to each other? I keep seeing photos of what I think is the same color but are identified as different colors by the posters. I have a little cordura pouch in one of these colors.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgirl View Post
    Can anyone put indigo and sapphire next to each other? I keep seeing photos of what I think is the same color but are identified as different colors by the posters. I have a little cordura pouch in one of these colors.
    @adalangdon posted some pictures of Indigo next to Sapphire in her Indigo v Sapphire, Forest v Conifer thread. The problem is that it's really difficult to accurately capture Indigo in a photo. If your Cordura pouch is made of the finer, 500d texture Cordura used for older bag linings, then it has to be Sapphire, since there was never any 500d indigo Cordura, but they didn't make a lot of 500d Cordura Sapphire pouches. (There were some from the remaining 500d Sapphire used to line that last batch of ID bags; I managed to get a small, 500d Sapphire Double Organizer Pouch). Generally, anyone who has Indigo, has a really hard time capturing the color. I tried a picture of Sapphire vs Indigo in post #16 of @Ilkyway's All my blues, including Azure thread, and there are other identified Sapphire and Indigo items in the pictures in that thread.

HTH

moriond

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question. I believe this is sapphire next to island, but I'm not 100%. Both are lovely against coyote.

Colorway anxiety!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1440734329-526916-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *