Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A proposed improvement: zipper tabs

i own an aeronaut 30 and 45 and with both of them i find myself looking for something to hold onto for resistance when using the zippers. a small tab at the end of each zipper would be a nice improvement. agree? disagree? am i missing something? am i zipper challenged?

i noticed these on my friends tumi bag. excuse the poor quality photo, i took it in a moving vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images A proposed improvement: zipper tabs-image-jpg 

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casun View Post
    i own an aeronaut 30 and 45 and with both of them i find myself looking for something to hold onto for resistance when using the zippers. a small tab at the end of each zipper would be a nice improvement. agree? disagree? am i missing something? am i zipper challenged?

i noticed these on my friends tumi bag. excuse the poor quality photo, i took it in a moving vehicle.
    disagree. IMHO, not only are tabs like that a pointless complication, they would actually reduce the utility of the zippers by covering up the hole in the pull that allows a user to thread a piece of paracord or a lock or ziptie through the zipper. (furthermore, on any bag i’ve seen with those tabs, a significant percentage have always fallen off.)

if you need something to add grippiness, have you tried cord zipper pulls? they are a simple, inexpensive (and reversible) customizable solution:

Cord Zipper Pulls - Replace the metal zipper pulls on your bag with Cord Zipper Pulls - TOM BIHN
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 08-27-2015 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zipper tab

@bb93fo57 I believe casun is commenting on the little tag/tab sewn directly on the bag which one holds while using the zipper.

While I understand the intended purpose, I prefer the cleaner look of the TB zipper area and don't particularly like the aesthetic of the little tag (and would like it even less if it curled/wasn't flat). Using a zipper is typically a two-hand motion for me, especially with ballistic, but I just grip the bag itself somewhere and that's been fine for me.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    @bb93fo57 I believe casun is commenting on the little tag/tab sewn directly on the bag which one holds while using the zipper.

While I understand the intended purpose, I prefer the cleaner look of the TB zipper area and don't particularly like the aesthetic of the little tag (and would like it even less if it curled/wasn't flat). Using a zipper is typically a two-hand motion for me, especially with ballistic, but I just grip the bag itself somewhere and that's been fine for me.
    oooops, i clearly misunderstood. sorry!

thanks for clarifying @threeteez.

so this is something not on the pull itself, but sewn into the bag? (based on the description, i thought the OP meant something to provide additional grip on the zipper pull itself... and couldn't tell what the blurry photo depicted.)

if i understand correctly and this refers to a little appendage sewn onto the bag, i am with threeteez about preferring the "cleaner look of the TB zipper area and don't particularly like the aesthetic of the little tag." :-)
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 08-27-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good example of this is the Snake Charmer, which has the tabs on the sides of it: Snake Charmer - Organize and tame your cables with this handy pouch - TOM BIHN

"We added tabs on the sides to give you something to pull against when zipping the Snake Charmer shut, making that task just a little easier."
    Current EDC: S25 (BlkHyc)
    Current Closet: BB (Blk/Blk/Blk), SA (Blk/Blk/Iberian), UMP (Blk), TT(Island)
    Owner of All Day Ruckoff

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllDayRuckoff View Post
    A good example of this is the Snake Charmer, which has the tabs on the sides of it: Snake Charmer - Organize and tame your cables with this handy pouch - TOM BIHN

"We added tabs on the sides to give you something to pull against when zipping the Snake Charmer shut, making that task just a little easier."
    Yes, the reason the zipper tabs are more necessary for the Snake Charmer is that its fabric (mesh and especially the light weight 500d Cordura fabric of the Snake Charmers up to a couple of years ago) and the generally sprawly nature of the contents it was originally designed for (cables and cords) made the fabric around the zippers distort a lot. I don't generally find that to be an issue on my Aeronauts, which are all Ballistic Nylon, even the old A45 models that come from the first production batch where the Ballistic nylon has softened over 9 years. Is it an issue for the Dyneema Aeronauts? (I don't have problems using the current zippers on my Dyneema Western Flyer, but the Aeronauts have that long, U-shaped zippered opening).

Is the original poster's finding it inconvenient to use all the Aeronaut zippers (end compartments, too)? I do find that it was easier to work the zippers on bags before they went to their reversed zipper designs starting with the Pilot over a year and a half ago, but I'd personally still prefer not to have extra tabs on the Aeronaut.

moriond