Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Thanks for this info on urethane coatings, @Darcy. What you say tracks completely with my experience of other manufacturers' bags. A while after we moved from Cleveland, Ohio to the tropics of north Queensland, Australia* the interior coatings of our some of our outdoor-fabric clothing and non-TB goods like packs and packing cubes began to perish--sometimes delaminating, sometimes clouding, sometimes becoming sticky and unpleasantly smelly. Turns out that this was the tip of the iceberg: many materials perish fairly quickly in this harsh climate. While generally this is a problem, there is a silver lining with regard to our mountains of packing cubes from other manufacturers (I was a convert long before discovering TB): soon I'll be able to justify buying new ones, now from Tom Bihn! Smilie

* Although we are in a small area of 'dry tropics,' caused by a rain shadow, that relative concept means it's somewhat drier here than in the 'wet tropics'; it's still plenty humid all year round and monsoonal when we get a proper wet season.
    Kaz, I wasn't clear, have you found that TB bags also get sticky/smelly/yucky from humidity? I'm in northern NSW and it isn't as humid as there but not far off (90% yesterday apparently) so I wondered how much I should be worried about my collection? Have you taken any steps to avoid this happening? Any suggestions?

Forum Member
    Fargo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, I thought you were talking about a petor something, and no "l".....and I just couldn't picture a dog managing those gymnastics so thought it must've been a cat......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've found why this peeling is happening and I think it's a design flaw. I havenít used my pilot much since I got it, but Iím also starting to see this issue. Whenever you hold the handle of the bag, it will bend and flex a little (Depending on how full it is) in that particular spot in the top center of the main compartment.

Over time, repeated flexings will cause the urethane to come apart.

At least, this is my theory, especially since it seems to be happening in the same spot on peopleís bags. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images Inside of pilot peeling-pilot-jpg 

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Thanks for this info on urethane coatings, @Darcy. What you say tracks completely with my experience of other manufacturers' bags. A while after we moved from Cleveland, Ohio to the tropics of north Queensland, Australia* the interior coatings of our some of our outdoor-fabric clothing and non-TB goods like packs and packing cubes began to perish--sometimes delaminating, sometimes clouding, sometimes becoming sticky and unpleasantly smelly. Turns out that this was the tip of the iceberg: many materials perish fairly quickly in this harsh climate. While generally this is a problem, there is a silver lining with regard to our mountains of packing cubes from other manufacturers (I was a convert long before discovering TB): soon I'll be able to justify buying new ones, now from Tom Bihn! Smilie

* Although we are in a small area of 'dry tropics,' caused by a rain shadow, that relative concept means it's somewhat drier here than in the 'wet tropics'; it's still plenty humid all year round and monsoonal when we get a proper wet season.
    Akronite here!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had noticed the discolouration in my ID and didn't think anything of it until I read this thread.

Now that I've gone and looked at my bag more closely, I see the peeling is happening to mine as well.

Inside of pilot peeling-bottom-left-jpg
    Inside of pilot peeling-bottom-right-jpg
    Inside of pilot peeling-top-left-jpg
    Inside of pilot peeling-top-right-jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, that looks quite bad EEK!

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    Kaz, I wasn't clear, have you found that TB bags also get sticky/smelly/yucky from humidity? ... Have you taken any steps to avoid this happening? Any suggestions?
    @Kirri: I didn't mean to cause alarm! My experience was that tropical heat and humidity seemed to precipitate the demise of the lining of a bunch of our older, non-TB items.

I have great confidence in the durability of my Tom Bihn goods. But good thought about strategies to maximise their longevity in our tough environment! I use de-humidifying crystals or other devices in our closets and storage cupboards (aka heat-and-humidity intensifiers) to help stave off mustiness and the mould that tends to appear on things (especially leather shoes and jackets). Now that I'm thinking about it, I should also store my smaller TB bags in a bin with a packet of crystals.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kaz, thanks that does make me feel better. The alarm stemmed from reading your post just after a weekend spent wiping mold off cupboard doors, inside and out, and feeling generally discouraged about the impossibility of avoiding mold on EVERYTHING at this time of year. (I don't even mind the leather shoes that suddenly spout white and green fuzziness all over as at least that wipes off, it is the stored antique fabrics I have and books that get me down.) The thought of it even attaching the precious TB items....!! I'll grab some crystals and hope for the best.

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirri View Post
    ... feeling generally discouraged about the impossibility of avoiding mold on EVERYTHING at this time of year.
    I hear you. I'm looking forward to the paradise of winter.Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to latch on to this discussion, but my synapse 25 has the same issue with peeling. From what I'm reading here I'm not the only one with the same problem. I also received a similar response from customer service when I contacted them.

From Kat:

"Though we use the highest quality fabrics, finished to the highest standards in the industry, the clear urethane coating (the "waterproof" coating on the interior of the fabric) is often one of the shortest-lived of all components, in our bags as well as in those of other manufacturers. Occasional batches of fabric will have coating that becomes opaque or white over time. We've found this can be a result of the climate in which a bag is used and/or stored (particularly humidity), or to chemical reactions to certain soaps or cosmetics carried in a bag or used to clean it; or, sometimes it just happens as a natural process. Generally, this clouding of the clear urethane coating is purely cosmetic.*

As you've noted, some peeling or degradation of water-repellant coating can be expected as a bag ages, but our coating is particularly likely to cloud if in a humid climate or machine washed and dried. Typically, we don't see a major effect on a bag's water resistance because of this, so we consider it within the realm of "normal wear and tear"."

While I understand the reasons, I'm quite surprised to see this happening. I've only seen this with other bags after a number of years. My synapse 25 is less than a year old.

Bag is great, but this situation is a bit disappointing.

CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgeek View Post
    Sorry to latch on to this discussion, but my synapse 25 has the same issue with peeling. From what I'm reading here I'm not the only one with the same problem. I also received a similar response from customer service when I contacted them.

From Kat:

"Though we use the highest quality fabrics, finished to the highest standards in the industry, the clear urethane coating (the "waterproof" coating on the interior of the fabric) is often one of the shortest-lived of all components, in our bags as well as in those of other manufacturers. Occasional batches of fabric will have coating that becomes opaque or white over time. We've found this can be a result of the climate in which a bag is used and/or stored (particularly humidity), or to chemical reactions to certain soaps or cosmetics carried in a bag or used to clean it; or, sometimes it just happens as a natural process. Generally, this clouding of the clear urethane coating is purely cosmetic.*

As you've noted, some peeling or degradation of water-repellant coating can be expected as a bag ages, but our coating is particularly likely to cloud if in a humid climate or machine washed and dried. Typically, we don't see a major effect on a bag's water resistance because of this, so we consider it within the realm of "normal wear and tear"."

While I understand the reasons, I'm quite surprised to see this happening. I've only seen this with other bags after a number of years. My synapse 25 is less than a year old.

Bag is great, but this situation is a bit disappointing.
    That is disappointing. I guess the only way to *repair it is to send it in for re-finishing/repairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, I've seen that happen to parapack too (i.e. lining disintegrating and turning brown). Sorry to hear of this happening to your S25 after so short a time.

Did you try and get a replacement from CS? I'm asking because you might have just been unlucky. I live in a very hot and humid place and some of my bags see lots of use, but this hasn't happened to me yet. Same for many folks here, I reckon.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious if this peeling is happening all over the inside of the bag or just in areas of "wear." In the very first photos it looks like it's peeling where the center pocket zipper is. Could the bulkiness of the center zipper rub the inside of the fabric? I know the end of the zipper is enclosed in the seam binding, but it is bulky and sharp. The other photos look like the peeling is happening in corners of the bag where items might rub when being carried or pulling in or out of the bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the pictures of my S25 bag, and the peeling

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    BTW, I've seen that happen to parapack too (i.e. lining disintegrating and turning brown). Sorry to hear of this happening to your S25 after so short a time.

Did you try and get a replacement from CS? I'm asking because you might have just been unlucky. I live in a very hot and humid place and some of my bags see lots of use, but this hasn't happened to me yet. Same for many folks here, I reckon.

I haven't asked CS for a replacement. I wanted to see how common this was and whether TB had replaced some with the same issue before asking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast