Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgeek View Post

These are the pictures of my S25 bag, and the peeling
    From my experience, when the backing peels like that it's because the bag is really old and/or hasn't been used in a long time. Unfortunate! And unusual. Hope you get a replacement soon.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can confirm part of design. This the a picture of the worst case: loaded with about 6lb gross weight, main and water bottle compartment upzipped:

Inside of pilot peeling-img_20161031_1535230-10-percent-jpg

Seems the weight from the 2 attachment points of the handle cause the middle to bend downwards, the fabric bends and the stress is concentrated where the fabric meets the horizontal piping, the 'sharp corner' (shown next to the top of the water bottle zipper), likely puts extra stress on the urethane lining at that point. I should emphasize that the problem is still there when everything is zipped up, just not as dramatic. Putting my schooling to work, haha.

Still love my Pilot, first TB bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I think I've found why this peeling is happening and I think it's a design flaw. I haven’t used my pilot much since I got it, but I’m also starting to see this issue. Whenever you hold the handle of the bag, it will bend and flex a little (Depending on how full it is) in that particular spot in the top center of the main compartment.

Over time, repeated flexings will cause the urethane to come apart.

At least, this is my theory, especially since it seems to be happening in the same spot on people’s bags. What do you think?
    Last edited by ZoeBios121; 10-31-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Embed Photo

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, I think the disintegration just happens as the treated material ages. It's not a design flaw. I had an Eddie Bauer duffel bag that was maybe 15 years old and the treated material disintegrated into sticky rolled up bits. I did not want that stuff on my dirty laundry (let alone clean clothes) so I ended up throwing the thing in the trash.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old are these bags?

My Co-Pilot has developed wear spots along the top of the main section and the front pockets. However, on the outside, no visible wear - it looks sharp. Bag is from the Portable Culture days - it is ageing gracefully, me thinks.

This CP has been my EDC for many years. It has served me well. Too lazy to fix color balance/ take a better - this CP is original nordic/ steel.
    Last edited by Walker; 12-18-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3