Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 22L Synapse please...

I've owned the Synapse 25 and the 19. Being a shorter guy, I stuck with the 19 and sold the 25 since it was a bit too large.

But something right in between would be perfect. The smaller synapse is great for a laptop and some small items, but I can't easily carry any gym gear in that bag. I can squeeze it in, but since the Synapse 19 doesn't have a back frame it's super uncomfortable.

So please, give us a middle child Synapse and I'll be first in line Smilie

P.S. - If you make it in black cuben fiber I will sacrifice my first born in your honor. NOBODY is making cuben fiber bags with plenty of pockets. I guarantee they will sell like hotcakes.
    Last edited by knifed; 09-04-2015 at 02:24 PM.

By the seaside, England
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the significance of cuben fiber, particularly? From what I can tell, it seems like a kind of reinforced version of Tyvek. Is there a specific advantage to it?
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like in Goldilocks, looking for the bed that was just right... Wink

I would love to see a mid-sized Synapse! I'm not familiar with cuben fiber, but 1000d Cordura, 420d Parapack, 400d Dyneema -- it would be just wonderful in any of those fabrics. Whichever Tom is in the mood to use to make the Synapse 22, I am sure it will be marvelous!
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    What's the significance of cuben fiber, particularly? From what I can tell, it seems like a kind of reinforced version of Tyvek. Is there a specific advantage to it?
    It's basically a super textile. Lets define what I'm talking about here as the ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE), made by Dyneema. It's sometimes called CTF3 or Cuben fiber. It's different than the Dyneema Tom Bihn uses which I believe is called Dyneema X.

Here's what it looks like:
    A 22L Synapse please...-2-jpg

The fabric is completely waterproof, super light weight and strong. Stronger and lighter than Tom Bihn's Dyneema. The black version of it also patina's nicely, gaining deeper blacks in the creases it gradually forms.

But it's actually its lack of deformation and stretch that is remarkable. Most bags are made of woven fabrics that subtly deform and stretch out. However, UHMWPE has almost zero stretch or give in any direction. This is important because the contents of your bag are constantly shifting around slightly as you move. When a bag fabric has stretch or give these internal movements cause the bag to deform with their momentum. This (very very) slowly stretches and wears the material, but also gives the bag a less stable feel when wearing it.

Finally, I was never a huge fan of the hatching Tom's Dyneema has. Using UHMWPE lets you have a single, flat color.

It has virtually no cons in this application, but if I have to name a few I'd list:

• The material is expensive
    • Initially, the material has that "crinkly" feel/sound to it that Tyvek does. Some people don't like this, but it surely goes away after the bag is broken in for a few weeks and softens up.
    Last edited by knifed; 09-05-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 22L Synapse please...

I do like the Cuben fiber for ultralight applications like backpacking. Not sure I'd go for it in a Synapse, though. One of the reasons I have both a Parapack S19 and a Dyneema S19 is for the slightly extra stuffing capacity of the Dyneema version due to the stretch. Also, I think the very small weight difference between the Cordura and Dyneema Synapse is because of the backpad, which is significant when considering whether the Cuben would matter all that much. I'd be interested in a Cuben Aeronaut 30 for the lighter weight, because it would make a bigger difference for that bag compared to the Synapse.
    Synapse 25 (black halcyon/uv) [my work EDC]
    Synapse 19 (black dyneema/iberian, black parapack/wasabi, steel dyneema/wasabi)
    Smart Alec (black dyneema/uv)
    Co-Pilot (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Small Cafe Bag (black dyneema/wasabi)
    Aeronaut 30 (aubergine/zest) | Aeronaut 45 (nordic halcyon/northwest sky)
    PCSB (steel, island) | SE (black/wasabi, black dyneema/uv, burnt orange/uv) | TT (uv, zest, fjord)

Forum Member
    Bangalore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo the call for the 22 litre Synapse. I am a cuben ignoramus. I would love it in Dyneema 400.
    Synapse 25, Aeronaut, TB packing cubes and accessories.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just me, or does the cuben fiber look like seaweed?
    -m

Forum Member
    Virginia
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Zpacks tent I love, but I have found the cuben fiber to be somewhat sheer. I don't know that I would prefer my backpack to be somewhat see through, if the material functioned the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 22L synapse would be just right. When used my synapse 19 while taking a course, I struggled to fit in a one inch binder and a lunch box (ziploc Tupperware). An extra inch or two would have made a huge difference.

In parapack would be perfect! Wink

PNW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for a Synapse in 22L. And since we're taking requests here, how about in MultiCam Black? Cool

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to see a 22L Synapse also, as the S25 is a bit big and the S19 too small. Don't know about the cuben fiber though..

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in on a 22L Synapse - I've been switching back and forth between my S19 and S25 almost weekly!
    Eat well, travel often.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    l also like the idea. Something similar has been mentioned in the context of the Smart Alec, and that would be even better. A bag sized for EDC use, but slightly more generous than the S19.

The cuben fiber is interesting but I would probably not buy it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for a Smart Alec Jr.!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast