Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently used my NTFD with my Daylight Backpack for a 4 day trip with a European Airline that has strict carry-on restrictions. Worked perfectly.

@nathant4 is absolutely right with his list

I will try to use the NFTD for picnic. Great idea!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size Travel Stuff Sack, when full, would fit in the end compartments? Assuming size #3? Size #4 looks a bit too big.
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another quick question: does anybody have a Dyneema Night Flight? Does it fall over and not keep its shape since it's not ballistic?

The Night Flight product page says it comes with a removable foam pad. Assuming that attaches to the bottom of the main compartment?
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeff, the pad for the NFTD fits inside the main compartment and goes all the way up the sides. Each end of the pad tucks into little flaps at the top. So, there's no Velcro or zippers or snaps or anything with the pad, and in my mind that's a good thing (seeing lint collect on Velcro gives me the heebie jeebies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Another quick question: does anybody have a Dyneema Night Flight? Does it fall over and not keep its shape since it's not ballistic?
    Hey Jeff,my dyneema NFTD has good structure and stability in the center section as long as that padding is in. The outer pockets, which are wider and hold way more than I originally expected, do sort of collapse in on themselves when empty, but the center section doesn't so the bag stays upright no problem. Take that padding out however....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    Hey Jeff,my dyneema NFTD has good structure and stability in the center section as long as that padding is in. The outer pockets, which are wider and hold way more than I originally expected, do sort of collapse in on themselves when empty, but the center section doesn't so the bag stays upright no problem. Take that padding out however....
    Completely agree - I posted my impression of this when the NFTD first came out. I subsequently learned that the benefit of this is that one can take out the padding and pack the NFTD in a suitcase collapsed down like an accordion, then put it back together for a carry-on bag for the return trip.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    What size Travel Stuff Sack, when full, would fit in the end compartments? Assuming size #3? Size #4 looks a bit too big.
    I only have size 3 TSS, so I fully stuffed it and I don't think a size 4 would fit.

It's a tight fit, but you can still close the zipper. There is a little room around the TSS for some small items, but the TSS bends a little into the big compartment of the NFTD.
    Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like it at all. Not all that easy to get in and out of, handles get in the way and not a good fit with the iPad. Used it with my young child on one long international trip and then put it in the back cupboard - too stiff and small. Much prefer my copilot even though it is not quite as accessible. Paired with the shopping bag, it is my best current happy family combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Dyneema night flight and a matching S19. The longest I've traveled is 3 weeks in Ireland in late May, all around the island with a final few days in Dublin to attend a work-related conference. I frequently travel a week at a time and have settled on the follow set up:

For the NFTD: I roll a pair of pants into each side pocket, and then cram a packing cube on top. Packing cubes have shirts, socks, underwear, etc. In the middle compartment goes toiletries cube, sneakers (NB minimus trail shoes, they're soft enough to fold a bit), stainless steel coffee cup and a pair of shorts. I can cram in a few more pieces of clothing, but I usually don't. Still a few unused pockets for random stuff.

For the S19: this carries my work, is a 13" MBP. The vertical freudian pull holds pretty much everything computer related on one side, with papers, magazines, metro-cards etc on the other. The big inside pocket is for a cap if I'm not wearing it. The tiny front pocket is for change and earphones. One side pocket has a travel umbrella, a travel leatherman, pens, etc. The other is sunglasses and car/house keys on one of the hooked strap things. Middle is where I stuff receipts and maybe a Grayl water bottle/filter if I think I'll be needing one. In the bottom pocket I stuff an ultra light down coat, cough drops, lip balm, ear plugs, etc.

PROS: This has been working extremely well for me. With S19 on back and NFTD across shoulder, I have no trouble running between flights or weaving through crowded areas. I wear a windbreaker that can be rolled up if too hot.

CONS: I can't carry much more if I pick up gifts or whatever. The shoes I wear are tough to pack into the middle compartment, and sometimes I've lashed them on top of the NFTD.

If I could, my runner-up dream NFTD would somehow allow for the two side pockets to be open to expose a single large compartment. My primary dream NFTD would have some kind of zipper on the bottom that, when unzipped, would cause the 4-sided bag to become 5-sided and swell to allow for more stuff. Sort of like an emergency duffel-bag mode. Sure it might look like the bag has a giant hemorrhoid.... hmmm.

Forum Member
    Mateh Binyamin, Israel
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrecting this thread to ask: has anyone successfully used the NFTD as a personal item on non-US carriers? I usually fly Swiss, Turkish, El Al, Brussels and Air France, and take either an Aeronaut or a rolling bag with a Pilot. I'd really like a NFTD to have a bit more space for onboard necessities, but I am worried I'll get called out for having too big of a bag. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump..

Can anyone take a picture of the NFTD ‘accodioned’ as @gostanford described? I’m intrigued by this bag. (though still hoping for the A30 style zipping dividers)
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the idea of this NFTD and really like try one.
    But its major setback for me is the main compartment couldn't accommodate a Windows 13" Laptop.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to collapse mine and photograph it - lighting's not very good at the moment but what's critical for this (in my opinion) is that the bag be in Halcyon/Dyneema. I originally ordered both a ballistic and a Dyneema (as it was called at the time) but I kept the Dyneema as it's significantly more collapsible.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Bump..

Can anyone take a picture of the NFTD ‘accodioned’ as @gostanford described? I’m intrigued by this bag. (though still hoping for the A30 style zipping dividers)
    OK, I know this request was made quite a while ago, but here are some pictures of the NFTD collapse down once the foam insert is removed. This is the Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi Night Flight Travel Duffel:

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3552-jpg
    Top view of the Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi NFTD with the foam insert in place

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3553-jpg
    Foam insert removed (sorry, these pics were taken with the flash on, because lighting had gone)

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3561-jpg
    Front view of the Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi NFTD with foam insert

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3560-jpg
    Front view of the Nordic Halcyon/Wasabi NFTD with foam insert pulled out and on the right

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3569-jpg
    The NFTD collapsed accordion fashion (this is just the two ends of the NFTD flattened)

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3565-jpg
    The folded, collapsed NFTD from the previous picture placed into a Size #3 TSS in NW Sky

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3571-jpg
    Another way to carry the collapsed NFTD using a larger accessory: the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in NW Sky. This picture shows both items

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3572-jpg
    The collapsed NFTD from the previous picture, placed inside the PCSB in NW Sky and zipped up.

I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do this with the Ballistic Nylon version of the NFTD, although I don't have one on hand to experiment with. I also don't think it would be easy to modify the design of the NFTD to zipper or snap out the extension into the end pockets and still maintain those separated organizational sections, because the current structure with separated sections also supports these more rigidly. If they're not seamed, the side pockets would pretty much collapse. (See, for example, some of the pics that I took to show the Travel Cubelet in the NFTD like this

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-img_3486-jpg

On the other hand, without the divided ends, I can fold up a Mini Size Yeoman Duffel and fit it into a Side Effect.

HTH

moriond

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    OK, I know this request was made quite a while ago, but here are some pictures of the NFTD collapse down once the foam insert is removed. ...
    @moriond, this post is what convinced me to get a NFTD. Thank you for showing how it can pack down so small with the foam insert removed! I think I usually will keep the foam insert in, but not always. (I bought the Original Halcyon/Wasabi one that another forum member recently posted on eBay, and I'm eagerly looking forward to its arrival.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2