Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed

Alrighty, I'm on the fence about the Night Flight Travel Duffle. I think it would be a great short trip, picnic/park, hotel room snack machine but I'm concerned about the smallness of the bag as a whole. Maybe that's the point, short and sweet Smilie

Possibly redundant with my Co-Pilot, S25 and Large Shop Bag? Not sure. I only fly a few times a year, if that, so the primary use would not be on a plane. I overpack my S25 so I'm always digging deep in the cavernous main compartment. The Night Flight's ability to keep most things at the same level definitely peaks my interest.

Fire away with your pro's and con's....as always, thanks Smilie
    Family, Guitar, Design, Travel....get after it!

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jeff A - I too own and adore both a S25 and Co-Pilot, yet find myself using the NFTD much more regularly...typically for overnighters or weekend trips where I'm able to pack light. As a true travel bag, I find it ideal as a domestic flight personal item and a great car trip companion. I've listed a few of my personal pros and cons below, hopefully we can help you decide if it's the right bag for you.

Pros:
    • Fits everything you would need and more as a personal item on a flight, including a full change of clothes and ample room for bulkier objects that might not fare well in the Co-Pilot.
    • Works equally as well for road trips. Long, small profile fits well in random trunk spaces or on car floors. It's often the last bag I'll pack since I can always squeeze it in somewhere.
    • Is very structurally sound, even when empty...and I never have to worry about it falling over as you might a backpack or messenger bag.
    • I typically pack the middle compartment with clothing, leaving side pockets free for toiletries or other miscellaneous items. I'm 6'2" medium build and am able to easily fit two full changes of clothing, with or without packing cubes.
    • Minimal internal organizational pockets, plenty of O-rings. This is a pro for me since I get to create my own organizational scheme with various OP's, TSS's, 3DCOC, and TT.

Cons:
    • Cannot accommodate letter-sized papers or magazines. I usually work around this by folding any important travel documents in half and storing them in a medium OP within the main compartment.
    • The NFTD is too small for medium to larger shoe sizes.
    • Technically too large as a personal item for most European airlines.
    • You'll receive plenty of glares from people who are jealous of your awesome bag.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nathant4 - Awesome info, thanks! Two full changes of clothing in the middle compartment, really? I'm 6'0" so we probably have similar sizes. Lots of great reasons here Smilie

San Pedro, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the Cons listed above.

As an inflight personal item, it's awesome. I usually put my toiletries, tech (iPhone, iPad, Bose headphones, cables, etc) and other inflight items (hand wipes), and it all fits underneath the seat in front of me WITH foot room. It's easy to pull out when the person in front of you is leaned back (and I'm 6'1" so space is at a premium then).

It's my preferred personal item when I'm not carrying a laptop.

Also in hotels, it tends to be my on the dresser/table organizer during trips. Since it is small, no one objects to it staying out.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one for a few days, but I returned it. Pros for me is the styling, I love love love the way this thing looks. Its so sharp and just cute. I like all the pockets, but they are streamlined pockets not the external, stick out, bellows patch pockets that I find on other bags (like from LL Bean) that clutter up the look. Cons for me is the inability to fit shoes without a lot of maneuvering, and I couldn't fit a pair of rolled up jeans without putting them in on the diagonal. Now if you could unhook one or both of the side pockets, like you can on the Aeronauts, I would have kept it.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely! As long as you're not packing anything too heavy (i.e. thick sweaters), you should have plenty of room for two pairs of pants, two long sleeve or collared shirts, a couple t-shirts, and underwear/socks. It is important to consider the shape of the main compartment changes as you go deeper towards the bottom of the bag (see the TB Crew's recommended orientation for the NFTD packing cubes on the product page).

I would recommend at least one packing cube for use in the main compartment. Beyond that, I've found that folding pants and shirts in thirds (like you might a letter) as opposed to my typical two folds, results in a more easily packed shape. See below for clarification:
    Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-nftd-fold-png

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! Are you putting your sole cube on the bottom or on top of your other clothes?

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're most welcome! Re: Packing cube location- It really depends on what I've stored in the cube. If it's a light sweater or something else that I've packed 'just in case', of course it goes in the bottom. If it contains clothing that I may need to access on the fly, up on top.

I always have an internal debate since logically it makes more sense to put the cube at the top so one can simply lift it out to access the clothing beneath, HOWEVER...

1. The amount of clothing that needs to be moved to access a cube at the bottom is relatively minimal.
    2. I'll often pack my TT in the main compartment and prefer that to be on top.
    3. The packing cube fits perfectly when oriented correctly in the bottom. Because of the main compartment's unique shape, there tends to be quite a lot of space available up top so I usually will fill the upper volume with more irregularly-shaped clothes/objects.

HTH

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between these pants-rolling blueprints and Ilkyway's rolling tutorial in the Yeoman thread, I'm really enjoying the graphics today!

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Two full changes of clothing in the middle compartment, really? I'm 6'0"
    Iím over 6í, and have been using the NFTD for trips up to 4 days.

Just got back from a 3-day trip using it last night, in fact. In the main compartment, I stacked two packing cubes vertically (like books, rather than horizontally). These held three shirts, a pair of shorts, and a couple pairs of underwear/socks. I filled up the remaining space in the main compartment with a pair of long pants. The Small Spiff Kit is a perfect fit in one end pocket; I stashed a Travel Tray in the other.

For trips on which you don't need to bring a second pair of shoes or a laptop, the NFTD is fantastic.

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too doubted the NFTD at first. But there's nothing like that sweet packing victory when it's your only bag on a multi-night or multi-week trip. In the car, it's king. I cannot praise it enough. What is the #1 downside then you ask? The fact that you cannot merge from 3 to 1 compartments. Yes, it's hard to fit big foot shoes in there. Yes, you aren't going to be able to rickroll your favorite oversized hoody. Adapt. Wear those bulkier items on the plane. Pick one pair of versatile shoes and go with it for your whole travel. Or, transition. I invested in a packable down jacket after seeing the brilliance in another forum member's post. So now I can have the warm coat but don't have to wear it in the airport...still only take my NFTD... and don't need the new yeoman. Sorry, crew but my days of packing a cavernous bag are behind me. NFTD = pack less, enjoy more.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading all this makes me think I should try either a DLBC/Imago/Co-Pilot/Pilot/Swift + NFTD combo for my next short trip. I can't lose the laptop-- ever!-- but who knows, there may be some upside to 2-bagging my load instead of throwing everything into a S25. Plus I'll then be able to look myself in the eye knowing that I'm using the NFTD "correctly"...

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Reading all this makes me think I should try either a DLBC/Imago/Co-Pilot/Pilot/Swift + NFTD combo for my next short trip. I can't lose the laptop-- ever!-- but who knows, there may be some upside to 2-bagging my load instead of throwing everything into a S25. Plus I'll then be able to look myself in the eye knowing that I'm using the NFTD "correctly"...
    With a laptop, the DLBP or S19 with the NTFD as a combo may be a good way to go. Easier to carry both bags too.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    With a laptop, the DLBP or S19 with the NTFD as a combo may be a good way to go. Easier to carry both bags too.
    Maybe so; will think about this carefully before the next trip. If that's the case, I'll have to load my passport and wallet into the NFTD and carry it with the Absolute Strap, because generally I find swinging backpacks around to get wallets, passports, etc. to be a pain in the ass. (Though I can tolerate it if the backpack is my only bag...) Lots of possible packing configurations with the NFTD as a second bag! Exciting.

Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Maybe so; will think about this carefully before the next trip. If that's the case, I'll have to load my passport and wallet into the NFTD and carry it with the Absolute Strap, because generally I find swinging backpacks around to get wallets, passports, etc. to be a pain in the ass. (Though I can tolerate it if the backpack is my only bag...) Lots of possible packing configurations with the NFTD as a second bag! Exciting.
    Night Flight Pro's & Con's Needed-imageuploadedbytapatalk1444624248-497155-jpg

Here is my NFTD packed with clothes for a 8-9 days in an autumn climate. The 3-1-1 toiletries pouch is in one side pocket and an ultralight down jacket is in the other side pocket. Passport is in the outermost pocket of the side.

The S19 is carrying my 12-inch MacBook, camera gear, and tech accessories, with space to spare.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Original Halcyon A45, Navy and Burnt Orange A30s, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy DLBC, Navy Pilot, Navy and Burnt Orange Co-Pilots, Navy, Burnt Orange, Nordic and Black Halcyon Side Effects, Burnt Orange, French Blue and Nordic Halcyon DLBPs, Linen SCB, Nordic Halycon S25, Nordic Halycon HsJ, Burnt Orange Maker's Bag, and Burnt Orange, Navy and Original Halcyon S19s (yes three, because they are THAT awesome).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast