Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 111 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 1855
    Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_engineer View Post
    Only odd thing is there's some sort of layer peeling off on certain parts on the inside. But when I get the RB Duffel, I'll make sure not to put it in the washing machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Cid View Post
    I bought a black halcyon SB19 from a friend who used it for 2 years - and I've noticed the same thing on the inside. A layer is peeling of - it looks white instead of black. I've washed it (as per the instructions) - I hope it looks better now. We'll see.
    Thatís the urethane coating which is disintegrating and coming off. I had this happen with my last two DLBPs in Halcyon and can see the start of it with my new ballistic DLBP as well. I donít know why itís happening so quickly with my bags, especially because other people donít seem to have this issue. Itís always the same spot, on the inside of the bag on the top and side panels. Iíve never put my bags in the washing machine... Maybe something is reacting with the chemicals in the coating? I donít know. I love the style of the DLBP and will keep my Aubergine bag, but itís annoying all the same. Iíve become a big fan of my SCBs because theyíre completely lined (so there seems to be no issue with them). Iím going to get a MCB as well as soon as thereís a bag lined with Dawn in an outer fabric I like. I think the old Luminary was also almost completely lined, so Iím keeping my fingers crossed that the new Luminary will be as well. If thatís the case I will definitely consider getting one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I've had a Smart Alec in Steel Halcyon for 5 years. I haven't seen even a HINT of this coating peeling off. And this Black Halcyon S19 is only 2 years old and it looks like it's 20 years old :| And it's exactly as you said - the inside top and side... The bag has never been washed before. I wonder how it will look now after it dries off.

I wonder if it's only the black which has this issue?

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new DLBP is Aubergine and you can see the urethane getting kind of whiteish near the seams, that seems to be the start of it. Both my old DLBPs were Original Halcyon. I still have the very first one and thought I might try to simply remove the urethane completely (because the fabric is fine underneath) but I haven’t found a good way to do it yet. Customer service was awesome and exchanged my (at that time fairly new) last bag for me because of this issue, they suggested I might give the Ballistic a try instead of the Halcyon because the urethane coating is not as thin as with the Dyneema bags. They also said that washing your bag in the washing machine can accelerate the issue, but as I hadn’t done that...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record mine is a black ballistic S25. I just assumed it was happening because I have put it through the washing machine...but it seems like others have the issue without the washing machine so I don't know. The only annoying thing I've found about it is that every now and then I'll find pieces of it on my books or clothing, but it's not a major issue.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the urethane peeling a bit on my original Nordic LSB. I've never washed it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yes, and on some of the interior front pockets of the Maker's Bag, which I was constantly pulling things out of and stuffing things into. That was NW Sky.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nordic Halcyon in my DLBC does this too. Seems only cosmetic though.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post
    I wondering if we will see a design refresh or retirement of the stowaway. I have had this bag in my cart a few times (when olive and canyon combination was still available) but didn't pull the trigger. I like the design, but it's 3-5L too small for me.

I've been watching the available colours run down for a while with no production updates, not even the default black options.

The only change I would want would be more capacity, just not sure how that would work in backpack mode.

If it's going to retire it will end up on my 'wish I had bought it' list, which is already long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The stowaway is now on my official "hopefully I don't regret not buying one" list right next to the NFTD. An interesting concept that I would have snapped up if larger. Looking forward to seeing the replacement, whenever that is.

Bring on the new designs! (But it sounds like patience is required)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urethane peeling is unfortunate but not entirely unexpected - I initially thought that the almost invisible coating used by Bihn would avoid this vexing problem. So far none of my Bihn bags experience urethane peeling, in fact none of my other unlined brands have had it other than a 20 year old bag. So modern urethane treatments have improved a lot, and Bihn is known for top-notch materials selection.

I guess my choice is to live with the actuality or potentiality of peeling. The alternative is to line the bags, which adds too much weight while reducing volume. I like Bihn for their travel potential - the ability to flatten out and stow in transit bags for later local use, or for return souvenirs.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkWebb View Post
    I guess my choice is to live with the actuality or potentiality of peeling. The alternative is to line the bags, which adds too much weight while reducing volume. I like Bihn for their travel potential - the ability to flatten out and stow in transit bags for later local use, or for return souvenirs.
    I don’t disagree with you, I also like how lightweight my DLBP is and I will continue to use it despite this cosmetic issue. But, I’ve had this problem with all three of my DLBPs, always in the same area and it always started a few weeks (!) after getting the new bag. I still have no idea what’s the cause and why other people don’t seem to have this issue (or only much later on). I still dig Tom Bihn, construction is great and I love the design of the bags and accessories I have and use a lot of them daily. And I will live with the peeling. But it’s clear that there’s some issue with the urethane, in some cases.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I donít disagree with you, I also like how lightweight my DLBP is and I will continue to use it despite this cosmetic issue. But, Iíve had this problem with all three of my DLBPs, always in the same area and it always started a few weeks (!) after getting the new bag. I still have no idea whatís the cause and why other people donít seem to have this issue (or only much later on). I still dig Tom Bihn, construction is great and I love the design of the bags and accessories I have and use a lot of them daily. And I will live with the peeling. But itís clear that thereís some issue with the urethane, in some cases.
    I have also had this issue on all of my bags within weeks or a low number of months, in areas like the inside top of my TC, Side Kick, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like one Shadow Guide left...
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woot!!!

The 210 ballistic all fabric 3DOC are available!!

Really nice new photography too!!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too!

Forum Member
    Springfield, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Woot!!!

*Gasp!* These are amazing!

'scuse me while I immediately go place an order...

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Woot!!!

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have been waiting for these FOREVER!!! Just ordered

Page 111 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 ... LastLast