Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 117 of 127 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1899
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned those last year and I have SOSO many regrets.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I am planning an order and was wondering if there are any plans to offer the MCB in Aubergine/Dawn? Or was it already and I missed it?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyacorn View Post
    Hello, I am planning an order and was wondering if there are any plans to offer the MCB in Aubergine/Dawn? Or was it already and I missed it?

Ooh what a lovely color combo!

I don't recall seeing any bags offered in Aubergine/Dawn to date. You'd have to email customer service to be sure. Emailus@tombihn.com

Aubergine/Cloud is very nice though, can't go wrong with it. And it is currently in stock!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím also wondering if thereís a post about whether any other changes were made to the PCSB, aside from the change to the attachment points. In particular, Iím wondering if the dimensions have changed at all. Iíve got an old one in Nordic Halcyon and I can *just* fit my 12-inch MacBook in its cache in there. It makes a great bag-within-a-larger bag so I can have a mini briefcase for around the office / at a conference. Does anyone know if thereís any reason to expect it wouldnít fit in the new one?

Quote Originally Posted by pcooperllan View Post
    Based on what I can see from the photos on the product page for the updated PCSB, am I correct in assuming it no longer has any attachment points on the sides?

I often attach my PCSB to the pocket to the back of an aircraft seat with swivel carabiners and at times also use it as a sling (by attaching an S25 hip belt), but it doesn't look like this would be possible with the new design (I was looking to get a black ballistic version instead of my current halcyon PCSB).

If this is true, maybe I should also add a request for a larger version of the Sidekick to solve my problem in the most perfect way :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if there’s any reason to expect it wouldn’t fit in the new one?
    Yes, it may depend on how old your PCSB is. Once upon a time there was a version that was almost a couple of inches longer than the current version. The link below mentions a length of 13.6 inches long, and the current version is 11.8 long.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/02/28...nizer_pouches/
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @sturbridge,

If the posterís Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is Nordic Halcyon, it has the current PCSB dimensions. The longer length of the original PCSB (described in the review you linked) only applied to the very first models (in steel 200d Dyneema ó now called Halcyon).

The switch to the current length improved one issue: the initial length meant that the 200d material tended to sag when placed small, heavier items that did not take up the full length of the bag, when the bag was not otherwise full or stiffened. For example, a small camera would make the PCSB sag unless the you also carried items like a sufficiently long guidebook or stuffed a jacket in to fill up the rest of the bag. The shorter current length also made it convenient to use the PCSB in a much wider range of other bags, such as the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, and Aeronaut 30, among bags specifically designed for travel, as well as a host of others (e.g. Synapse 25 front pocket or interior, etc.)

The offset attachment points for the new design in the PCSB makes it easier to carry a heavier load more stably in over-the-Shoulder strap useó something that the 210d material also encourages.

I donít think there are size changes, but they did add more O-rings to the interior. Iíll have to wait until my order arrives before I can comment more.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Yes, it may depend on how old your PCSB is. Once upon a time there was a version that was almost a couple of inches longer than the current version. The link below mentions a length of 13.6 inches long, and the current version is 11.8 long.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2008/02/28...nizer_pouches/
    Oh, interesting! Thanks for linking that, I had no idea the PCSB had ever been a different size. I was also interested to see a small change in the Aeronaut design that I hadn't been aware of before! My A45 is from sometime between mid-2011 (when Forest was introduced) and early 2013 (the last time I see the Forest/UV combination for the A45 in the Wayback Machine). Like the one in that review, mine has the snaps in place of the current internal zippers for adjusting the size of the middle section vs the end pockets; but on mine the end pocket zippers wrap around so they're on three sides of the bag like on the current Aeronauts. I noticed the Aeronaut in the review has end pockets with zippers that only open the top and one side.

The Wayback Machine confirms the larger dimensions for the PCSB from around that time: https://web.archive.org/web/20080113...ROD/ACC/TB0921 shows the "Convertible Packing Cube" (which looks just like the PCSB we know and love) as 13.5" x 8" x 3.25" / 345 x 200 x 85mm.

Edited to add: I hadn't seen @moriond's post yet when I wrote this--I wouldn't have gone looking for a confirmation of the larger size if I had seen that moriond had already confirmed it!
    Last edited by aedifica; 03-02-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond, was the Solar PCSB also in the longer length? I ask because I thought @Lani once commented that her Solar one was the larger size. But then again, maybe I'm imagining that.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all this - super helpful! Iím going to go ahead and order a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @sturbridge,

If the posterís Packing Cube Shoulder Bag is Nordic Halcyon, it has the current PCSB dimensions. The longer length of the original PCSB (described in the review you linked) only applied to the very first models (in steel 200d Dyneema ó now called Halcyon).

The switch to the current length improved one issue: the initial length meant that the 200d material tended to sag when placed small, heavier items that did not take up the full length of the bag, when the bag was not otherwise full or stiffened. For example, a small camera would make the PCSB sag unless the you also carried items like a sufficiently long guidebook or stuffed a jacket in to fill up the rest of the bag. The shorter current length also made it convenient to use the PCSB in a much wider range of other bags, such as the Western Flyer, Tri-Star, and Aeronaut 30, among bags specifically designed for travel, as well as a host of others (e.g. Synapse 25 front pocket or interior, etc.)

The offset attachment points for the new design in the PCSB makes it easier to carry a heavier load more stably in over-the-Shoulder strap useó something that the 210d material also encourages.

I donít think there are size changes, but they did add more O-rings to the interior. Iíll have to wait until my order arrives before I can comment more.

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @moriond, was the Solar PCSB also in the longer length? I ask because I thought @Lani once commented that her Solar one was the larger size. But then again, maybe I'm imagining that.
    Hi @pammy,

Yes, I was going to write that the only two Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in the original (longer) length were 200d Steel and 200d Solar. The longer length was why I didnít buy a PCSB in Solar, since I had one in Steel, and noticed the limitation in the design. At that time, for a very brief period, you could order packing cubes in Solar. I have one Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar.

Also, the very earliest Aeronaut Packing Cubes (before the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag was made) were a much darker Steel, and didnít have the cross-hatching that distinguishes 200d Halcyon/Dyneema.

As for the design changes in the Aeronaut (45) that @aedifica mentioned, the switch to having the zipper open on 3 sides of each end Pocket happened soon after the initial release. The change to zippers instead of snaps for accessing more space in the end pockets arrived with the Aeronaut 30 introduction, and percolated to the Aeronaut 45 just after that debut.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my new Black Ballistic PCSB on Friday (yay!) and I love it! Unfortunately, what I do not love is the new placement of the shoulder strap attachments. In the original design on the ends, they supported the bag well but still hung neatly cross-body. With the new side placement, they hang cross-body a little bit better, but not so much better as to be worth the way the make the bag hang funny and the zipper opening pull when the bag is loaded with a mildly heavy load like my (largish) m4/3 camera plus lens and iPhone.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @pammy,

Yes, I was going to write that the only two Packing Cube Shoulder Bags in the original (longer) length were 200d Steel and 200d Solar. The longer length was why I didnít buy a PCSB in Solar, since I had one in Steel, and noticed the limitation in the design. At that time, for a very brief period, you could order packing cubes in Solar. I have one Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star in Solar.

Also, the very earliest Aeronaut Packing Cubes (before the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag was made) were a much darker Steel, and didnít have the cross-hatching that distinguishes 200d Halcyon/Dyneema.

As for the design changes in the Aeronaut (45) that @aedifica mentioned, the switch to having the zipper open on 3 sides of each end Pocket happened soon after the initial release. The change to zippers instead of snaps for accessing more space in the end pockets arrived with the Aeronaut 30 introduction, and percolated to the Aeronaut 45 just after that debut.

HTH

moriond
    @moriond, thank you for the info. Itís so very helpful. My very first TB purchase was an olive/plum cordura Swift and it came with a yarn sack that is the darker steel without the cross-hatching. I wondered about that fabric because it looks similar yet different from the regular 200d steel dyneema. So it helps me date it to the period time of when those first Aeronaut packing cubes were being made.

In the meantime, I will continue my grail search for a Solar PCSB. Who knows, I might get lucky. For now I will content myself with PCSBs in the new ballistic colors. Very excited to have some coming my way.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    I received my new Black Ballistic PCSB on Friday (yay!) and I love it! Unfortunately, what I do not love is the new placement of the shoulder strap attachments. In the original design on the ends, they supported the bag well but still hung neatly cross-body. With the new side placement, they hang cross-body a little bit better, but not so much better as to be worth the way the make the bag hang funny and the zipper opening pull when the bag is loaded with a mildly heavy load like my (largish) m4/3 camera plus lens and iPhone.
    Oh, that's a bit of a worry about the "hang" and the "zipper opening pull"........mine due to arrive tomorrow so I will be able to experiment! Fingers crossed!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The offset attachment points for the new design in the PCSB makes it easier to carry a heavier load more stably in over-the-Shoulder strap use— something that the 210d material also encourages.
    I received my new PCSBs in ballistic. Based on your comment, I tried a large heavy book in both old & new versions and then tried with something very light... I agree, the offset attachment is more stable.

The only annoyance I found with it (learning curve) is that I would normally keep both zippers all the way forward (as I'm carrying it cross body, on my right hip)... The offset location means that the strap makes it hard to get to the zippers whilst it's hanging - I need to keep them a couple inches away from the end point in order to most quickly open the bag. I don't think this will be an issue for most things, once I make it a habit.

Oddly enough, the most startling thing to me was the new smooth 1" strap. I like the smooth material.
    Between the heavier fabric and the addition of more length to accommodate winter coats though, it's noticeably bigger/bulkier/heavier to me... I'm still on the fence about this change since the old straps never bothered me.
    If I were ordering these for the first time with nothing to compare to though, I probably wouldn't think twice - so I'm probably just paying too much attention to 'change'.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KAB View Post
    Oh, that's a bit of a worry about the "hang" and the "zipper opening pull"........mine due to arrive tomorrow so I will be able to experiment! Fingers crossed!
    I should clarify, it's not that the pull puts pressure on the zipper in a worrisome way, just that it makes the line of the zip not stay straight, so it is more difficult to zip open/closed a bit, or to get things in and out without snagging. G42 has a good explanation in the other post, too.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Page 117 of 127 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast