Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 1966
  1. #1936
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    233
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMafia View Post
    Don't know if this has been discussed already, but is TB phasing out 1050 ballistic? It looks like almost everything in production is is 525...
    Certainly looks that way.
    I'm a little sad, as although the 1050 is stiff and heavy, it has a beautiful glistening texture, where the 525 is just shiny. 1050 Burnt Orange is so much more beautiful to my eyes than 525 Burnt Orange.
    Don't get me started on coyote........

    Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

  2. #1937
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    5,960
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
    I'm interested: it looks like almost all of the 1050d-exterior air-travel bags will be available soon in 525d: Pilot, A30, A45, and TS.

    Do we know whether the WF is also planned for 525d at some point in the next (say) 6 months?
    The Western Flyer will be available in 525d soon! The 525d options will be added to the website for email sign-up tomorrow.

    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestMafia View Post
    Don't know if this has been discussed already, but is TB phasing out 1050 ballistic? It looks like almost everything in production is is 525...
    That's the direction we're headed at least. Here's why:

    Frankly, we're infatuated with our 525d. It's a handsome, durable, thoughtfully-produced fabric. That infatuation meant we purposefully took things slow; we wanted to make sure you guys liked it as much as we did, and for the most part, that seems to be the case. So, we're now offering it in more bags.

    As noted in our 525d Materials Glossary entry, the abrasion resistance of our 525d HT ballistic is right in there with the 1050d, testing at over 10,000 cycles on the Taber machine yet 525d weighs about 70% of the weight of 1050d.

    Our 525d is bluesign® certified (link to our Planet page entry on this; here's an external link to bluesign®) : basically, the chemical and other processes of the mill who makes the fabric for us have been evaluated by bluesign® and certified to confirm a high degree of safety for anyone who handles the material -- whether that's in the mill of origin, our sewing crew, our shipping crew, or anyone who uses our bags. bluesign® certification also ensures a material or product is responsibility produced in regards to the environment. (Worth noting: our 210d HT ballistic nylon is also bluesign® certified, and our 200d Halcyon and 400d Halcyon woven in a bluesign® certified mill and and finished in an OEKO-TEX® certified mill.)

    At the same time, there is some sadness around here at the idea of 1050d possibly retiring someday. It's also a handsome material, and a true workhorse. If/when any 1050d colors near retirement, we will post about it in the Colors thread and give everyone as much of a heads-up as we can.

    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Certainly looks that way.
    I'm a little sad, as although the 1050 is stiff and heavy, it has a beautiful glistening texture, where the 525 is just shiny. 1050 Burnt Orange is so much more beautiful to my eyes than 525 Burnt Orange.
    Don't get me started on coyote........
    I'm frankly a bit sad about it too. 1050d has been part of the company as long as I have! Still, 1050d will be around for a while longer yet.

    To my eye, the difference in the look of the two fabrics is not so much matte vs. gloss, but rather that the yarns are smaller and packed more closely together. Which I guess is to say: I perceive the matte-ness to be similar between the two, but I also see that they're not identical fabrics.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  3. #1938
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Share
    New England
    Posts
    236
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    1050 Burnt Orange is so much more beautiful to my eyes than 525 Burnt Orange.
    I loooove how 1050 Burnt Orange sparkles in the sunlight! I think it's unique, even among 1050 fabrics.

  4. #1939
    Forum Member panda2mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    147
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Deep blue/grass making a comeback in DLBC and MCB!

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  5. #1940
    Forum Member nessagr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Share
    Winona, MN
    Posts
    57
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how I stumbled on this, because I am not in need of a new backpack, but I noticed yesterday the L12 has nebulous grey/dawn in production and suddenly I am trying to justify in my mind why I would need to get this bag because I love the color combo so much.

  6. #1941
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    35
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone provide weights for the A30 and A45 in 525d? Not yet listed on the website, but if the weight is 30% less, the weight savings is significant.

    I was sure this was coming and held out as long as I could, but bought an A45 for a recent trip. Major bummer that I'll now have to sell that one on EBAY if I want to get the lighter bag. Of course, the fabric and construction is so tough, I could try returning it. I'm sure the TB crew wouldn't notice it had spent 17 days knocking around India, including being a checked bag on international flights! Too bad my conscience will keep me from doing that!

  7. #1942
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Share
    Minnesota
    Posts
    65
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    Can someone provide weights for the A30 and A45 in 525d? Not yet listed on the website, but if the weight is 30% less, the weight savings is significant.
    While I don't have any inside info, based on looking at other bags that are offered in all 3 exterior fabrics (1050, 525, and 400 Halcyon) like the Pilot, I'd expect it to be a bit heavier than the halfway point between the 1050 and the Halcyon. (A lot of the weight is in things other than exterior fabric, like interior fabric and zippers.)
    So, for the A45, it will be less than 3lb1oz (49oz) and more than 2lb7oz (39oz), maybe 45ish oz; the A30, between 2lb14oz (46oz) and 2lb6oz (38oz), so maybe 43ish oz?

    The Pilot went through this switch recently, and the weight of the 525 variant was displayed on the product page a couple of days after the 525 version was available for purchase.

  8. #1943
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,083
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest newsletter

    Photo: a bag designed and made by Tom for a wildlife program to transport beavers for safe relocation to public lands. Project biologist Kyla is holding the beaver in the bag; photos are by Julie Nelson and Dr. John Brick.

    Pictures here https://www.tombihn.com/pages/planet-earth
    Scroll down

    Should we expect this design to be popularized as 21st century hand warmer, future small dog or cat holder for the Holidays? Big Grin

    Or should we wait for the 2020 April 1st version? Wink

    By the way Heart Eyes the rescue

    That's one great way to get back in the forum Backpack
    Last edited by backpack; 09-27-2019 at 10:00 AM.

  9. #1944
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Sweden
    Posts
    250
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am *really* impressed with this environmental statement! It is specific, not vague, it discusses where they do and do not meet certain standards, the carbon offsetting is excellent, really showcases a company with environmental commitment. A company I am proud to support, great job you guys. Beaver bag also very cute!

  10. #1945
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Share
    Indiana
    Posts
    273
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you all saw this announcement? The Firewood carriers sold out last year...

    09/26/2019 New Bags and Colors In Production
    Parkour Edition

    Note: These bags are new in production but aren't available quite yet, they should be available on December 2nd.

    Firewood Carrier, Forest #8 Cotton Canvas

  11. #1946
    Forum Member BigBadD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    France
    Posts
    134
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tress29 View Post
    And you all saw this announcement? The Firewood carriers sold out last year...

    09/26/2019 New Bags and Colors In Production
    Parkour Edition

    Note: These bags are new in production but aren't available quite yet, they should be available on December 2nd.

    Firewood Carrier, Forest #8 Cotton Canvas
    Thoroughly recommend the Firewood Carrier, it’s so practical for wood fires - and probably also a variety of other imaginative uses?! Off camping next weekend and an essential part of kit to take.

  12. #1947
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    5,960
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    The latest newsletter

    Photo: a bag designed and made by Tom for a wildlife program to transport beavers for safe relocation to public lands. Project biologist Kyla is holding the beaver in the bag; photos are by Julie Nelson and Dr. John Brick.

    Pictures here https://www.tombihn.com/pages/planet-earth
    Scroll down

    Should we expect this design to be popularized as 21st century hand warmer, future small dog or cat holder for the Holidays? Big Grin

    Or should we wait for the 2020 April 1st version? Wink
    Ha! Actually, we're working on building a product page for the beaver bag right now. We want to have a link with more information about the bag so that the environmental and wildlife organizations we work with can share to spread the word about the bag. Tom has also been working on two other designs for wildlife efforts; I'll share more about those when they're done!

    Quote Originally Posted by ejvc View Post
    I am *really* impressed with this environmental statement! It is specific, not vague, it discusses where they do and do not meet certain standards, the carbon offsetting is excellent, really showcases a company with environmental commitment. A company I am proud to support, great job you guys. Beaver bag also very cute!
    Thanks @ejvc -- your dedication to environmental efforts and reducing impact inspires us, so that feedback is especially meaningful.

    There's a lot in the works along these lines. Interestingly, as we pursue various efforts, they keep leading us back to the work we support with beavers who are a keystone species (watch the Beaver Believers documentary trailer!) because of their ability to help reserve and preserve water. One of the reasons why the Winston Creek Forest Project (the project we support through our purchase of carbon offsets for our operations) is meaningful is that they recognize that carbon sequestration and biodiversity can go hand in hand: they manage a forest of trees diverse in age (and also a greater diversity in species than typical) and see wildlife as an important part of the forest.

    I say all of this with the caveat that I and we are still educating ourselves about all of this: we're bag experts, not environmental experts, but we're working on learning as much about the latter as we can to do our part.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  13. #1948
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,083
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ha! Actually, we're working on building a product page for the beaver bag right now. We want to have a link with more information about the bag so that the environmental and wildlife organizations we work with can share to spread the word about the bag. Tom has also been working on two other designs for wildlife efforts; I'll share more about those when they're done!



    Thanks @ejvc -- your dedication to environmental efforts and reducing impact inspires us, so that feedback is especially meaningful.

    There's a lot in the works along these lines. Interestingly, as we pursue various efforts, they keep leading us back to the work we support with beavers who are a keystone species (watch the Beaver Believers documentary trailer!) because of their ability to help reserve and preserve water. One of the reasons why the Winston Creek Forest Project (the project we support through our purchase of carbon offsets for our operations) is meaningful is that they recognize that carbon sequestration and biodiversity can go hand in hand: they manage a forest of trees diverse in age (and also a greater diversity in species than typical) and see wildlife as an important part of the forest.

    I say all of this with the caveat that I and we are still educating ourselves about all of this: we're bag experts, not environmental experts, but we're working on learning as much about the latter as we can to do our part.
    Beavers are indeed a keystone species. When wolves were re-introduced in Yellowstone, deers no longer ate young willows or other trees, close to rivers, because they didn't want to hang out longer than necessary, near a water source.

    All over the world, watering holes are places where grazers are extremely weary and usually only stay for a brief moment to drink and head out to pasture areas.

    Back to Yellowstone, 10 years or more after wolves reintroduction, beavers are able to create ponds using the willows that have reached their teens. The area close to the river, where the willows used to be, is now a wetland, rich with biodiversity.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-29-2019 at 03:19 PM.

  14. #1949
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    46
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Not sure how I stumbled on this, because I am not in need of a new backpack, but I noticed yesterday the L12 has nebulous grey/dawn in production and suddenly I am trying to justify in my mind why I would need to get this bag because I love the color combo so much.
    This color combination is one of my favorite. I bought the L15 in that combo in fact when it was available for pre-order. You won't be disappointed...except maybe trying to find other bags with that same combo as there isn't any. ��
    Bigs: S25 | A30 | PILOT | SA | L15
    Littles: SC | 3DOC | TC | PP | N4 | WFPC

  15. #1950
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Share
    SF Bay area
    Posts
    1,565
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be one random Olive 525 ballistic / Canyon 210 ballistic Side Effect listed... a listing error or maybe Autumn cleaning found one? Those colours have been disco'd longer than the return period.

    It's a great colour combo - I have it in my original Luminary.


    ETA: ....aaaand, it's gone
    Last edited by G42; 10-19-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •