Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 165 of 165 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 163 164 165
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2475
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Quote Originally Posted by ayazgood View Post
    I thought there were hints awhile ago of possibly adding interior pockets to the PCSB. Maybe that was just on someone's wish list? .
    That was/is me asking for those inside pockets on the PCSB. Been asking for years.

The DLEPCSB in Ballistic 210 is winking at me. The color theme matches my Icon in stealth black.
    Last edited by Walker; 11-20-2020 at 05:43 AM.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    That was/is me asking for those inside pockets on the PCSB. Been asking for years.
    I would like interior pockets too.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wooooooo I'm excited for the PCSB to have the original attachment points. I own one with the offset attachments, and it always feels off when I wear it --- So, I don't. For me, the whole point of that bag is to be fairly minimalist and weigh as little as possible. I bring it on trips -- it is a packing cube and then a purse.... Adding pockets slowly adds weight and/or bulk... and starts turning it into something it's not. Maybe I'm alone in that take on it's purpose.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wish is still for a PCSB-sized Freudian slip!0

Germany
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    My wish is still for a PCSB-sized Freudian slip!0
    That would be a good compromise! Iím in the camp of keeping the PCSB as minimal as possible. If I want a more structured bag I use a Cafť bag instead. I think the current design is a good compromise between bag and packing cube. I had one in black, but the attachment points drove me crazy so I sold it. Iím really happy I can now get one with the old attachment points. Iím thinking black again. Although the new fabric looks interesting too!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Life has been super busy, so Iím probably behind on whatís new, but Iím liking the Cobalt 210 cerylon fabric. Itís pretty cool. Colorwise it looks like Island. Can the mods weigh in on how Island and new Cobalt compare in color?
    @Darcy , are swatches available to order? I always like to see new fabrics and colors in person before I order.
    Iíve got good news, @pammy ! I have a prototype PCSB in Cobalt Cerylon from months ago. Although it has an earlier version of a zipper that is different from the Design Lab final version, the fabric is the same. Sorry for the delay in replying, I sent my pics into TB first to make sure it was in fact the same fabric (for all I knew they might have been testing several nearly identical ones!).

So to answer your question, yes, Cerylon is very Islandy. And also very hard to photograph accurately! Here it is with an Island Webbing Key Strap and an Island Travel Tray:

I put a white piece of paper in the frame in order to get the camera to white balance:

Here is the same pic, increasing the exposure to compensate for the white paper:

As you can see itís very close to the Island webbing key strap. Both are very close to the blue part of Island Halcyon, but a little darker, like it is in a shadow. It is definitely the same sort of blue and if you have something that goes with Island, it would go with Cobalt.

The hand of this fabric is slightly stiffer than 400 Halcyon. I would love a backpack made out of this, itís such a lovely jewel-tone blue.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Iíve got good news, @pammy ! I have a prototype PCSB in Cobalt Cerylon from months ago. Although it has an earlier version of a zipper that is different from the Design Lab final version, the fabric is the same. Sorry for the delay in replying, I sent my pics into TB first to make sure it was in fact the same fabric (for all I knew they might have been testing several nearly identical ones!).

So to answer your question, yes, Cerylon is very Islandy. And also very hard to photograph accurately! Here it is with an Island Webbing Key Strap and an Island Travel Tray:

I put a white piece of paper in the frame in order to get the camera to white balance:

Here is the same pic, increasing the exposure to compensate for the white paper:

As you can see itís very close to the Island webbing key strap. Both are very close to the blue part of Island Halcyon, but a little darker, like it is in a shadow. It is definitely the same sort of blue and if you have something that goes with Island, it would go with Cobalt.

The hand of this fabric is slightly stiffer than 400 Halcyon. I would love a backpack made out of this, itís such a lovely jewel-tone blue.
    Thank you so much @Cristina ! Your review and pictures are extremely helpful. I am intrigued that the fabric feels a little stiffer than 400d halcyon. It will be interesting to see what products will be made out of this new fabric. I really like Island so I am certain I will love Cobalt. A swatch is on its way to me so I am looking forward to see it in person.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Malaysia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Hi Cristina, is the Cobalt cerylon thicker/stiffer than 210d ballistic? Between the two, which holds up the bag shape better? Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Thank you so much @Cristina ! Your review and pictures are extremely helpful. I am intrigued that the fabric feels a little stiffer than 400d halcyon. It will be interesting to see what products will be made out of this new fabric. I really like Island so I am certain I will love Cobalt. A swatch is on its way to me so I am looking forward to see it in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Hi Cristina, is the Cobalt cerylon thicker/stiffer than 210d ballistic? Between the two, which holds up the bag shape better? Thanks!
    It is already dark here in the UK; in the daylight tomorrow I will take a bunch of photos and try to compare Cerylon with the different weights of ballistics and Halcyons.

Keep the questions coming and I will try to address them tomorrow.

Montana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @Cristina ! I'd love to see a comparison of Cobalt Cerylon and Nordic Halcyon, if possible. Thank you!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion of New Colors, New Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Iíll have to put a caveat here to say that new unused bags will maybe be a bit stiffer than well-used ones, but I would say that the Cerylon seems stiffer than the 210 ballistic but perhaps not thicker. To me the Cerylon seems more crinkly, if that makes sense, whereas the 210 is slightly more supple.

I poked my finger in the bag and then photographed it empty:

The Cerylon feels slightly thinner than 400 Halcyon but at least as stiff. I poked my finger in the Nordic Halcyon (which is several years old) and then photographed it empty and the peak fell down a bit more (though there was more weight on a bigger piece of fabric, so it isnít exactly a like-for-like test):

Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    Hi @Cristina ! I'd love to see a comparison of Cobalt Cerylon and Nordic Halcyon, if possible. Thank you!
    I never thought that Island was a greenish blue looking at it on its own, but next to Nordic, Cobalt and Island look very slightly teal because Nordic is nearly an indigo-like color (TB once had an Indigo I think but that predates me).

Here is the Cerylon on top, the Nordic on the right and the Island on the bottom left.

Here is Cobalt underneath an Island Travel Tray and an Island Ghost Whale. Theyíre practically the same.

Overall I would say Island-lovers and Halcyon-lovers will really like Cobalt Cerylon.
    Last edited by Cristina; Yesterday at 10:07 AM.

Montana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cristina ....thank you for the comparison shots. Cobalt Cerylon looks like such a lovely color!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cristina , thank you so much for this! I personally don't have a great use case for owning a PCSB, and would really just be buying it out of my insatiable curiosity for the new fabric. Your insight will make it a little easier for me to let those bags go to people who will actually use them. (If it's as good as early reports would suggest, hopefully someday I'll get to try it on another bag!)

Between this and your amazing Bag-a-Day Challenge thread, you're teaching Tom Bihn "noobs" like myself a wealth of good information, and just in time for the holidays! My thanks to you and to all the VIPs on this forum who share so generously their time and insight. What a special community this is!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance of us ever seeing a co-pilot with parapack? I have and love my dyneema co-pilot for years but would love it in parapack!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    @Cristina , thank you so much for this! I personally don't have a great use case for owning a PCSB, and would really just be buying it out of my insatiable curiosity for the new fabric. Your insight will make it a little easier for me to let those bags go to people who will actually use them. (If it's as good as early reports would suggest, hopefully someday I'll get to try it on another bag!)

Between this and your amazing Bag-a-Day Challenge thread, you're teaching Tom Bihn "noobs" like myself a wealth of good information, and just in time for the holidays! My thanks to you and to all the VIPs on this forum who share so generously their time and insight. What a special community this is!
    Thank you very much @Kevo !

I really like the Cerylon and I hope it does turn up in larger bags. If you email TB (emailus@tombihn.com) theyíll send you swatches of any current fabric, for free, even if youíre outside the US. If you have any more questions about it donít hesitate to ask.

Page 165 of 165 FirstFirst ... 65 115 155 163 164 165