Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Darcy, thanks for this update! I hope the shopping basket expiration period is not too long - I could imagine people adding items into the bag to have dibs on them while they make up their minds, and then those bags would not be available in inventory for others ready to purchase at the time that they prepare their basket.

I don't know if this would be appropriate for TB, but I know of one company (clothing) that color codes items to indicate adequate stock, low stock, or out of stock. It could be helpful for those wishing to know how quickly they should decide on their order. On the other hand, probably best to introduce just a couple of tweaks at a time.

Thank you for making the purchasing process more consumer-centered all the time.
    It's not too long for baskets to expire: about a couple of hours.

I do think the color codes stock level thing is something we could do someday -- and you are also right that it's best to introduce just a couple of tweaks at a time. It'll be on our list to consider!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any update on when the A30 will be available in Black Dyneema again (with any interior color)? I was told late July by email in June, I saw by the end of August on Twitter, and I was just told late October on the phone. Is it really slipping that much?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone noticed how I've avoided the Island/Summer Colors questions? :P We're hanging on to the remaining Island and Zest for now. Maybe we'll use it for some new designs debuting at the end of this year or early next; maybe it will stay in our fabric vaults only to be offered a year or two from now.

Quote Originally Posted by bketcham View Post
    Any update on when the A30 will be available in Black Dyneema again (with any interior color)? I was told late July by email in June, I saw by the end of August on Twitter, and I was just told late October on the phone. Is it really slipping that much?
    It is! I think the dates we've already shared were our best estimates and can change; sorry that we didn't preface them with that. Our Black Dyneema is custom-woven and dyed for us in Japan and then, when it's ready, it makes its way to us here in Seattle by boat. All of that means that it can take a long time to get to us. Plus, it's Obon in Japan and the factory that makes our Black Dyneema has the week off.

Our best estimate right now is that we will receive the Black Dyneema fabric sometime within the next couple of months; and then, of course, once it arrives, it takes 4-6+ weeks (depending on the bag and how busy we are making other bags) to make the actual bags. Late October is a conservative estimate at this point.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Has anyone noticed how I've avoided the Island/Summer Colors questions? :P We're hanging on to the remaining Island and Zest for now. Maybe we'll use it for some new designs debuting at the end of this year or early next; maybe it will stay in our fabric vaults only to be offered a year or two from now.
    Guess that settles my chances of ever getting my hands on a Zest-colored shop bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Does this mean the legendary cross-body knitting bag is having its debut date pushed out again?

Edit: Sorry to be a second sad face in response to your post - I know the dates change sometimes to ensure the best of quality and appreciate that! Just the hope/anticipation gets the best of us at times...
    Last edited by ClaireJ; 08-12-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by synapse25survivedNYC View Post
    Guess that settles my chances of ever getting my hands on a Zest-colored shop bag.
    Pfft... just imagine how *I* feel about the idea of getting matching Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Packing Cube Backpack (WF) in Zest! I have DREAMS about that, I tell you.

Forum Member
    Scotland
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Pfft... just imagine how *I* feel about the idea of getting matching Packing Cube Shoulder Bag and Packing Cube Backpack (WF) in Zest! I have DREAMS about that, I tell you.
    I can sympathise, I dream of those in Island.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: Small Café Bag with light color inside

Greetings from Denmark. I just discovered Tom Bihn, so I'm a happy newbie at this.
    Besides the quality, I was thrilled to see the light inside colors of the bags, because it makes sense in order to more clearly see stuff inside the bag ... and next, I was so sad to see that the bag I needed/wanted/had to have ... only came in steel for the inside color... oh why???

How often does TB change the colors? (approx)

It would be cool with the inside colors: Zest, iberian, ultraviolet, wasabi, clear blue

Any idea where to buy older versions with such colors?

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome @Mette, I also discovered Tom Bihn about the same month but last year. It is hard to say how frequent TB change its color. Like the recent Summer debut, I never thought the possibility of seeing any Blue Dyneema returning. Though in only very short while and only for a limited products. I am neither saying new colors are rolled out in limited time. Through my experience, some color have the chance to stay around longer in the production, while some new color are only produce in one production round. As many do, you could try subscribe to Tom Bihn at Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Mailing List and best, do check out the Forum everyday or once in a month.

Anyway, the Small Cafe Bag has been updated with several new color for immediate order. Azure and Grey in Steel Parapack Lining.
    I find the Grey and Steel Parapack extremely interesting. I mean, in and out Grey. For some, it could be super awesome. May I guess that the current Cafe Bags production runs on Steel Parapack Lining then perhaps, next production schedule (end of this year or early next year) could in other Parapack Lining?

PS: I am not saying I have an unconditional love for love Blue Dyneema. I actually just discover that I prefer Steel 200d Dyneema. Seriously. After almost a year, chasing Nordic. It is a big surprise, even to myself.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-19-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Houston, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with the previous poster who wondered, "why so much steel?"

I could really use a black small cafe bag, or azure, but a steel lining? Meh. Wasabi would be nice. Something bright. But yeah, will there be some small cafe bags coming out soon with a lining other than steel? Because I don't need one badly enough to order it with a steel lining, I am happy to wait for something that's more my style.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

I really preferred the format of the older Backorder Updates/Back In Stock thread that was replaced by the current one, although I realize that it was a lot of work for Hannah to maintain. I think that, especially new forum members, are not aware that first post in this thread gets updated with new information, and that because it is edited, it doesn't show up as a new, unread post. Also, the earlier entries don't stay around very long, so now I'm feeling guilty for not pointing out last week's announcements of new colors in the Clear Organizer Wallets, including some that haven't been seen for a while like Azalea! or Conifer. I think Burnt Orange, Coyote, and Linen may also have been added back after being out of stock, too, but this is only from memory, since the original post was edited. I'll just recommend that you check the product page since I don't remember the additions; current colors, as of this post, are linen, turquoise (another nice older color), orange 152, red blend, plum, cocoa, French blue, azure, navy, azalea, grey, burnt orange, Coyote, conifer.

Also, if you were looking for a Cafe Bag with an interior color of Olive, instead of the Steel that has been the only option for a short while, or if you are looking for a large Cafe Bag in French Blue/Steel, take a look at the product pages.

I'll also point out that the Tri-Star refreshes, the Camera I-O reappearance, and the listed Brain Bag refreshes (especially in colors of limited availability) by quoting the first post below

Quote Originally Posted by TB Crew View Post
    Hey everyone!

This thread serves to alert you to new bags and colors added to the website. We'll edit this original and first post with the latest stock updates as often as we can.

Yours truly,
    The TB Crew (Hannah, Darcy, and everyone else here at TB)

9/23/2015 New Bags and Colors Ready To Order

Tri-Star
    Steel/Wasabi
    Steel/Iberian
    Navy/Iberian
    Black/Wasabi
    Black/Steel

Aeronaut 45
    Steel/Steel

Camera I-O
    Black

9/24/2015 New Bags and Colors Ready To Order

Large Cafe Bag
    French Blue/Steel

Small Cafe Bag
    French Blue/Olive
    Burnt Orange/Olive

Medium Cafe Bag
    Plum/Olive
    Grey/Olive
    Cocoa/Olive

Brain Bag
    Black/Black/Black
    Black/Grey/Black (limited stock)
    Black/Navy/Black (limited stock)
    Black/Olive/Black (limited stock)
    Black/French Blue/Black (limited stock)

Smart Alec
    Black/Navy/Iberian

Snake Charmer
    Olive Cordura
    Navy Cordura

Co-Pilot
    Black Dyneema/Wasabi

Clicked on the link to the bag's page but don't see one of the colors listed here? That's probably because it's already sold out.
    HTH

moriond

ETA: This is really weird, but they must be editing the Brain Bag page right now, because I've just been alternating between cases where I get the larger (updated) range of color selections, and another view where I only see Coyote, French Blue, and Olive (tried on multiple devices). So, in case you are having trouble with the selections, try again later, or contact customer support with questions on availability.
    Last edited by Hannah; 09-24-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Also, if you were looking for a Cafe Bag with an interior color of Olive, instead of the Steel that has been the only option for a short while, or if you are looking for a large Cafe Bag in French Blue/Steel, take a look at the product pages.
    HTH
    moriond
    Thank you for the heads-up!
    I just wanted to say, I was very glad that I used this opportunity to order the Grey Cafe bag I have been eyeing for a long time, while it was offered with a steel interior. @ilkyway posted a lovely photo that make me want to try this bag, but I actually did not want to order it with an olive interior, which was the only option for a while.
    The bag I received is very beautiful, and one of the few (perhaps, only) Tom Bihn items that I own in cordura now. I think the grey is understated, and goes with the other colors I wear. I like the subtle interior. When I had a cafe bag a long time ago, since sold, I think it had cordura inside? This one seems to be parapack, which I like better.
    If and when I organize my long-awaited trip to Europe, I have a vision of wearing this bag. In my mind it will let me blend in.
    At least until I open my mouth and start speaking 'Merican.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond

It took me a couple of updates to realize that Post edits do not trigger the subscription notification. I think it would be cool if they (sorry) delete every post in this thread (or move them to a new, non-stickied thread) and make a new post when there is an update. That way anyone subscribed would know there is an update, but it would also be nice to be able to look back and see previous updates and know what colorways have/were made in the past.

I don't know if that would be something other people would be interested in, but definitely would be, at least until you finish your "History of Tom Bihn" book

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @jdowney83, I suspect your suggestion would make a lot of work for someone. As it was, we only had the previous update posts because Hannah undertook to do this on a best effort basis, and when she was on vacation, they stopped. Also, because of past occasions when they sold out over weekends (especially when Nordic Dyneema, etc. was on the way out, and the orders were coming in faster than they could update some of the web site availability), they started taking bags and accessories off the web site menu just before the weekend, if there were so few items that a product might sell out before someone noticed and could update the product page. I still remember the weekend where the Western Flyer came back into stock including a Dyneema (400d Black/Ultraviolet) option -- I think it was on a Friday. They sold out all the Dyneema versions over the weekend, so that by the time Monday's blog post about the new Western Flyers in stock could go up, they could only list two of the three new colors. And of the remaining two, Navy Ballistic almost immediately had to be amended to list a different color interior, because the one they listed sold out after about a day (it might have been Solar).

I know that people would like a complete list of colors that were avaiable, but faced with more options to actually find and buy bags, compared to having someone assigned to inventorying them for postings that can (really) quickly get outdated (like before you finish composing them), I know which option I would choose!

By the way, this thread only lists new options, and even the new options aren't exhaustive, since I'd point out that the Small, and now Medium, Cafe Bags updated in 400d Black/Wasabi Dyneema without getting caught/listed in the first post (or in my quote) a few days ago, but now seem out of stock. (Maybe there were only a few?). Also, they don't bother to relist existing options -- like the Dyneema versions of the TriStar that have continues to remain available.

moriond

ETA: For those who care about these things, I saw the Small Cafe Bags in Black Dyneema/Wasabi on the 9/24, after I posted with quotes, and the Medium Cafe Bag in Black Dyneema/Wasabi the next day. Both were still available during the weekend, but have since vanished. The Brain Bag color list was edited as I posted -- I think grey was briefly there again later that day. Right now it's only Coyote and French Blue. The episode with the quickly disappearing Dyneema Western Flyers was covered in @jannilee's Western Flyer is Baaaack! thread from last year. Most of us find out about these updates when someone with particular interests in a bag or product notices a change and posts an update on the forums.
    Last edited by moriond; 09-28-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member
    Chula Vista, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm eagerly checking for S19 in dyneema

Page 5 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast