Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 85 of 156 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2336
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I’m confused by the post. Are they saying the current Luminary is actually 10 L in volume? The product page still has it listed as 12 L. I understand there’s some variation in volume testing but am disappointed.
    The product page has been updated to list the volume as 10 L.

The Luminary has a very streamlined design, it reminds me of the 1950's locomotives.

It's aim, I believe, is to be the backpack equivalent of the Pop Tote, it is perfect for an hotter temperatures EDC, in town.
    It holds a phone/ tablet/ fablet, a book, a layer for ice cold A/C, chilly evenings or a rain jacket for the unexpected storm.
    It has space for a reusable bottle to stay hydrated or a mason jar filled with a cold salad for lunch.

I would say that the Luminary is a sophisticated Daylight Backpack.

If one's EDC has extended must haves: a big laptop; a full lunch and some snacks; a pretty big reusable beverage holder; files; lots of cords, portable batteries and USB drives and a warm/waterproof layer that one has to carry, the S19 is much better suited for that.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-08-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes @backpack, I understand the appeal of the Luminary as it’s my EDC. The issue I have is that we (outside of Seattle)buy TB bags sight unseen and depend on the accuracy of the measurements. I have the older version passport case which I can just squeeze two passports into. Now we know the measurements were off but I don’t have the discretionary income to replace it.

So though I LOVE the carry and style of the Luminary, I have had to develop a system for my daily carry, editing based on the day’s activities. I’m disappointed to find that the bag is indeed 17% smaller than described. I will have to budget for the new bag sometime in the future.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

I would say that the Luminary is a sophisticated Daylight Backpack.
    agreed. they should rename the luminaries:
    The Aristocrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m confused by the post. Are they saying the current Luminary is actually 10 L in volume? The product page still has it listed as 12 L. I understand there’s some variation in volume testing but am disappointed.
    Looks like the product page is updated to now show 10L, so either the newer design changed the capacity or it was originally wrong. 14L will be interesting because I can get my 13inch laptop in there, and 14L is more than enough for a long weekend worth of clothes.

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post
    Looks like the product page is updated to now show 10L, so either the newer design changed the capacity or it was originally wrong.
    The blog post says the original was remeasured using a new method to get the 10L figure.

I like the original Luminary (I took it to Disneyland yesterday!) but I later got an S19 for when I need to carry my Surface Pro. So the new Luminary would be great for me, although I already have my bases covered with the L10 and S19.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Luminary 14 looks like it may hit a sweet-spot for me. Now all I need from Tom Bihn is a 22L Smart Alec and I will be a happy man.

I think it will be a good summer!
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spotted S19 and S25 will soon be available in original/island. I would *so* have bought this combination had it been available at the time I got my S19.
    It's gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes @backpack, I understand the appeal of the Luminary as it’s my EDC. The issue I have is that we (outside of Seattle)buy TB bags sight unseen and depend on the accuracy of the measurements. I have the older version passport case which I can just squeeze two passports into. Now we know the measurements were off but I don’t have the discretionary income to replace it.

So though I LOVE the carry and style of the Luminary, I have had to develop a system for my daily carry, editing based on the day’s activities. I’m disappointed to find that the bag is indeed 17% smaller than described. I will have to budget for the new bag sometime in the future.
    I understand, as I struggled to find an EDC backpack, which had the capacity to hold the numerous layers, needed in winter. The solution has been to add a Shop Bag to the EDC S19.

In the decade I have been a customer, to my recollection, this is the first time the capacity of a bag has been rectified by that much.

I completely understand, since for me, even accurate litter capacity, precise measurements and beautiful photograph mean nothing to understand the physical presence of a bag, because I am a visual person that cannot extrapolate 3D objects from 2D descriptions.

Over the years The Crew has done a wonderful job at posting all the items in real life situation on the video promoting the new design, and the layout of the bag in relation to everyday objects like keys, pens, lip balm...

I was about to say phone, but there is the same problem in the phone/phablet/tablet/notebook industry, about the electronic item true footprint.

I also rely on people using the electronic items and their descriptions, in relation to everyday objects such as paperbacks, hardcovers or popular brands as well as sizes of paper notebooks and notepads.

I need the forum because forum members, and especially the Moderators, post pictures of their bags with other TB bags and accessories, everyday items, on furniture, inside cars, public transit, etc...

I need that, to even get the faintest idea of, what the TB item, I am thinking of getting, is all about.

The retired Imago and the current Maker Bag and pretty much all the big bags in the Briefcase/Messenger Bag category are too big for me.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to be open-minded but asymmetrical pockets on the Luminary sound like they would drive me nuts. Kind of wish I'd bought the original while it was available.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loma View Post
    Trying to be open-minded but asymmetrical pockets on the Luminary sound like they would drive me nuts. Kind of wish I'd bought the original while it was available.
    There is an original luminary for sale on eBay right now, in black.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I'm a Luminary Evangelist, I have no opinion either way on the new design (unless there is some other feature that hasn't been discussed yet). I don't keep my phone in the side pockets, and as-is, they are perfect for the small stuff I do store in them. However, the larger size won't be a problem for me, since they are flat and don't intrude into the main compartment if unused.

I'm happy that I snapped up the ones I currently have, since the color combos I chose (with the Dawn and Canyon interiors) may not be offered any more.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

San Diego, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep happening upon Sitka Halcyon in Google Image/forum searches -- now I covet every accessory and/or bag interior in that colorway. It's the nicest shade of green I've ever come across in a material/textile.

Really hoping it comes back around for a 2.0 release, so that I can get some Sitka into my collection...

Speaking of which, what were the limited edition colors for 2017, and/or has there been mention of limited edition colors for 2018?

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the top of my head, current limited edition ones are dawn and canyon. I think there's another. Check the colors thread for the low down.

The Earth, we share.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see Black 525 Snake Charmer being listed as available.
    Not sure whether previously has such option. Otherwise, first 525 in Accessories?
    Last edited by weirdguy; 05-26-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2017 colors were (I think) Sitka, Monarch (my absolute favorite — it’s a lovely orange) and....a blue. I can’t remember the name but it’s darker than island. The best description I’ve heard is a denim blue. I have a small travel tray in that blue. If you’re really curious, I can take a picture. Or those might have been 2016 colors...
    Last edited by SPODA; 05-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Page 85 of 156 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 ... LastLast