Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irony of TB Minimalist Travel

I'm finding it ironic that in my desire to switch to more minimalist travel, I have collected an enormous pile of TB luggage, purses, packing cubes, and various organizational doodads. My old way of packing (few travel cubes and the rest thrown in haphazardly) was less organized, but just required a suitcase. The thing is, you want to be minimalist and organized for Every Single Situation. Short trips. Long trips. EDC for work. EDC for vacation. Tiny purses for trips to the gym. Bags to distribute weight. Bags to minimize weight. I just think it's funny that in my case at least, minimal travel has led to a vast collection of more stuff, and, because each added organizer doodad adds to the equation, even more thinking on how to get the exact right combination of packing things for each trip.

I adore most of my Tom Bihn stuff, but it has added a lot to the decision-making process. Can I carry the CP and the Pilot? Can I justify taking the DLBP if I already have a PCBP? Not that I have a DLBP. Yet.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL - four orders later I feel your pain! And there are still three things on my wish list that are out of stock!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about this myself the other day. There are so many choices for different situations, but I think after you use the bags and organizers in different ones you can figure out what works best and streamline what you actually end up taking out the door. I will admit though, it's fun dreaming up how to use all my bags and accessories for different scenarios.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is true as one 'experiments' with what works for minimalist travel. It's too easy to hold on to all items for the infinitely configurable perfect setup.

My collection is now diminishing as I sell on items to keep the truly essential. A long way still to go but heading in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am currently going through the mental exercise of trying to figure out what to sell in order to make space and economize for a new Freudian Slip. The problem is that I have an insane attachment to each and every Tom Bihn item I own. They are almost like old friends, having helped me through this situation or that, and by the time I am done reminiscing I've talked myself into keeping everything.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experience the same phenomenon. Good to know that I'm not alone on this.
    Right now I try to declutter my home. So for everything new coming in there are two things going away. But I still have so much other stuff to I don't need anymore that I wouldn't think of my TB bags to get rid of.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. It is so ironic that I have bought so many expensive new things while spouting on about how great it is to downsize. Since discovering Tom Bihn and this forum, I have spent a crazy amount of time obsessing over the exact right bag to carry the exact right stuff. It can add hours of extra planning to each trip outside the house.

In my case, I think it's not "minimalism" as much as "preparedness" that I am seeking. I get huge satisfaction from reaching into a well-crafted bag to whip out the perfect tool to conquer life's quotidian battles.

As my life has grown more loaded with daily decisions, challenges and responsibilities, I value anything that makes it easier. I don't want to wrestle against bad design. I want well made bag holding well made stuff.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @amy I think you described it wonderfully! For me, minimalism is about having the least amount of stuff I need to feel comfortably prepared. I know I can't reasonably be prepared for every eventuality, but I definitely feel better if I'm prepared for the challenges I am most likely to encounter.

And it is a LOT of fun to explore and experiment with new Bihn bags and accessories

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I am currently going through the mental exercise of trying to figure out what to sell in order to make space and economize for a new Freudian Slip. The problem is that I have an insane attachment to each and every Tom Bihn item I own. They are almost like old friends, having helped me through this situation or that, and by the time I am done reminiscing I've talked myself into keeping everything.
    I am doing the same thing right now, and have a few items I'll be listing on eBay in the coming week. I've placed two orders in the last week, so it's time to purge. I have found over time that you really do begin to get a sense of what bags (including colors and/or fabrics) work for you in a variety of situations. For instance, over the last year, I have been using my MCBs rather heavily on the weekends or for trips into the city and just ordered another in Black/Olive (with one of the new Freudian Slips). As much as I love my French Blue MCB, the color isn't always appropriate in a business setting when I want a smaller bag. Of course, I'm not getting rid of it, just adding to the available colors in my stock. I sold my PU because it just didn't work for me, and have switched to a Black Dyneema/UV SA & SE combo (instead of just a S19) for my EDC since it can swallow everything I've been hauling to work lately. Maybe it's also time to offer up one of my S19s to eBay as well.

It's an ongoing process, and I think I've become comfortable with the constant reassessment of the usability of each of my bags. I guess what I actually have become comfortable with is the fact that my needs keep changing over time, and that's ok because I'm then able to pass these great bags along to someone else who will care for them just as much as I do :-)
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same issue. I used a Black/Steel/Iberian Smart Alec on my last trip and ordered a Olive/UV Synapse 25 to go lighter. Just went through an agonizing decision to keep the Synapse and decided to keep it. My minimalist desire is leading to more Tom Bihn bags. I love them.