Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Flyer as a two laptop bag

I have been living in a hotel on business for almost a year and early on became unsatisfied with using my work issued, internet filtered laptop as a personal PC, so I bought an Acer Chromebook 15 to use for general surfing and as an entertainment center (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) As my trip back looms, I realized that I can't carry on two laptop bags, so I started looking for something that would hold two laptops. Since I have another carry on, this would be my personal item and have to go under the seat. So I bought the Western Flyer, in black Dyneema. Very impressed with the quality of the workmanship.
    Originally I was not going to use Brain Cells, trying to keep it small to keep under the seat, but I reconsidered. I looked into putting horizontal Brain Cells into the Western Flyer's two compartments. Both of my laptops would require a Size 1 Brain Cell. When you look at the sizing guide, though, the Western Flyer was not listed as a compatible bag. I looked at all the relevant dimensions and it looked to me like they would fit, although without much extra room.
    So I wrote the company asking whether two horizontal size 1 Brain Cells would fit in the bag.
    Cyndi from Customer Service got back to me within a day (love this company). This is the relevant part of her reply:
    "The size 1 Horizontal Brain Cell does not show up on the list because it fits super snug into the bag. That being said, it does fit and I could zip up the bag, its just a bit tight and takes up all the space in the compartment."
    That is OK with me since it is a dedicated laptop bag, so I ordered the brain cells.
    I just wanted to share their reply, and wonder if anyone else has tried this successfully.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info @speedy and Welcome to the Forum! I agree that TB Customer Service is fantastic.

I also posted a few pics of both Vertical and Horizontal Size 1 Brain Cells in my Ballistic Western Flyer:

Quick Question about the Western Flyer

For your Dyneema version, I would think it would have a bit more stretch to fit even easier.

For reference, the Empire Builder (and retired Zephyr) can also easily carry 2 big laptops and have built-in padding so you can use a cache instead of a Brain Cell (which you can still use).

Here is a video for the Empire Builder (Maverick - did you do this video?):

2 Laptops in an Empire Builder

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-28-2015 at 10:52 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post

I also posted a few pics of both Vertical and Horizontal Size 1 Brain Cells in my Ballistic Western Flyer:

Quick Question about the Western Flyer

For your Dyneema version, I would think it would have a bit more stretch to fit even easier.
    Thanks, tpnl. The pics were great, I can see it would be a tight fit but should work.
    I originally passed on the brain cells because I was nervous about the underseat space; I am flying back AA and like aisle seats, and my research says there is a problem there in a 737-800. Apparently the seat support reduces the available space, and they mounted electronics boxes under the seats that reduces the vertical clearance. But the Dyneema bag really does not have much padding (although when I researched the fiber and saw words like 15 times stronger than steel, how could I resist?), so I was worried about the unprotected laptops. The brain cells basically double the thickness of the filled bag, but still only 4 inches. I plan to put a lot of the cables, adapters, mouse etc in the other carryon.
    The cache may have been a better choice, but it is hard to argue with the protection the brain cell gives.