Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attn: moriond (please): Side Effect

Hi moriond. You mentioned in this thread that you sometimes hang the SE off the back of the seat in front of you.

Can you explain more about that? Have you concocted some setup with the tray latch?

Thanks!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the idea was to use the double carabiners available in the PARTS item under the accessories tab to connect it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenalvsTB View Post
    Hi moriond. You mentioned in this thread that you sometimes hang the SE off the back of the seat in front of you.

Can you explain more about that? Have you concocted some setup with the tray latch?

Thanks!
    Hi @lenalvsTB, For turning the Side Effect into a seat pocket bag on airline flights, I was referring to this post in the Double Carabiner, 4 thumbs up! thread from nearly 2 years ago, which showed pictures like these:

and the close-up showing how the clips can swivel to make the connection work better:

This happens to be a 400d Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect, so that I can hold my iPad Mini along with Kindle, and other items, but it will work for any Side Effect (if I don't need to carry the iPad Mini in its red, SwitchEasy Canvas hard case with smart cover shown in the picture).

The principle and idea behind this hack came from @Ms. Ferret's great Side Effect + S-Biners as seat pocket bag thread, where she posted this picture:

You can also take a look at @conejo23's What's the best way to do this? thread, where he asked about carrying small items with him during flights. He posted that, like some others, it was more comfortable for him to use the waist-band strap of the Side Effect and hook this around the drop-down tray -- otherwise the Side Effect hung too close to him in the seat. Again, this was discussed earlier in @Ms. Moon's thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by drobinson View Post
    On my last long haul trip I just used the waist strap of my SideEffect to strap it to the tray table. Pull it tight and close the tray, just hangs there like it was meant to be.

Worked great for easy access without killing legroom and disappeared under the tray during meal time.
    The ideal solution may depend on your size relative to the size of the seat.

You can use this hack on other bags like the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (if you want a larger seat pocket bag), or even on non-TB accessories in your possession. I detailed some of the nice features of the Double Carabiner clips in other posts in @backpack's Double Carabiner, 4 thumbs up! thread (linked above). If you buy 3 knitting tool pouches, a Double Carabiner clip will be included with your order, or you can order them separately from the Parts drop down menu.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I think some people also use the included 5/8" shoulder strap to secure the Side Effect around a tray table, but I can't locate any pictures illustrating this.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-27-2015 at 10:20 PM.

Colorado Springs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The double-carabiner/SE seat pocket hack is still my favorite. Use it on every flight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this EXACT same thing with a mesh cube and the side effect. I was just going to post these photos on Instagram but might as well just post here:

Attn: moriond (please): Side Effect-imageuploadedbytapatalk1448747861-043600-jpg

I have two bags that I keep at the seat with me: a mesh cube and a Side Effect. The cube has any chargers or cables that I may need during the flight.

The Side Effect has toothbrush, hand sanitizer, pain killers and sleep inducers, Kind bars, my passport, etc.

The hook of the mesh cube fits perfectly over the seat in front in business class on the 767s (works better on 777s and 747s even). Since the side effect lacks a hook, I suspend it from the mesh cube.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i already have the double-carabiners in my shopping cart....going to have to get a waist strap now and try out all these options. It makes me a little sad that I only have one flight between now and the end of the year...but I'm inspired to think of some good car hacks.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @bzn, If you want your Side Effect to hang horizontally under your 3D Mesh Organizer Cube, you can hook 8" key straps between the O-rings of the two bags. Here's a picture showing the way that @scribe rigged this up to create a toiletry bag set up using two 3D Clear Organizer Cubes and 8" key straps:

That sequence was from a discussion of toiletry kits in the old Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well thread. (I'll just note that they've changed some of their recommendations since then, but a Tom Bihn bag continues to hold their top recommendation for non-roller bag carry-on luggage.)

The Side Effect is slightly larger than the 3D Organizer cube, but the result is pretty similar. If you don't want so much space between the 3D Organizer Cube and the suspended Side Effect, you can use a pair of double carabiner clips to join the two accessories through the side O-rings. The bottom of the organizer pouch sits a little above the top of the Side Effect zipper in this configuration, and it looks like this:
    Attachment 13847

Note that this won't work well if your Side Effect is really heavy and your 3D organizer cube is nearly empty, since the sides of the 3D organizer cube will simply collapse.

Sorry for the not great picture, but I had to find some place where I could suspend the 3D cube from a hook to show you how it would hang.

HTH

moriond
    Attached Images Attached Images Attn: moriond (please): Side Effect-img_2888-jpg 
    Last edited by moriond; 11-28-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond: great!!! I never thought about using the keystraps like that. All of my extra keystraps have just been waiting around to be repurposed.