Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question: parapack vs cordura

I am making a list of TB accessories I'd like to gift this year. I'd like to get the Snake Charmer for my son. I notice that in the Olive color there is both a Cordura version as well as a Parapack version. Any preferences, pro/cons for each? I did see there was a post about cordura vs parapack in the forums. If anyone who has items in both fabrics could weigh in that would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like parapack more than Cordura. It's a slicker feel and it's shinier. I think the weight is almost the same.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that feedback. In one of the forums there is some discussion of parapack showing a little more wear while Cordura 'hides' that. It sounds as though both are very durable and it may just be personal preference.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    Thanks for that feedback. In one of the forums there is some discussion of parapack showing a little more wear while Cordura 'hides' that. It sounds as though both are very durable and it may just be personal preference.
    The current Snake Charmers in Cordura all use 1000d weight Cordura (the same material as the outside of the Cafe Bags). Up till about a year+ ago, Snake Charmers used to be made in 500d weight Cordura (which is what they used for the Brain Cells, and the lining of the older Cafe Bags and other Briefcases -- it's a finer and smoother grade of Cordura, and it's my preferred large organizer pouch material for carrying papers -- even over Parapack). When Parapack came out, a couple of years ago, they made the Snake Charmers in both 500d weight Cordura and Parapack. Then, when the brilliant lining colors of 500d Cordura ran out (they used to have wonderful colors like Crimson, Sapphire, Wasabi, Cayenne, and Olive in addition to Steel and Black), they started offering the 1000d weight Cordura fabrics.

If you like Olive, I'd recommend getting the Olive Parapack material. Even though I'm not particularly an Olive fan, Olive Parapack has a shimmery quality that is very nice. The Cordura color options are available for people who want more color varieties than the Olive, Steel, Navy, and Black Parapack colors.

HTH

moriond

ETA: I like the Parapack option for accessories, like the Side Effect, though I tend to like other options for the larger bags.
    Last edited by moriond; 11-27-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Parapack Synapse 19 definitely shows more, um, experience than my Cordura Synapse 25. But Parapack is still my favourite, and for something like a Snake Charmer that will likely spend a lot of time inside another bag, I would go Parapack as it's a really neat looking fabric.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably more than you even want to know ...

From my understanding, the denier of Cordura that TB uses is 1000d which is stronger than the 420d Parapack. Of course, this also means that a bag made of Parapack would be lighter than the same bag in Cordura.

Also, Cordura is "rougher" and so has a more natural look than the more shiny, smooth Parapack. IMHO, this also means it will not show scratches as much as the Parapack as it is rougher already. So depending on how you like your bags (natural looking or urban sleek), you may prefer one over the other.

It is also good to note that Cordura is known to be more of a pet hair magnet so there is more of a chance you will need to clean off pet hair.

One observation I have from seeing pictures of a Parapack S25 and a Cordura version is that the Parapack version seems to show creases /bulges more - I believe partially due to the lighter weight fabric not being as stiff and the fact that it is shiny showing off the unevenness more in the light:

Parapack version:

Cordura version:

If you really want to get into the materials and their different characteristics, see this thread:

Parapack vs Cordura vs Ballistic

All this be said, I think for a Snake Charmer, either would be good. If you have a cat/dog and your son likes a more urban look, the Parapack might work. If liking a more natural look, the Cordura would be good if you can keep your cat/dog/rabbit/hamster away! However, given the amount of Cordura in a Snake Charmer, I do not think it would be that great an issue with Pet Hair.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an olive parapack snake charmer which I use for art supplies and a Cordura SC I use for toiletries at the gym. A consideration while deciding might in be what bag will your son carry his SC. The parapack will slide in and out a bit more smoothly than the Cordura. But, YMMV!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input. I think Parapack is the winner. It will be something a little different and I think in the photos, it looks really nice.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're very helpful! I did read through the post you linked, but the additional input in this thread has helped me to decide on the parapack.