Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?

Looking at @NWhikergal's great pictures of her burnt orange Maker's Bag with an Island PCSB inside, it got me wondering if the Maker's Bag could be used for a one-night getaway sort of bag. I guess it would depend on where you are going temperature-wise and also the size of your clothes. But as much as I would love to learn how to knit, I just don't see that happening in the near future. So even though originally I felt that this new bag would be too large for me and I would not be using it for knitting projects, I would like to see if maybe it might fill in for a one-nighter. Any thoughts?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay tuned. Once I recover from the events of this morning, I will be posting my Alternate Uses for the Maker's Bag review, including what organizer pouches to use to maximize the space for overnight travel. Hopefully it'll be up tonight, but if it's not, it wasn't the website, mmkay? It was because I fell over in a heap.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea Badger!

Cambridge, UK
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine it would be an ideal overnight bag - it's not much smaller volume-wise than a Pilot, and the organisation looks to be more flexible.

Such a pity Forest ballistic has been discontinued. I love my Forest Pilot and Imago, and would kill for a matching Maker's Bag Smilie
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19
    Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the Maker's Bag kitted out as an overnight bag—with photos.

Preamble:
    The Maker’s Bag ticks all the right boxes for me: it’s got simple, classic styling; it’s got great organization features right out of the box yet it’s flexible enough to accommodate packing accessories; it’s the perfect size for what I tend to carry on most days. I really like that it’s not too stodgy or business-like, but I feel like I could take it into a meeting without being mistaken for the intern (at least not because of my bag). It has a ton of pockets, too (12 in total!), and, while I can’t see myself using each and every pocket all the time, the fact that they’re spread out around the bag means I have a lot of different options for where I want to put things. Finally, I love that there’s a place to store a water bottle or travel mug, but that it’s tucked neatly inside the bag.

I’ve been carrying the Maker’s Bag for about a week, and have found it very intuitive to use. It was just enough like the Cafe Bag that I felt instantly comfortable with it, but, as with other more “involved” TB bags, there are fun design aspects that I uncover each time I use it. It’s eminently customizable, and I can see it wearing many different hats for both work and leisure.

Originally, I was going to put a whole bunch of reviews together and publish at one time, but that’s turning out to be not a good idea. Because @tpnl has already demonstrated the Maker’s Bag’s prowess as a work bag, I’m going to focus on overnight work travel. Since this is my hypothetical scenario, let’s say that the event to which I’m going involves a hypothetical plane ride, and that I’ll need a change of clothes after my hypothetical power meeting.

Note: I’m not using all of the included components. The first thing I did was remove the waist strap; next, I replaced the padded Standard Shoulder Strap with the unpadded Standard Shoulder Strap (this is just a preference—I like the lower profile of the pad-less strap, and I’m not really loading up my bag with anything heavy).

So here’s what I’ve got:
    Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube: A shirt, a T-shirt, a pair of trousers, a tank top, a change of socks n’ chonies

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00308-jpg

Horizontal Cache: An 11” MBA at 100% battery life (hence, no charger, but there’s totally room)
    A pad of paper (size A4)
    A Hobonichi Techo and a couple of Field Notes
    A Kindle Paperwhite
    A pair of glasses
    Klean Kanteen (18 oz.)
    Earbuds

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00305-jpg

3D Clear Organizer Cube: A bunch of travel toiletries
    Small Organizer Pouch: A charging cable, usb plug, and external battery for my phone
    Small Organizer Pouch: Hand sanitizer, mints, lip balm, Kleenex
    Two pens
    Mini flashlight
    A Clif Bar (just like in the good old days!)

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00309-jpg

Here’s everything in the bag:

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00300-jpg

I put the paper in the zip pocket in the main compartment, the computer in front of that, then the packing cube. The water bottle and glasses tucked into each side mesh pocket and the earbuds and memo books went in the interior pockets. The 3D OC, both Small OPs, the pens, the bar, and the flashlight all went in the front zipped pocket.

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00302-jpg

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00303-jpg

Here it is, all ready to go.

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00299-jpg

Maker's Bag as an overnight bag?-img_00298-jpg

The rundown:
    If I was just going somewhere for one night, I wouldn't generally pack a pair of pants or a full pad of paper and three memo books, and I would probably also bring lighter weight (read: all merino) clothing. I'd also take way greater care packing. As it was, I packed normal clothes and just sort of stuffed them in the packing cube; I dumped a bunch of random toiletries in the Clear OC; and I kind of just put things wherever it occurred to me to put them. To maximize space in the Maker's Bag, packing cubes seem pretty necessary to me. You may even want to try some of the third-party compression packing cubes just so the clothes will be as out of the way as possible. I just wanted to demonstrate that it's possible to pack kind of haphazardly and still achieve a fairly lightweight bag (even without an Absolute Strap, this load was no burden for me at all).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Badger; 12-01-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great post, @Badger. And I like the way you showed how glasses (in hard case) fit into either of the Maker Bag's main compartment pockets (to right or left of the large center one, which can hold up to an iPad Mini in hard case width object flat). For general purpose packing into various travel bags (re-puposing them for use in overnight travel), I've found the medium size Tri-Star Packing Cube and the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube the most useful, so this also works out as no surprise. A very handsome bag (I opted for Navy/Wasabi for the Maker's Bag this time around, too.)

moriond

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY! This is, with a few exceptions, pretty close to what I take on all my business trips. Come on navy/wasabi second run!!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Badger, thank you so much for your excellent pictures. Seeing close-ups of the zippered compartments and the inside really helps a lot too. Now I see that indeed the Maker's Bag can be used as an overnighter. I also like your suggestion of a compression packing cube. It makes sense. So I will ponder the question of dyneema vs. ballistic in the meantime.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These images make me happy because I have long been yearning for a TB messenger-style bag that could carry both my gym stuff and additional books, etc. An LCB holds my shoes (in a TriStar packing cube), my gym clothes (in a smaller Eagle cube), my water bottle, and a stuff sack with a lock, etc., but there isn't really room for much else. I wish it was still a tiny bit bigger, and I wish it had a slash back pocket like the LCB, but I'm definitely going to give this a shot when they restock.