Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: A30 and A45?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 and A45?

Hello.

So, a while back, I picked up an Aeronaut 30 in beautiful navy/zest. It is now available in the A45 size. I'm wondering, for those that have both the A30 and A45, do you use both? Or, do you find that one size is used more than the other? Also, for those that have both, do you prefer to color match or have complementing colors? I'm also considering the A45 in steel/island.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both, it usually depends on the season and therefore the bulk of my clothes. I justify it in part by knowing that I can store the A30 inside the A45 when not in use.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both, too. I tend to use the A30 year-round and the A45 more in the winter, although both came along with me on a cross-country trip this past summer. Both bags are Black/Iberian, which is the colorway of most of my bags.

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an A30. Honestly, it would be nice to have a little extra space - but the A30, packed full, is right at the edge of what I can comfortably carry. However, the A45 will fit more than most carry-on rollers.

Oh - and you will LOVE the zest lining. That's what I have. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    navy/zest looks great Smilie i should've waited 1 week haha. (i got the navy/wasabi which is pretty cool too)

i dont have the A30 but i'd say i'd rather under-pack the A45 than not have the extra space.for clothes only they're both great but if you need to add a few more things (a box, a camera, etc) the A45 allows for that a lot more easily - even thus its still tight (its a carry bag after all!), i wouldnt want to lose 15L.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have both in our household. I use an A30 and for my height and build (5ft5 and 58kg) I find that to be the perfect size (without a hip belt, the A30 is probably my limit when packed full). My husband (6ft 1) opted to get another A30 but we later won an A45 on Ebay and to be honest, he now uses the A45 the most - either packed full for trips up to 10 days or partially packed for shorter trips. His A30 is now used by my 16 year old son and he loves that (more space and easier to pack than his S25 and he can fit his 13" macbook in it). As to whether you stick to the same or complementary colours is a personal choice - my husband has opted for black/steel with a burnt orange DLBP and I have a Aubergine/wasabi A30 and verde PU and SE. Generally, I'm not one for matching colours, unless I was sticking to classic black/steel.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I use both, too. I tend to use the A30 year-round and the A45 more in the winter,
    I'd second this. The A30 is my first choice for most trips and the A45 for larger load occasions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Scotland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a navy/zest A45 which I love but for short trips find there is too much space and yes I do understand the concept of packing less but my brain seems to say you have all this space it is a shame to waste it. Just ordered an A30 in black dynamo/island which I'm looking forward to using for a couple of short trips at the beginning of the new year. My expectation is that I will use both, it will all depend on the circumstances of the trip.

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally bought an A45 and I liked how much stuff it held. It was way to heavy for me to comfortably carry any more than a few feet. I now have an A30 that I like better. It fits travel for a few days easily-- my business trips are usually 2-3 days. I am not a light packer by any means and don't do laundry during them, so anything longer demands a roller, or if I plan to shop at the destination. (I can't leave Hawaii without some of those macadamia nut confections...)

I sort of wish I had kept the A45 for car trips and because it's pretty, but sometimes you need to sacrifice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by featherwitch View Post
    I sort of wish I had kept the A45 for car trips and because it's pretty, but sometimes you need to sacrifice!
    Dear featherwitch,

You may want to consider the Yeoman Duffel if you feel like you want more space on a car trip. It has a whole another level of capacity (71 liters). It also nicely accommodates being checked-in. It may come out looking a little dusty, but it cleans up well! Smilie
    -m