Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moveable Feast vs. Large Shop Bag

Looking to get my mom a Christmas gift, and I am deciding between the two.

First of all, with the Moveable Feast currently OOS, will I even be able to get one by Christmas without paying an arm+leg for shipping? (located in Southern California)

She goes grocery shopping a lot (where obviously one bag is not enough), but she also fairly often goes to the weekly farmers market to pick up some small items.

So I am looking for a bag that she can comfortably carry her items in. I stress comfort because I am worried that the Moveable Feast might be a little too heavy and it can't be carried around the shoulder like the Shop Bag. How has the weight feel with people? Also what is the storage capacity of the Shop Bag compared to the 27 liters of the Moveable Feast.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is my understanding bags will be ready again by December 11. You can sign up for an email under each item you are considering on the TB Home page.

How much stuff does she buy at the farmers markets? And are her purchases heavy? Is it a large place where she will walk a lot? She could set it down while perusing the produce, etc...

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e5volcano View Post
    what is the storage capacity of the Shop Bag compared to the 27 liters of the Moveable Feast.
    Based solely on the dimensions, the large is about 19.6 liters and the small is about 11 liters.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @e5volcano - does your mom carry her bags over her shoulder or by hand? The Shop Bags can be carried over the shoulder - the Moveable Feast, not so much without another shoulder strap.

Also, IMHO, the Moveable Feast is more meant for heavier items that are easiest carried by hand - watermelons, etc or when needing structure for delicate items that need to be separated and kept ordered - wine, cake, flowers.

The MF is definitely bigger than the large shop bag and also heavier due to the ballistic fabric.

To me, the MF is more a daily grocery bag where you just buy what you need for your next meal - not a buy for the week type of bag. I will be using it to "top up" with groceries I did not get or forgot to get on the weekend or to get delicate things - cakes, etc.

I am no expert and I think everyone will use it differently so I think it goes back to how your mom shops, for what and what her preferences are for carry methods. However, I will say that the Moveable Feast is presentable enough to be at a restaurant / work environment without attracting undue attention as a grocery bag - more like a large tote.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The amount of stuff she buys from the market varies from medium load to large load. She also likes to have her hands free so she carries her bag on the shoulder. So I am not so sure if she can adjust to carrying a bag at her hand like the Moveable Feast

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she likes a shoulder carry, go with the shop bag. You can get her a large and small for less than one MF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    You can sign up for an email under each item you are considering on the TB Home page.
    Marytattoo, thank you! I had missed this very important feature. elisa

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with tpnl that the Moveable Feast is really made to carry heavier items. It is a very well constructed sturdy bag. I've now had it for a couple of days (not long enough for a final opinion). Today I used it shopping for wine and other heavy items and it was *great*. Carrying several heavy items, separated so they wouldn't clang into each other was perfect. The bag could handle heavy items that wouldn't have been comfortable or safe carrying in the shop bag.

That said, I find the shop bags more versatile and useable in daily grocery and farmers market shopping. They are lighter. One can be folded and put in a pocket of the other just in case your mom needs two. They can be reversed so pockets are in the outside...this allows bottles to be carried while not taking up internal space. They can be slung over the shoulder or carried by hand.

The only time I've found that the MF is preferable so far is when you need the structure to carry several heavy items or when you have several glass bottles that you want to keep separate.

I'd vote for starting with the shop bags. Think of them as a gateway TB bag. She can always add a MF later on. Although the shop bags may seem kinda plain compared to the MF, they aren't...they are surprisingly wonderful. People I've given them to were a little perplexed/nonplussed at first but after using them came back and thanked me effusively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the MF, but from what I've seen the added benefits of that bag are much greater structure, durability, and organisation. But that's not to say that the shop bags are a poor choice. You can pack a decently organised shop bag with a bit of strategy (the side pockets are great for glass bottles, BTW). Dyneema is already very, very tough-- tough enough that I've used a LSB to haul ~7 hardcover books at least 2" thick to and from the library, so durability isn't an issue with the SB either. As for organisation... well, no doubt the SBs make a puddle on the floor, but the upside is that it folds up and stores very nicely. You won't get that with the MF.

If she wants something extra durable and smart, wait until the black SBs come back into stock. They're quite formal-looking compared to the coloured ones, a bit stiffer, and 400D dyneema is, duh, stronger than the 200D!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 12-06-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a good discussion and all of you have highlighted the considerations of the Moveable Feast versus the Large Shop Bag. The handles on the MF are quite short, only meant for hand carry I think. I used mine for the first time today for the farmer's market, and it worked very well to hold: loaf of bread, 2 bags greens, large bunch carrots, Mason jar of juice, cilantro, 2 small heads broccoli, wallet. I carried grapes and strawberries in my other hand since the MF was quite full already. I like it a lot, but so far for me it has been a very specialized use bag. I can also see using it to pack picnic lunches or food for car trips.

I realized as I was using it that I would *really* find a pared down MF useful: the same sturdy ballistic construction, same large capacity, but no internal flaps or pockets. An all-purpose bucket tote, if you will. I would keep one of those in the car at all times to stash coats, water bottles, and travel gear. Perhaps someday!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a couple of shopping trips with my MF, I would definitely recommend your getting a shop bag(s) for your mother. I found it awkward and heavy to use the short-handled MF. My flowers and baguette were awkwardly situated for carrying the bag on my arm, and the MF was just too heavy and didn't fit my shopping items very well. The MF has a noticeable weight when empty, and looking at the specs, it's three times the weight of a large shop bag. That 1.6875 pounds doesn't sound like much, but when you're filling the bag with heavy food objects (parsnips, winter squashes, carrots, fennel), it's an additional pound that could have been used carrying something else. For me, the additional weight and the structure of the MF outweigh its benefits. If I'm carrying more than a couple of glass bottles (which can be safely corralled in the pockets of a shop bag), then it's always wine, and I use one of the six-bottle-wine carriers from Trader Joe's. The compartments in the ones I have go all the way to the bottom, and I can easily carry a case of wine (one six-bottle carrier in each hand) up and down our stairs with two of them.

The one disadvantage I see to the shop bags is that they don't stand upright by themselves (at least, my dyneema ones don't) to be filled. If you're using them at a grocery store, you have to hold them open until you block out the ends. The MF has the advantage of standing open by itself, but that isn't particularly useful to me when I'm at a farmers' market, because I'm not placing my bag down anywhere for it to stand open by itself there. A disadvantage of the MF is that it does not fit in the space for bagging items at the self-checkouts in my area.
    Last edited by biscuit; 12-07-2015 at 12:51 PM.

North of the TB Mothership
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I can also see using it to pack picnic lunches or food for car trips.

I am so tired of cleaning goo out of my back pack because of improperly sealed tupperware tipping, naked ripe fruit getting smashed and a million other things that happen when you throw your food into "mom's bag" because you know it will come with you and won't get lost.

The idea of having a compartmentalized bag that holds lunch for car trips or picnics for concerts in the park sounds lovely. Now if only I can train my boys to put things in properly...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e5volcano View Post
    First of all, with the Moveable Feast currently OOS, will I even be able to get one by Christmas without paying an arm+leg for shipping? (located in Southern California)
    I can't speak to the Moveable Feast itself, but I can give you a decent idea about shipping. I'm in Northern CA (Bay Area), and TB is Consistently within the 2-day UPS ground window for me. I'd expect you'd just need to add a day for yourself. So as long as whatever you order ships by the 19th or so, I'd expect you to be OK (keeping in mind busy christmas shipping stuff...)

For reference, I ordered something at 8:30pm on Tues 12/1, it was packed and picked up by UPS on Wed 12/2, and was delivered to me on Friday 12/4. Remember they'll get busier and busier as the season wears to a close, so it might add a day for them to get it packed and shipped (or maybe not - they're pretty quick over there!)

Hope that helps!

Cheers
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing Frown **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received a large shop bag and immediately think that I need a small one. This is great, but I'd like something that I could roll up tight and keep in my Synapse or DLBC as overflow. For my use, the small rolled option is what makes the shop bag beat out a MF.

Does anyone remember a video or instructions about folding the bags tight? Maybe even fitting them into stuff sacks? I feel like there was an old post, but I can't find it.

Am I right that a small bag would roll up materially smaller than a large one? (I should return the large one, but I'm already coming up with uses.)

Thanks in advance.

Lehigh Valley, PA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Fulton - Answers to most of your questions can be found in this thread here.

Regarding size difference...assuming a rectangular prism shape and disregarding the handles, the SSB has a total material area of ~420 in2 and the LSB an area of ~615 in2. Therefore the LSB *should* take up 40-50% more space than the SSB.
    Last edited by nathant4; 12-08-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast