Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which bags do you want us to make in Halcyon Black 400d?

Voters
326. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Maker’s Bag

83 25.46%
  • Cadet

18 5.52%
  • Pilot

81 24.85%
  • Co-Pilot

63 19.33%
  • Western Flyer

58 17.79%
  • Tri-Star

38 11.66%
  • Night Flight Travel Duffel

47 14.42%
  • Daylight Briefcase

70 21.47%
  • Parental Unit

30 9.20%
  • Field Journal Notebook

41 12.58%
  • Side Effect

154 47.24%
  • Swift

48 14.72%
  • Cafe Bags

107 32.82%
  • Shop Bags

80 24.54%
  • Daylight Backpack

123 37.73%
  • Brain Bag

34 10.43%
  • Guide's Pack

7 2.15%
  • Smart Alec

64 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid)

You know us: we get geeked about fabric. If you do too, read The Full Story. If you don't, here's the gist:

• In late March/early April, we will officially change the name of the fabric we've been calling "Dyneema/nylon" to "Halcyon."
    • At our request, our fabric mill in Japan has developed a version of our heavier-weight 400d Dyneema/nylon fabric with a black grid, as opposed to the white grid we're all accustomed to. We think that the fabric looks great on the exterior of our bags.
    • We've been testing an Aeronaut 30 and a Synapse 19 (photos below) made out of the fabric for the past nine months. On a beach hike with our new black-gridded Synapse 19, we saw a kingfisher fly past, inspiring us to choose the name "Halcyon."
    • We expect to have the Synapse 19, Synapse 25, Aeronaut 30, and Aeronaut 45 in both white and black grid by late April. Other bags will follow.
    • "Halcyon 400d", previously known as "400d Dyneema/nylon", will now feature a black grid—or very dark grey to some eyes.
    • The 200d fabric remains same; only its name is changing from "200d Dyneema/nylon" to "Halcyon 200d".

The Full Story

Since 2005, we’ve been using several different nylon fabrics that have a ripstop grid of ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene* fibers woven into them. The grid of UHMWPE adds a high degree of tear resistance to the base nylon fabric; it also enhances abrasion resistance. Because UHMWPE fibers do not take dye, they remain a natural white color after the base nylon fabric is processed, resulting in the white grid pattern to which we’ve all become accustomed.

UHMWPE fiber is manufactured by several different companies around the world; the two original brands were Spectra and Dyneema.

The UHMWPE fibers have a lower melting temperature than the surrounding nylon fibers. While this difference does not affect the utility of the resulting fabric or finished product, it makes adding a waterproof coating to the fabric a challenge: typically the urethane coating must be heat-set for it to cure properly, and dialing in a temperature that will set the coating but not melt the UHMWPE turns out to quite difficult.

The early versions of nylon fabric with a ripstop grid of UHMWPE were made here in the US, using “Spectra” brand UHMWPE. This early fabric was quite strong and beautiful, but often the coating never properly cured and remained tacky. This made the interior of a bag somewhat icky to the touch, and worse yet, if you left the bag stored for a period of time with two coated surfaces folded against each other, they would permanently glue themselves together and make the bag useless. We experimented with this Spectra / nylon ripstop, but the coating issue forced us, along with the rest of the industry, to abandon it.

To the rescue came our fabric mill in Japan. They have a way of applying urethane to nylon which does not require heat-setting—they call it “dry coating”, and that’s about all they’ll say about this proprietary process. For almost ten years now, we’ve been using this Japanese UHMWPE "Dyneema" / nylon fabric with great success. You guys love it, and we do too—in the 200 denier weight, it is an awesome fabric for the interior of bags as well as accessories.

In 2012, we approached our mill in Japan about making a heavier weight version (420 denier UHMWPE "Dyneema" and 400 denier nylon) for use on the exterior of our bags. This fabric turned out to be a great alternative to our 1050 denier U.S. high tenacity ballistic nylon for folks who want to save weight and don't mind a slightly less "indestructible" bag.

As an exterior fabric, however, we thought it would look even better if the UHMWPE fibers were black or grey as opposed to bright white, so we went back to our mill in Japan and bugged them again. In 2014 they began working with a new source of the UHMWPE fibers that were available pre-dyed dark grey, rather than their native white.

Fast-forward to 2016, and we present for your consideration, "Halcyon." It’s the same tough UHMWPE / nylon blend to which you’re accustomed, except now the heavier weight (420d/400d) version will feature a grid of very dark grey (almost black) UHMWPE yarns. We think it's the bee's knees! The 200d Halcyon fabric is indistinguishable in look, feel and performance from the old Dyneema / nylon ripstop, and will feature the same diamond ripstop pattern behind the white grid of UHMWPE: same mill, same fabric, same coating, just a new source for the UHMWPE, and hence a new name.

Moving forward we will be using Halcyon, the Japanese UHMWPE, in both grey grid and white grid. Welcome Halcyon! You'll see the website updated in late March / early April so that all references to "Dyneema" will be changed to "Halcyon."

* Abbreviated UHMWPE or UHMW, and also known as High-modulus polyethylene (HMPE) or High-performance polyethylene (HPPE).

Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid)-tom-bihn-black-dyneema-halcyon-synapse-1-jpg

Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid)-tom-bihn-black-dyneema-fabric-halcyon-uhmwpe-jpg

Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid)-tom-bihn-black-halcyon-dyneema-uhmwpe-jpg
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So exciting! That looks amazing!! Can't wait to get some new bags Smilie

@Darcy when will we start seeing them available for purchase?
    Last edited by DeBru; 02-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introducing TOM BIHN Halcyon Fabric (White Grid and Black Grid)

I need this!! In a Swift! With a UV interior! Your sales are so totally going to spike, Darcy.

*calms down* Wow. Thanks, guys. You're seriously the best.

ETA again: What does this spell for coloured 400d though? Do you envision producing coloured dyneema with white or grey grid? Or a mix of both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adalangdon; 02-24-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, wow. Just wow. Absolutely love this look. It's really classy, IMO. Got to start saving up for some serious purchases.

Thank you, TB Crew, for keeping things fresh and exciting!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh...I like!

SF Bay Area ; He/Him
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the pics, the bags look fantastic in this black grid!
    I felt the white grid lines to look a bit frenetic to me IMO; I'd been wishing for more of a blend and now my wish has come true!

Also love the name Halcyon! It has great meaning.

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH. MY. GOODNESS. *faints*
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m glad you guys like it as much as we do! It’s been difficult for us to keep this a secret for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by DeBru View Post
    @Darcy when will we start seeing them available for purchase?
    We're estimating late April, and the first bags to debut in Halcyon 400d Black and (see below) will be the Aeronaut 30 and 45 and Synapse 19 and 25. No word on lining colors just yet... (any votes?)

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    ETA again: What does this spell for coloured 400d though? Do you envision producing coloured dyneema with white or grey grid? Or a mix of both?
    We’ve got to keep part of this a surprise, don’t we? Smilie
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote is for linings in Solar, Island, and Zest!

New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're estimating late April, and the first bags to debut in Halcyon 400d Black and (see below) will be the Aeronaut 30 and 45 and Synapse 19 and 25. No word on lining colors just yet... (any votes?)
    I've been trying to decide if I need to buy an A30 for my trip to Chicago the beginning of May or if I can just use my trusty Western Flyer. If a Halcyon Black/UV A30 were to magically appear in time for my trip that would totally tip the scales <3

I also second the request for a Halcyon Black/UV Swift...just sayin'
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, now I am glad I went with ballistic for my recent Smart Alec purchase. This way, if I like it, I can get another in Halcyon eventually :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I've been trying to decide if I need to buy an A30 for my trip to Chicago the beginning of May or if I can just use my trusty Western Flyer. If a Halcyon Black/UV A30 were to magically appear in time for my trip that would totally tip the scales <3

I also second the request for a Halcyon Black/UV Swift...just sayin'
    You totally need an A30! And I'll third the request for a Halcyon Black/UV Swift.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    YES

also AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Very classy-looking.
    EDC: SCB/MCB, Swift for knitting, small shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: kiwi, verde, nordic & black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet, ursa
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    +1 for these colours and also UV, please please UV. Did I mention UV?

SO excited about the new Halcyon fabric in black!!! I love my Smart Alec and small and large Cafe Bags in black dyneema--and they DO get a lot of compliments--and now I really look forward to supplementing them with some all-black cousins.

After your initial run of Aeronauts & Synapses, I'd vote for Cafe Bags and a Side Effect in the new all-black Halcyon ... with cheerful bright linings.

Also, @Darcy, thanks for the 'full story.' A fun read. Guess that makes me a fabric geek too. Smilie

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast