Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Augh, decisions!

Help! Since navy/wasabi is out again, I am stuck between aubergine/NWS and verde/NWS... Understanding that it is a matter of personal taste and perception, I still have a question to throw out to people...

I am thinking year-roundness in the northern hemisphere... Does aubergine work for summer as well as fall/winter? Do you find verde more "all-seasons?" I am normally not into greens, but for some reason, that option is catching my eye.

For those of you who have an MB in verde, are you at all distracted by the black piping? It seems to blend in more with the aubergine.

Thanks for any feedback!

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have either color (I had a grey one that has been confiscated by my teenager), but I would think it would depend largely on what colors you prefer to wear. If you wear mostly rich colors all year like I do, I can't imagine the Aubergine looking out of place. Personally though, I would think verde might be safer all around since it is a great mid tone. And I actually happen to love the black piping, I think it ties back nicely to the black strap and keeps it from looking too heavy visually. But, YMMV.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it really depends on what colors you wear.
    I have an Aubergine Co-Pilot, which I love, but I switch off and on using it because sometimes it clashes with what I'm wearing. Also, there are circumstances when I need something more conservative (like black). These considerations may be more important than the seasonal aspect.
    It would be great (for me) if Aubergine was actually darker with a less reddish tone, making it more versatile.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this is a "First World Problem" I think!

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think verde may be more "all-seasons" appropriate... but I agree it depends what colors you wear. I recently ordered verde and aubergine A45s and matching Side Effects because I couldn't decide between the colors either. I generally like purple and expected to keep that one but the verde seemed like it would fit better with my style. The aubergine does have in interesting sheen and changes in different lights, but it just wasn't for me. If you can see both in person (without keeping both!) I'd suggest trying that.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Navy/Wasabi Maker's Bag option just disappeared yesterday -- along with the Iberian Tool/Pen Wrap (you're now down to Ultraviolet and Wasabi). Has a call/email to Customer Support turned anything up? I like the Aubergine/NWSky (and generally speaking, that color for the Maker's Bag has disappeared almost faster than Navy/Wasabi), but there are some pretty good pictures of Verde that were posted by @AltruisticRobot in the Verde Maker's Bag thread, and some other good ones posted by @DaMacGuy in The Maker's Bag as a camera bag thread.

I've always been amused by comments in the forum by people who consider Aubergine to be a neutral color, and by counter comments by @Frank II that Aubergine is not a neutral color. So I just tried a Google search, and came across this Knitty Blog post that dates from the time when Amy Singer was designing items with Tom (see the knitting tool pouches in colors like Cardinal and the Size 4 tool pouch in the late-lamented Kiwi; also, the beautiful Aubergine Smart Alec hacked to carry a Uke secured to it.) Sure enough, down in the comments (this was about doing prize give-aways of some Bihn bags) there was a remark about "Knitty Swift is glorious too – in it’s two neutral colors of aubergine and wasabi it definitely goes with anything!"

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVService... It isn't a problem of any sort. It was a question to solicit opinion...and I recognize it for what it is. Thanks to all, as always.

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about adding the MB to my arsenal, and I've bounced between the Aubergine and Verde options (and Black and Navy and...). I like both greens and purples, but because Aubergine has that reddish tone, I think it'd clash with enough of my wardrobe to rule it out. (I haven't actually ruled it out yet, so we'll see if I stick with that opinion.) Verde, IMO, is a more versatile color, and works for all seasons. But if you love Aubergine, I'm sure you'd make it work for all seasons Smilie
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    AVService... It isn't a problem of any sort. It was a question to solicit opinion...and I recognize it for what it is. Thanks to all, as always.
    Not being critical at all,just cracking up here!Wink

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this kind of discussion on the TB Forums! Where else can you have a thoughtful discussion about this type of consideration?

For me, the decision would come down to ease of integration with the rest of my wardrobe. I love Verde, but I really don't have a lot of green in my closet, so it would never get used. (I learned the hard way that loving a color is not enough for me to make me change outfits... I reluctantly returned an Azure SCB because I just never took it out.)

Or, from the seasonality perspective, Aubergine goes with spring flowers (in fact, it's not far off the color of Lenten rose/hellebores; or irises and pansies) but also harmonizes well with fall tones (grape, amethyst, berry, wine, raisin). Green is, well, green - it's everywhere in nature! And Verde is a great mid-range color that goes well with either end of the spectrum: cheery and bright for the warm months, cool and sprightly for the brisk days of fall and winter.

Really it comes down to which color makes your heart sing. If you logged back on and found that one of your choices had gone out of stock, which option would make your heart sink?

(But honestly if you love navy/wasabi, I'd wait - that's a pretty stable combination in the TB lineup. (Maybe call and ask if they're going to reissue it in the next round.) Or see if you can find someone who wants to re-home theirs, especially now that people are looking forward to the Halcyon releases!)
    Last edited by haraya; 03-01-2016 at 11:59 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree that waiting for the right colour is the way to go. I've traded/sold too many times because the colour wasn't quite right.

If Navy is your colour (and it's mine) and wait and then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I have to agree that waiting for the right colour is the way to go. I've traded/sold too many times because the colour wasn't quite right.

If Navy is your colour (and it's mine) and wait and then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1.

Since Navy/Wasabi aren't limited edition colors, I think patience is the key here. I'd wait til it come back in stock and then JUMP ON IT!

(As an aside, I don't see verde as a real neutral (it'd need to be a bit more forest for that) and aubergine definitely isn't one in my book either. Navy? Totally is. Just my two cents.)
    A45: Burnt Orange/Steel; LCB: Black Dyneema/Wasabi Dyneema; DLBP: Coyote; PCBP: Iberian, Sitka; 3DCOC: Iberian, Linen; SSK: Iberian; TSS: Solar & Island (4), Wasabi & Zest (3), Ultraviolet & Northwest Sky (2), Iberian (1); Travel Tray: Steel; Fjord, Sitka, Monarch; Q-kit; Various Dyneema organizer pouches,

Halcneema Addiction is a dangerous thing. Wink #buyallthecolors

Still refining my system Cool