Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Bag discolored, now what?

Bag discolored, now what?-20160304_101324_sm-pngSo I made the mistake of tossing my new bag into the back of a cab. Big mistake. The next morning I discovered these marks (see photo).

I tried soaking that end of the bag in Woolite, and it had no effect. I'm concerned it might be some sort of bleach, since it doesn't look like dirt. Anyone encounter anything similar? I use this bag for work, so I really wanted it to stay looking good.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!
    Last edited by wandermeer; 03-04-2016 at 11:46 AM.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if it could be salt from icing roads. You may need to soak it awhile in the bathtub with a gentle cleanser. I pray it's not bleach. It's a death knell type of thing for color! Mad

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you got paint on your bag - if not in the taxi, perhaps if your bag was leaned on a railing with wet paint.

A TB Customer support call probably would be good to do.

If it is paint, perhaps google most gentle way to remove the paint without removing the fabric color. I personally try 2 things (after trying baking soda or soaking in water):

1) Use strong tape to tape the area and then pull the tape off - hopefully pulling the paint off with it. Do not do too often or too vigorously as it will add wear to the fabric.
    2) Use my finger nails to gently rub / scrape the discolored area works. I do not keep the fabric too flat to help "crack" the paint and have it fleck off. Don't do this too hard or concentrate on one spot all the time as this will overly wear the fabric. If nothing changes after a minute, stop doing as it as it is not helping!

YMMV but it hard to determine what to do without knowing what it is that caused the discoloration. I am just guessing based on the picture of what it is.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it turns out to be bleach Frown ....maybe stop in at an art supply store (or fabric or craft store) and see if you can find a permanent marker (or fabric paint) that matches the color, then try dotting/stippling the color lightly over the affected area till it is all filled in.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Goop before successfully with Tom Bihn bags to remove greasy marks from my Aeronaut gotten the one and only time I checked it (figures, doesn't it?) Goop was originally sold as a hand cleaner for mechanics to get nasty automotive grease off your hands without trashing them. But I suspect today more is used as a laundry aid. You rub it into the fabric and, using your fingers, gently work it in. No water at that point. Let it sit at least a hour--a couple is better--and rinse well. If the offending material isn't totally gone, repeat. (If the offending matter hasn't budged, quit. Stash your remaining Goop in the laundry area, where it will take ballpoint pen ink off shirt pockets (don't ask how I know this), greasy or oily stains off clothing, and lipstick and lipgloss off fabric unless your lipstick is really dark or really red.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I haven't given up yet! I'll try a few more things.

Forum Member
    Northern CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's latex paint I would recommend trying a product called "Goof Off". I've used it with success on various fabrics in the past. As usual, try it on a small spot first to assess the effects before doing the whole stain.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what the stain is (of course) -- I've had very good luck with Folex for lots of different stains, including on my Small Cafe Bag. It's a cleaner primarily for carpets and upholstery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. I tried a few of the suggestions here (short of goof off which said it was for automotive surfaces and was super flammable)... and I think it is bleach rather than any sort of paint, especially since I can't feel a difference in the discolored areas. So art store next stop. Sigh.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! So sorry to read that it is bleach.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't find a perfect match for the color, maybe you can put a decorative patch (iron-on or sewed on) or two over the affected area? Something else to keep an eye out for at the art store...

Quote Originally Posted by wandermeer View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. I tried a few of the suggestions here (short of goof off which said it was for automotive surfaces and was super flammable)... and I think it is bleach rather than any sort of paint, especially since I can't feel a difference in the discolored areas. So art store next stop. Sigh.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hard time believing it's bleach. Definitely call Tom Bihn tech support and find out if that bag was made of piece-dyed or solution-dyed Cordura or ballistic nylon and what chemicals or solvents would actually work against it. You need to know what you've got so you can make good decisions about what chemicals to use.

From the photo, it looks like you have OD Green Cordura, probably 500D, and probably the same stuff used by military bag manufacturers. It should be very tough and solution-dyed. I had a Tom Bihn Large Cafe Bag in that material. Otherwise, it is probably the OD green ballistic nylon that I am not personally familiar with.
    Last edited by dchang0; 03-21-2016 at 04:07 PM.