Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maker's Bag- A Question of Fabrics

I have the MB in Black Dyneema/UV and absolutely love it. It's light and stuffable. It easily hauls the things near and dear to me (knitting, journaling, iPad, oils, etc.). But I admit, I keep looking at the Ballistic offerings. For those of you out there who have both (I know you're there, too!) which one do you reach for the most? Why? I'm heavily considering purchasing a Ballistic bag. I got my hubby the Black/Steel ballistic MB for Christmas and he absolutely loves it, but I never get a chance to play with it at all.

I think part of the reason I keep yearning for it in Ballistic is because I have my Imago in Navy/Cork/Wasabi, and that bag is my hands down favorite of all my TB collection. It feels so good in the hand, and after all these years the fabric has softened. It's quite a tactile experience for this woman (who enjoys caressing yarn in her spare time). I guess I keep thinking I might also like the MB in a similar fabric? Oh, and did I mention that my Aubergine/Zest A45 doesn't have a travel partner (yet) that is in a matching fabric?

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a 400 denier Dyneema bag yet so perhaps what I think may be different when I do.

Given a choice of caressing my 1050 denier ballistic nylon Ristretto and 200 denier nylon/Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, I'd go for the Ristretto every time. It just *feels* like a "proper" bag which exudes strength and reliability ("You can put what you want in me and I won't let you down!"). On the other hand, the PCSB is thin and light (which is what I want) and I know Dyneema fibre is strong (being marketed as the world's strongest fibre weight for weight) but I don't get the same tactile pleasure every time I pick it up.

So my recommendation would be to go for it if there's ballistic in a colour which you like!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John the 200 Dyneema is way more floppy than the 400er and on top of that your Packing Cube Shoulder bag has no lineing as oposed to a Dyneema Makers Bag. There the two layers of Dyneema would add up to 600 so to speak.

I have no Dyneema Makers Bag so Mausermama I can't answer your question. I just wanted to point out to John that he might be pleasently suprised should he ever go for a 400er Dyneema bag with lineing.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ilkyway! I think I see in my future a 400 denier Halcyon Dyneema Synapse or Aeronaut so I will look forward to that!

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the MB in both ballistic (Aubergine/Steel) and Dyneema (with the Iberian lining). When at home, I definitely use the ballistic version much more often -- partly for the structure and partly because the Aubergine is just so darn pretty. I find myself reaching for the Dyneema when I need to really stuff it or if I'm going to be traveling and want to use the lighter bag (although I have traveled with the ballistic version as well, and it works just fine).

If I were forced to choose between, I'd keep the ballistic, so my vote is to get your A45 an Aubergine buddy :-)

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a buddy for my A45.

I just don't know that I need them both. Actually, I already know that answer. I don't need them both. I want them both. Should I get them both? That is the question. And if I do, will I continue to use both, or will I naturally gravitate to one over the other? You're right. The Aubergine bag is calling my name. As to which lining, I can hardly tell. They are both very nice.

Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you get the Aubergine and destash the Dyneema/UV?

But I definitely know what you mean about wanting/not needing both. The materials are so different that it often feels like different bags. At least that's how I justify having one of each in the MB and Swift -- and I have to confess that if TB produces an SA in the new Halcyon, I might just buy it (especially if it has a UV interior!).

Sorry, I realize this is not that helpful. I'm just trying to enable you :-)

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are definitely doing that! So far I have doubles in the Little Swift (Black/UV and Navy/Steel) and that's it. The Little Swift seems totally justified to me. After all, it's the most purse-like object I own. I carry the black for more formal occasions and the navy is my "jeans" bag. I could see the MB working for me like that as well. I really do try to not purchase more than what I can use. I have eyed a second Swift many, many times but have thus far been able to resist its siren song. The Maker's Bag, though. It's tough. I may just have to pull the trigger on it.

Now, the real question is, what will my husband say?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the MB as my everyday carry, and have - I'm somewhat embarrassed to say - 3 of them; aubergine/NWS, burnt orange/steel, and Dyneema. I change them out each day or so to match what I'm wearing, like I believe many of you do with Cafe Bags. I'm also using them as my main camera bag(s). For the EDC, I have my stuff in a medium CB Freudian slip and some pouches and stuff sacks and a Side Effect, so it's pretty easy to transfer everything from one bag to the next as needed. My camera gear is in an insert, which gets moved bag to bag also. So at all times, one has my daily stuff, one has my camera and lenses, and one is empty. When I'm going out shooting, I just grab my clear organizer wallet and keys from the EDC bag and stick it in the one with my camera, and I'm out the door. I love the Dyneema, and I love the ballistic, and they just rotate constantly based on color more than material. I do however, continue to wish there was an outside pocket on the backside - after two months I still try to put stuff where there isn't one.

Do I "need" three? When I'm wearing browns, that BO really looks sharp and the others don't, the Aubergine goes with my grays and plums beautifully and is such a special color, and the Dyneema? Well, for blacks and travel of course! It just makes sense (to me anyway)...and I 'have' managed to say no to a navy one (for when I wear jeans...no? Lol). Good luck with your decision!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops just added to the wrong thread!
    Last edited by Kirri; 03-08-2016 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Wrong thread!

San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone got the MB in Halcyon? I can't make a decision if I want it in Black Halcyon or in Black Ballistic! It seems the weight difference is around 3oz.

Have someone held both of them next to each other and felt the difference in weight, texture and structure?
    Proud owner of: Brain Bag (Saphire), Synapse (Nordic Dyneema) and Aeronaut (Steel Dyneema)

"What Would You Do If Money Were No Object?" Alan Watts

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer halcyon in general. I like its pliability, stretchyness, pet hair replent nature and lack of abrasiveness.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    I prefer halcyon in general. I like its pliability, stretchyness, pet hair replent nature and lack of abrasiveness.
    +1, I have many cordura and ballistic bags and they have their pluses and minuses which have all been discussed .... but halcyon is better for me for all of the functional reasons @Muni_Jedi states and also because I think it's just plain unique (kinda like XPAC).

The new black halcyon is particularly unique ... pre-August I didn't have any TB bags, but the new black halcyon convinced me and now I've got a growing collection Overall I just like it's look - here in the bay area we see a LOT of unique bags on a lot of unique people yet my Bihn bags get questions and compliments almost every time I go out with them, especially the Nordic Halcyon.

Frankly, I should be getting a sales commission

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general (and commented on by other forum members and TB), some of the key usability differences between Halcyon and Ballistic Nylon are:

- Halcyon material is not as stiff as the Ballistic Nylon or Cordura (makes sense given the denier (420d for Halcyon vs 1000d for Ballistic Nylon and Cordura and applies to any material with differing denier). Bags made of Halcyon do not always stand up on their own well when empty or can be lopsided if only partially filled. This not necessarily a good or bag thing and could be just a matter of preference.

- However, this lack of "stiffness" in the Halcyon also translates into being able to stretch the Halcyon material a bit more to hold slightly larger items (e.g. MBP 15 + cache in a Pilot). I can tell you from personal experience that this is very convenient when you need it in an emergency.

- The Halcyon version conforms to your body's shape better as it is not as stiff.

- Halcyon is lighter and therefore easier to carry over long distances or if you have back / shoulder issues.

- Halcyon is not as ultimately durable. However, the grid lines are made of material that is almost impossible to break so may be ultimately better at keep thieves from ripping into the contents of your bag.

- Halcyon is a smooth fabric and you slide it around your waist easier or in and out of storage spots on planes.

Now, specific to the Maker's Bag (I have used both Halcyon and Original Halcyon), the piping along the edges of the bag gives the bag structure and stiffness - ie. for me, the Halcyon version is able to stand up on its own. For me, this addresses the first point at the beginning on fabric stiffness. In use, the only difference I find between the two material versions is in the top flap. In the Halcyon version, you sometimes need to readjust things to keep it neat - a minor issue IMHO but it is a difference I see in use. See this thread post of mine showing my Original Halcyon Maker's Bag. Look at the side view picture to see what I mean.

There's a new Dyneema (now Halcyon) bag in Town

The Halcyon version is definitely lighter and easier to swing around to get things in and out. It also can be made thinner when not full making it slim and closer to your body (center of mass is closer to your body - can you tell I have an engineering background ).

Note that I am a die-hard Ballistic Nylon fan and will always choose it over other fabrics. However, in the Maker's Bag, I made an exception because it could stand up on it own when empty - a key feature for me.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-05-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    +1, I have many cordura and ballistic bags and they have their pluses and minuses which have all been discussed .... but halcyon is better for me for all of the functional reasons @Muni_Jedi states and also because I think it's just plain unique (kinda like XPAC).

The new black halcyon is particularly unique ... pre-August I didn't have any TB bags, but the new black halcyon convinced me and now I've got a growing collection Overall I just like it's look - here in the bay area we see a LOT of unique bags on a lot of unique people yet my Bihn bags get questions and compliments almost every time I go out with them, especially the Nordic Halcyon.

Frankly, I should be getting a sales commission
    Thanks a bunch guys. That settles it. I'll get it in Halcyon. But, now I'm confused about the color since it was mentioned that Nordic Halcyon looks great. I think I should order two different colors and send back the one that I like the least?
    Proud owner of: Brain Bag (Saphire), Synapse (Nordic Dyneema) and Aeronaut (Steel Dyneema)

"What Would You Do If Money Were No Object?" Alan Watts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast