Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikwax and little spots

Hi folks:

I checked and couldn't find this in past discussions.

Help! I have an older Founders Bag -- dark blue. I just applied Nikwax to it following all the directions. It has left little whitish spots everywhere, despite coaxing with a damp cloth (again, per the directions).

Any thoughts? It seems strange that this should happen, and I can find almost nothing online about it. Before doing anything else, I thought I would check. I love this bag (have one of the brand-new ones, too), and don't want it going to an early grave because of my ignorance.

All ideas welcome! I tried a second coat, which seemed to make little/no difference...

Thanks,

David

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird! I did not have that experience when I Nikwax'd some items. Maybe write directly to TB customer service and see what they advise (unless you get an answer here...)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. It hasn't improved in several hours. All ideas welcome! I added a second coat... no joy...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some white spots and streaks once after Nikwaxing. It was just a few, and eventually they wore off. I decided that I had used too much Nikwax to start with. I used less Nikwax on a different bag and had fewer spots. This was on parapack bags.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, K9TB:

The directions are unclear about how much to use, and don't recommend applying to a towel first, so I felt I was being minimal in my application.

I just used a hair dryer and towel to even it out, with limited success. Other thoughts? I am quickly concluding that the directions are dangerously unclear...

DP

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to follow up...

Figuring that Nikwax must contain some kind of wax, I used a hair dryer and washcloth to see if I could at least spread some of the excess around. I also added some more Nkwax, against my better judgment, and smoothed it over to even out the coat a bit, this time by applying with a towel from the get-go (contrary to the instructions). These methods helped a bit, but led me to the conclusion that it's still an older bag and I will try to appreciate that "older-bag mystique," in the same way I appreciate an older guitar. It might not be the same, but I suppose that the alternatives (sunlight, rainfall) would also take their toll.

There is always the promise of another TB just down the road. Still, there is something very special about the Founder's Bag, in my opinion...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance you can post a picture of the bag?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenalvsTB View Post
    Any chance you can post a picture of the bag?
    Nikwax and little spots-before-jpgNikwax and little spots-after-jpg

I sure hope this works and that you can see these photos. One photo shows what I consider the back side -- a brilliant, gorgeous blue (the "before" picture), while the other shows the "front" side (with outside zippers, the "after" picture) that I treated with Nikwax I got from TB a few months back. I followed the directions (spray a little on, wait ver little, and wipe off excess). I tried a dash more and rubbed it around just in case. No joy. What you see in the front/Nikwaxed side is a general dulling and little white splotches. Honest... I used very little in both the first and second applications. It seemed like not enough to cover the entire area...

Any and all thoughts welcome. I'm not trying to kick up a fuss, just save a bag I have come to like very much.

Of course, I will say that my response was to order a Medium Cafe Bag. I'm incorrigible, it seems. :-)
    Last edited by David Prescott; 03-30-2016 at 02:56 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is really strange, David! I don't think we've (or least I've) seen anything quite like this before.

We'd like to get your Founders Briefcase back to us here at the factory so we can take a look and see if there's anything we can do. Could you emailus@tombihn.com so we could begin to make arrangements for that? I apologize in advance for asking you to send it back to us as I imagine it might be an inconvenience, but we'd really like to figure out what went wrong here and if we can make it right.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    This is really strange, David! I don't think we've (or least I've) seen anything quite like this before.

We'd like to get your Founders Briefcase back to us here at the factory so we can take a look and see if there's anything we can do. Could you emailus@tombihn.com so we could begin to make arrangements for that? I apologize in advance for asking you to send it back to us as I imagine it might be an inconvenience, but we'd really like to figure out what went wrong here and if we can make it right.
    Wow, Darcy, yes, of course!

I will contact you via that address. That is very kind! Thank you.

BTW, the photos are from an iPhone after a long day of travel...

All the best,

David

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures were very clear...Moving from the first to second was very sad indeed. The first color is so vibrant! They were able to solve my weird "clouding" issue so I bet they will get to the bottom of this for you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

I wanted to follow up on this thread, with all of the cautions and solutions for others who might have similar experiences to me.

The take-away message is that Darcy, Dee, and the other folks at TB could not have handled this situation more effectively. After reading my question and seeing the pictures I posted here, they arranged to have my Founder’s bag shipped to Seattle, where they looked it over, agreed this was unusual, and contacted the folks at Nikwax to have a look as well. Beyond excellent customer service, the TB folks wanted to understand what had happened and prevent it from happening again in the future.

In the end, the difference was in the Nikwax instructions, which say, “For best results, always clean item first with Nikwax Tech Wash. No need to dry item before waterproofing.” Since the item didn’t need cleaning, and because the Nikwax instructions are for “best results” I saw no reason to go out and buy the tech wash (and after all… how frustrating would that be… first you buy the waterproofing, only to discover you have to buy the tech wash… Grrrrrrr).

Nikwax’s point was that because the item wasn’t wet at the time of application, I therefore hadn’t followed the instructions. To my eyes, this seems an artful dodge at best on their part, both in the instructions themselves and the fact that many of us have used Nikwax without all of the prep work with no problems whatsoever.

This is when the TB team went over the top. Not only did they agree with my concerns, they offered the choice of a new (black) Founder’s Bag or to do their best to restore my older blue FB with Citra-Solv. While it is hard to turn down a new TB bag, my older blue FB has a certain mojo about it, and so I went with that option. I am posting photos below to serve as a comparison. Please note that I consider the lighting on this second round to be less favorable than in the first round, meaning that in real life, the bag looks better than the photos.

Moral of the story:

TB has the best customer service anywhere
    Use Citra Solv to clean any spots
    Beware of Nikwax instructions

I hope this helps others!

David
    Last edited by David Prescott; 05-04-2016 at 03:57 AM. Reason: no photos

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A thousand pardons... photo upload not working... More to come... watch this space...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nikwax and little spots-13149984_803107123153383_798208930_n-jpgNikwax and little spots-13149838_803104673153628_2127526679_n-jpg

Here are the photos I referenced earlier. It's great to have the FB back!

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exceptional customer service. Kudos to Tom Bihn!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast