Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    I haphazardly threw some folded clothes (mostly men's medium) into my wife's A45.

Right Pocket
    • Two pairs of jeans
    • TSS #1

Left Pocket
    • Shoes
    • Mini Q-Kit (charger, etc.)

Main Compartment
    • Khaki pants
    • 3 full EC Half Cubes: socks, shirts, thick pajamas
    • 2 folded EC Half Cubes: underwear, bras
    • Random jacket (small)
    • 3DOC
    I cut down the underwear down to four in a Quarter Cube (assuming they could be easily washed and dried), and I replaced the cotton socks with a Quarter Cube with a few SmartWool socks. Then I moved everything into my A30.
    Attached Images Attached Images First attempt at practice packing the A45-a30-11-jpg 

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to chime in since I am generally not a carry-on only packer. Once I was able to do carry on only with my A30 and Pilot for a work trip from CA to the East Coast by myself. The attire at the destination was business casual and I was only there for four days, including only two at the conference and two with family, so I had a place to wash clothes as well. I usually do check in a wheeled Victorinox (technically could be carried on, but I prefer not to deal with it at the airport if possible). And in my limited experience attempting light packing, it is an art that takes time to master (I haven't mastered it). I don't think you should beat yourself up about this at all.

I'm wondering if you could omit one pair of pants and 1-2 shirts and wear the remaining pants 2-3 times each, plus whatever you'll be wearing for the flight, and the remaining shirts 1-2 times each. But if you have multiple events and have decided this is the wardrobe to bring, then hopefully some of these other suggestions will help.

Forum Member
    near SFO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, I have never been a carry-on only person. Usually check a 22 inch rolling suitcase. Although I am determined to go carry on only in May for a 5 day trip to NYC with just a 33l rolling case plus DLBP.

However, do have a few suggestions:
    Delete one pair pants. You will have whatever you wear on the plane, plus 2 more pairs.
    Just fold pants and place on bottom or top of bag. Fill in any spaces between cubes, etc with small items like socks, underwear.

Another admission: I usually prefer to fold clothes rather than roll them. If you are not able to roll the clothing item tightly, just fold it instead. Packing cubes can accept a combo of rolled and folded items.
    Before our last trip I bought the new eagle creek specter compression cubes. These are great for a sweater, or fleece jacket. Makes it much smaller!

USA Midwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I'm going for 7 days.

This might be a silly question, but when you're packing your socks, are you packing them flat?

Not a silly question at all! I roll mine, but I have thinner socks. With as many socks as you are packing, I would try a practice pack with them stacked neatly flat, it may end up saving you some space.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bras: I wear one on the plane and pack one (yup, even for a week long trip. Rotate daily)

Pants: Wear one on the plane, pack one pair. I wear pants multiple days without washing even at home.

Shoes: Wear on plane. If I pack a 2nd pair, they are sneakers for exercising. I wear a very comfy, sturdy walking shoe with everything.

Socks: I too wear thick socks (I just find them comfortable). When traveling, I wear a thin hiking sock liner. They dry quickly. So each thick pair gets worn 2 days. So for an 8 day trip I would wear one pair, and pack 3 pairs of the thick socks and bring some liners and wash those in the sink as needed.

Underwear: even cotton can dry overnight. Wash the dirty bits in the sink. RINSE WELL! Lay the underwear flat in your towel. Roll the towel up. Put on floor (on clean bathmat). Stand on towel. Your weight pushes the water from the undies into the towel. Hang up undies and towels overnight. In the morning, the parts of the undies that were touching each other might be damp still, so reposition before you go out for the day. So maybe wear one pair, pack 3 pairs, and do laundry the 3rd day so it's drying while you are wearing pair #4. All this washing/rearranging is actually easy and pretty fast. Try it at home.

PJs: bring your most lightweight ones. If cold, your b&B probably has extra blankets. Sometimes I pack an extra t shirt as my PJ top. I usually take a shower before bed, so my PJs are pretty clean. This t-shirt is my emergency backup shirt. I used to always pack extras for the "what ifs". Packing light means hoping for the best.

The Sweater: I usually just bring one, and wear it on the plane.

T-shirts: each shirt gets worn for 2 days.

So think what compromises can you cheerfully make, to pack less for the A45, or pack more and bring a bigger bag. For me, I like having an A30/45 on my back, so I only bring what fits into it and cheerfully "make do or do without".
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some updates:
    The bag only weighs 11 lbs. packed. DH came home in the meantime and helped me with weighing it. He also peered into it and said, "You can get a lot more stuff in here."

I'm not doing anything fancy on my trip. Fanciest thing is the West End theater and since I wear mostly black, I think I will be fine. No swanky restaurants or anything. Mostly sightseeing.

Attached are two photos showing the main compartment and the shoes in the right compartment. Left is empty. First attempt at practice packing the A45-a45-resize1-jpgFirst attempt at practice packing the A45-a45-resize2-jpg

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't look all that tightly packed to me - seems like you still have some room. I like all the advice so far- pack fewer underwear and socks and rinse at night in the sink. Likely don't need so many shirts either. I forgot when you are going, but if its going to be chilly, I'd pack a couple of T shirts or turtlenecks to layer.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going at the end of May/first week of June. I've written to my friend in London about the weather.

What is becoming an issue for me is that I think 11 lbs. is quite heavy. I'm thinking something wheeled will work out better for me. I don't know if I can carry anything on my back or shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    You don't look all that tightly packed to me - seems like you still have some room. I like all the advice so far- pack fewer underwear and socks and rinse at night in the sink. Likely don't need so many shirts either. I forgot when you are going, but if its going to be chilly, I'd pack a couple of T shirts or turtlenecks to layer.
    Last edited by ladyinblack1964; 04-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K9TB's advice is excellent! As a reformed over-packer, I completely relate to your initial packing list as it provides plenty of alternatives just in case... And therefore breaks the first 'rule' of packing light.

Instead of taking lots because you might need it, think of the least you might need. You're in London so it is easy to buy a long-sleeved top, for example, if the one you brought is not enough, and then you have a souvenir of your trip as well.

Add in what you wear on the plane - 2 pairs of trousers are plenty if you're happy to alternate, etc. Wear the bulkiest top, the heaviest shoes, carry your toiletries or chargers in the small bag to reduce weight.

Think layers rather than multiple outfits. I looked at packing light sites and found lots designed specifically by location and time of year, eg 1 week in London late spring. They mainly featured 20-somethings but the advice helped. Make sure everything goes with anything, neutral is best anyway, particularly in London where black predominates.

Are you staying with your friend? Check if they have a washing machine or dryer as then washing is even easier.

As far as weight, this will be the deal-breaker. If you can't carry it, then you will have to go wheeled (but you would still appreciate a lighter bag if you do, so still keep it as minimal as you can). But also remember you may not be carrying it much. There are trolleys in the airport which I always use as my EDC can be heavy on its own if it has books in it. In the tube or bus, you'll be able to put it down, etc. if you know where you are staying, Google the route so you can see how far you are walking. Perhaps it would be worth taking a mini-cab (cheaper but not as picturesque as a proper taxi, but these are only in central London anyway) for the walk just to and from accomodation, if you tube most of the way.

And to pack light, the main thing is to keep reminding yourself, it is only a week, you could survive a week in one outfit with no changes (except undies) if you had to. It wouldnt be what you chose and you'd be so pleased to get changed at the end of it, but if you visualise how you would do it - airing clothes at night, steaming creases with the shower, spot cleaning,... Once you get those images in mind, then remember that is worse case scenario (eg what would happen if your checked luggage got delayed) you'll remember both why you want to carry-on, and how little you really need.

Good luck! It really is worth travelling light. Having made the switch, I couldn't go back.
    Last edited by Kirri; 04-02-2016 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member
    Beaver Dam, WI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going at the end of May/first week of June. I've written to my friend in London about the weather.

What is becoming an issue for me is that I think 11 lbs. is quite heavy. I'm thinking something wheeled will work out better for me. I don't know if I can carry anything on my back or shoulder.
    Are you going in backpack mode or with an Absolute strap? I find backpack mode to work best when I am going through airports.
    Super Ego w/Seat Belt Buckle [Black/Steel/Wasabi], Cadet 13/15 [Cardinal/Steel], Aeronaut 45 [Cardinal/Steel], 13" Ristretto (Old) [Olive/Cayenne], Synapse 19 [Indigo/Iberian], Camera I/O, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Forum Member
    Upstate New York
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like an awful lot of clothing for just a week long trip. I have a month long trip coming up and I'll be packing less than that. However, I'll be doing light hand laundry every night and will be schlepping around camping much of the time, so looking presentable isn't a priority. I second K9TB's suggestions. Also, if, you are staying in a hotel, as opposed to someone's house, you might be able to forgo the nightgown First attempt at practice packing the A45
    I feel your pain re the broken camera. The same thing just happened to me and that was a big expense that I wasn't expecting. I also keep finding additional things that I'll need for the trip--travel pillow! Camera filters! Etc, etc, etc...
    I've taken one plane trip with the aeronaut--it was stuffed to the gills and weighed like some bricks had snuck in somehow. Brought home that my minimalist packing skills weren't minimalist enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    London in the summer, go with lightweight layers. You're unlikely to need a thick sweater; a lightweight windbreaker (because Britain is -always- windy) could be better than a thick coat. Underwear, three pairs + the one you're wearing; you can wash the one you wore the day before when you're in the shower, so it can dry whilst you wear another pair (it also gives you extras if you're still of menstruating age and have an oops). Two pairs of trousers, one you're wearing, the other packed. T-shirts, you might want to get two of the long-sleeved ones now and bring them with you, they're unlikely to be available for sale here at that time of year. You can layer a short-sleeved over the long-sleeved ones and extend your options and layering can give you a bit of extra warmth if the day is cooler.
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advice from K9TB - I've learnt a few things, thank you! The only point I would add is this:

Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    PJs: bring your most lightweight ones. If cold, your b&B probably has extra blankets. Sometimes I pack an extra t shirt as my PJ top. I usually take a shower before bed, so my PJs are pretty clean. This t-shirt is my emergency backup shirt. I used to always pack extras for the "what ifs". Packing light means hoping for the best.
    Assuming that the accommodation is warm enough, I seldom bother with packing PJs but just use one of my t-shirts and also bring a pair of shorts. I shower before bed so a single set of these clothes are good for many days.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to the advice about layering, I find it's easiest to bring t-shirts as my bottom layer (which then will require changing/washing if I've sweated that day but otherwise can be used again) and then extra layers (no need to change/wash unless they get dirty) for warmth if required. The extra layers could be a fleece and a waterproof which I wear on to the plane and then I wear a t-shirt on the plane and pack a set of t-shirts for changing into.

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not doing anything fancy on my trip. Fanciest thing is the West End theater and since I wear mostly black, I think I will be fine. No swanky restaurants or anything. Mostly sightseeing.
    London is a pretty informal place. Having lived/worked here for more than 20 years, it would not cross my mind at all to (and I personally would not) dress up for any theatre, musical, play, opera, ballet or any other performance. The venues really will not care and you will not stand out from the crowd (dressed up in all sorts) whatever you wear. Take for example the Royal Opera House:

Attending a performance ? Royal Opera House

Is there a dress code?

There is no dress code feel free to dress up or down.
    Similarly, London restaurants - swanky or otherwise - with only one exception (which I'll get on to) will not care what you wear (apart from, perhaps, shorts and beach flip flops). Sneakers are generally fine apart from the most posh places. The only exception I can think of is a single restaurant - Le Gavroche, one of the most traditional ones - where men must wear a jacket (they'll lend you one if required) but there's no dress code for women.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast