Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field Journal Notebook is BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm posting because I can't see this crucial information posted anywhere else, so if it is posted elsewhere, forgive me....but I had to share! Almost all the colors are back in stock, as of a half hour ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never pressed the BUY button so fast in all my born days!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddling.girl View Post
    I'm posting because I can't see this crucial information posted anywhere else, so if it is posted elsewhere, forgive me....but I had to share! Almost all the colors are back in stock, as of a half hour ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never pressed the BUY button so fast in all my born days!
    there is a thread on items/colors back in stock. it's under General Bag Discussion.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marytattoo View Post
    there is a thread on items/colors back in stock. it's under General Bag Discussion.
    Yes, but if you check the timestamps, @fiddling.girl posted thus information considerably in advance of the post you reference. Actually, at the time she posted, not all the colors that were listed in the Back in Stock colors were showing up yet -- they were still updating the inventories. So if anyone checked her post really early, it's worth going back. (Plum wasn't available then, and still isn't, BTW.)

HTH

moriond

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So don't keep us in suspense...which color did you get? And did you get anything else? Inquiring minds want to know
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    So don't keep us in suspense...which color did you get? And did you get anything else? Inquiring minds want to know
    Just like Jess said what FJN color did you get? Any other items?

By the way, I totally get your excitement! I have an FJN from the very first batch at my left and I have another in my EDC.

First is journal, art journal...

Second is on the go planner, note taking, book reference...

I am beyond exited about the new accessories!
    Last edited by backpack; 04-27-2016 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, jess and backpack...thanks for sharing my suspense! @backpack, you make me feel better about the fact that I just bought TWO FJNs! One azure and one, much to my surprise, in grey...! I also have an original conifer FJN that I got on eBay a couple of years ago, which I gutted (I know, sacrilege! or is that hackrilege?). I removed the whole binder mechanism and added a stiff piece of board from the cover of a sketchbook so I could still use it as a "desk" in the wild...I just didn't like the binder rings, they got in my way, as I was and still am mostly using it for watercolor and pen and ink/watercolor. But now I have numerous other ideas concerning how to use the FJN...to my mind, it is the ultimate small bag...and I want to leave at least one of them more or less intact...well, except for the fabulous Op/Tech strap hack which some kind soul on the forums mentioned to me several moons ago. That made-in-the-USA strap is like a mini-Absolute strap and makes the "desk" use of the FJN much more comfortable (FYI: to do this hack you need a pair of TB triangle metal hooks). Oh, and I also ordered the pen-holder FJN accessory! Just one. For now. One of the reasons that I am so excited about this purchase is that I have been on a no-spending spree for many months, ever since most of the non-profit arts organizations for which I worked for years went belly up. I'm a graphic artist, illustrator and designer, and when the economy took a dive, so did my income. Unfortunately this coincided with a cancer diagnosis, and with my lack of health insurance, so needless to say I haven't been buying bags....but I landed a few one-shot freelance jobs recently and have also been on a selling binge on eBay, so I decided to let myself go wild with the FJNs in a moment of celebration. Ah, life! Know anyone who needs any design work or copy editing?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, jess and backpack...thanks for sharing my suspense! @backpack, you make me feel better about the fact that I just bought TWO FJNs! One azure and one, much to my surprise, in grey...! I also have an original conifer FJN that I got on eBay a couple of years ago, which I gutted (I know, sacrilege! or is that hackrilege?). I removed the whole binder mechanism and added a stiff piece of board from the cover of a sketchbook so I could still use it as a "desk" in the wild...I just didn't like the binder rings, they got in my way, as I was and still am mostly using it for watercolor and pen and ink/watercolor. But now I have numerous other ideas concerning how to use the FJN...to my mind, it is the ultimate small bag...and I want to leave at least one of them more or less intact...well, except for the fabulous Op/Tech strap hack which some kind soul on the forums mentioned to me several moons ago. That made-in-the-USA strap is like a mini-Absolute strap and makes the "desk" use of the FJN much more comfortable (FYI: to do this hack you need a pair of TB triangle metal hooks). Oh, and I also ordered the pen-holder FJN accessory! Just one. For now. One of the reasons that I am so excited about this purchase is that I have been on a no-spending spree for many months, ever since most of the non-profit arts organizations for which I worked for years went belly up. I'm a graphic artist, illustrator and designer, and when the economy took a dive, so did my income. Unfortunately this coincided with a cancer diagnosis, and with my lack of health insurance, so needless to say I haven't been buying bags....but I landed a few one-shot freelance jobs recently and have also been on a selling binge on eBay, so I decided to let myself go wild with the FJNs in a moment of celebration. Ah, life! Know anyone who needs any design work or copy editing?
    I feel for you about being an artist in those tough economic times, the Arts, which are essential to soul lifting, are always the one which suffer during tight budgets.

Healing thoughts your way about the diagnostic and dealing with the medical profession.

The removed binder mechanism of the outdoor sketching FJN can always be set aside to use with the two others or as a stand alone binder to house extra notes, pages, etc...

FJN are great celebration items!

Just read the last line so:

Job: Vanness Pen Shop FB page, We are now hiring! If you have adobe Illustrator or Corel draw training please give us a call!

Website https://vanness1938.com/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fiddling.girl, do you have a website with your work? What are your preferred artistic tools?

Asking because all work should be discovered and admired, every artist moves art history like a fractal design make it more beautiful and elaborate.

You can post in Registered Member forum or PM, if that makes you more comfortable.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took out the binder in mine also, as I like it to carry my moleskine and A5 sized travelers notebook along with all the pens that fit in there. I also realized that my ballistic SE sits in there perfectly after the rings are removed! This may make it a stand alone bag for me with a bit more fiddling...will try and get some pics next week after all the crazy bits of this week are over!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @fiddling.girl, When you receive your FJNs, please check the front zippered pockets, and send back postcard(s) with samples of your artwork. From the blog post about the FJN:

And to celebrate the return of the Field Journal Notebook, we’ve included two postcards with postage affixed (for mailing within the U.S. — folks outside the U.S. will need to add postage).

One of postcard is addressed to us, with the other side completely blank; we’re hoping that you’ll use this postcard to send us a doodle, illustration, poem, haiku, or just a note. When you send this postcard back to us, we’ll pin it up on the walls of our Seattle factory.
    I'm hoping that they will feature pictures some of the entries that come back, either on the blog or in the forums.

For others, here's a link to one of my posts that describes how to hack the FJN so you can carry it with another strap, such as the Op/Tech Mini-S.O.S. strap, or the Absolute strap, both of which are shown in the picture that appears in the linked post:

You'll need to order a pair of 1" Triangle Hooks, and I also used two of the pre-cut 8" Cord Zipper Pulls (in Ultraviolet for the example shown in the picture -- although I linked to black). (You can also obviously cut your own lengths, or use some other material like Paracord to secure the Triangle Clips to the webbing loops, or alternatively bend 3" Nite-Ize Gear Ties around the webbing loop ends.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-29-2016 at 07:32 AM.