Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3D Organizer Cube and Tristar

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if 1 or 2 of the 3D Organizer cubes could fit into the water bottle slot in the Tristar. I have been a previous owner of a A30 and A45 yet wish they made a A38-40. I found the A30 a tad bit small for me and the A45 to heavy when full. I was hoping with the Tristar being kinda in between I may like it better. I am very organized with eagle creek packing cubes and would probably use the 3D organizer cubes that I have already( which I love) in the water slot section instead of the main compartment. I am hoping to get 2 jeans, 4 shirts, 5 t shirts, 5 socks and underwear into the main compartments. Thank you.

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One very stuffed 3D organizer cube fits handily in the water bottle pocket of the Tri-Star, and there's even enough room left on top for something like the small Q-kit. I don't think you would be able to get 2 3D cubes unless they were packed very lightly (if you were using them more for separation of items than for volume). That pocket will bulge out, though, and it could bump you over the maximum carry on depth if you're not careful. And it might keep you from fully utilizing the small front section.

Bulging in general is the biggest problem with the TS. One has to get used to packing flat, and using packing cubes helps with that. I bought mine for the same reason you mentioned: I was afraid that I would pack the A45 too heavy (and the A30 was not available at the time). However, I've found with experience that I prefer flat packing anyway. I used my husband's A45 once when traveling alone and wanting to take a few more items with me (as well as having more experience with how much weight I can handle), but I really could not get much more in it than I get in the TS without feeling I was over stuffing it.

I don't think you will have any problems with the clothing you mentioned, although of course it depends a lot on your clothing size / how much fabric we're talking about. I am a tall, medium weight woman, and regularly pack a pair of jeans, a light sweater or even a sweatshirt, 4 or 5 shirts or t-shirts, pjs, and underwear, not to mention all the makeup and night routine "stuff", as well as a travel hairdryer. I can usually get the clothes into the large back and medium front section, putting toiletries and maybe an extra pair of shoes (US women's size 12) in the small front and middle section, with room to spare. (I can't fit tennis shoes / trainers in the small front section, BTW.)

All the things I mentioned WILL make the TS deeper than it's stated 8", more like 10", but I've never been asked to gate check the bag and have always found a slot that it can squeeze into overhead.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Auntie, very much appreciated. I am 6"2 195 lbs. I love the A30 and A45 but again I found the A30 to small and the A45 kinda heavy when walking around. I now use a Osprey 40 which is pretty awesome but I would like another bag for 3-5 nights for business which the Tristar looks much more professional. Have you ever carried your Tristar on some of the small aircraft and how well did it fit in the overhead compartment. I also use a Ristretto as my to go bag on the flight to put under my seat which holds my computer or ipad and a few snacks. If I carry my camera gear ( Fuji XPro2 mirrorless camera with 2 lenses) I carry my small messenger bag instead.

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am often on regional jets, but I'm sorry, I don't remember numbers. I only had a problem once with the bag being a little fat. I just grabbed a packing cube out of the center to put under the seat with my carry on and it was fine.

I've not traveled carry on only with a suit jacket (not enlightened back then), so can't speak to how much room one would take. But a 3 or 4 night trip is a breeze with my casual clothes. I've gone as long as 8 nights. I did have laundry facilities, but would have been fine without.