Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Significance of July 1, 2014?

Before I say anything else, apologies if this should be posted in the "Not About Bags" section or some other section. I have wondered where to post it, but I've settled on the "General" section since I imagine it will have some connection to bags. Please feel free to move my post if it is inappropriate for this section.

On the bottom of the Forums homepage, there is a tallying thing that tells the visitor how many people are currently online. (I only use the website, not Tapatalk, whatever that is, and I'm almost always using it on my phone, so everything is teeny-tiny looking. Maybe this doesn't show up on Tapatalk? Dunno.)

Almost every day I wonder about July 1, 2014, and what on earth was going on that day. Because of this:

"Most users ever online was 14,476, 07-01-2014 at 07:16 PM."

So, Knowledgeable Ones, Archival-Minded Ones, Ones With All The Answers,

Would you please tell me what was happening on that date/time, AND what it was like to be on the forums then with what amounts to a small city of people?

I was an ardent Tom Bihn bag user then, but only a very casual Forum user. (As opposed to now, when I still love me my TB bags but I also love the forums!)

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't around then, but based on what I've read here, I *think* it was the debut of the Aeronaut 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    I wasn't around then, but based on what I've read here, I *think* it was the debut of the Aeronaut 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, @brendabethman! Maybe you meant the Aeronaut 30? I bought my A45 back in February 2011, so that couldn't be it. And 14 THOUSAND people? How?? I'm just quite curious....

Kansas City, MO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Significance of July 1, 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    Thanks, @brendabethman! Maybe you meant the Aeronaut 30? I bought my A45 back in February 2011, so that couldn't be it. And 14 THOUSAND people? How?? I'm just quite curious....
    Whoops! Yes, I meant the 30.
    Last edited by brendabethman; 05-15-2016 at 07:35 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and NFTD ... DLBP ... TLSS ... Q-kit ... Coyote Ballistic ... etc - really big event!

Here is the blog post on it:

https://blog.tombihn.com/introducing...0-four-designs

Cheers!

P.S. July 1st is also Canada Day Smilie
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-15-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brendabethman View Post
    Whoop! Yes, I meant the 30.
    See this blog post

We didn't actually know what other designs, apart from the Aeronaut 30, would show up. You can read teasers, like Darcy's post in the Who else is checking the blog multiple times a day to see if there are announcements? thread:
    The crew from SHEP filming a video of one of the new bags debuting Monday….

Vecturist
    I think this qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.
    gochicken
    Who are these people from SHEP? Will they talk?
    Janine
    I. Can't. Take. This.

Frank II, your photos were EVIL! And I love you for that.
    moriond
    re: "Who are these people from SHEP? Will they talk?"
    No, the people from SHEP have changed their names and been moved into witness protection programs. (@gochicken I liked your answer to @dorayme's post on Ravelry some weeks ago in search of a Kiwi or Turquoise Little Swift, when she said that surely there must be some folks out there with these bags to destash, and will adapt it for use here):
    "They are out there, but the owners are busy changing their identities and signing up for witness protection!"

moriond
    re: "Who are these people from SHEP? Will they talk?"
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @gochicken and others, To answer the first question more seriously, SHEP is a Seattle based video production operation who made a number of the Tom Bihn videos that have appeared on the blog, in the web pages for video listings, and on the product pages. There are a couple of photos on their Facebook page on Shooting with Tom Bihn Bags.

Some of you guys might remember the Two Weeks in Japan Aeronaut packing video that appeared in August 2013, that inspired @Badger to reply to a poster who was asking whether to take a Co-Pilot or Synapse as an Aeronaut Sidekick with him to Japan, "…are you a Chris or are you a Daniel".

Chris was the super-organized packer who used a Co-Pilot in his Aeronaut. His brother, Daniel, was also shown using the Aeronaut in a last-minute packing effort, and brought along a Synapse. The lines below the video entries in the blog stated "When he’s not going on awesome trips to Japan or packing for overnight work trips, Chris is the writer and producer at SHEP, the people who worked with us on our Tri-Star and Synapse videos."

There are a lot of other product videos made by SHEP. You can also read the blog entry for Video Music that states:

"One of our goals for 2013 was to show you more about how our bags work in real life situations and give you a behind the scenes look at our company. The best way we could think of to do that was through videos, mostly working with the fine folks at SHEP."

The same entry gives a list of some of those videos (with links), and also gives you links to download the Daniel L.K. Caldwell music tracks used in some of the videos. (I particularly like the tracks for the Tri-Star video).

HTH. moriond
    P.S. Unfortunately for members of SHEP, their identities have been exposed. But there can't be that many ravening TB fans in the Seattle area who would hunt them down over the weekend, can there?
    Janine
    Re:" Originally Posted by moriond
    P.S. Unfortunately for members of SHEP, their identities have been exposed. But there can't be that many ravening TB fans in the Seattle area who would hunt them down over the weekend, can there?"
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Hope that gives you a flavor of the mood just before the debut. (And the shadowy figures wee actually filming the Nightflight Travel Duffel)

See also the forum blog post on "The Big Reveal". It featured a copy of eWalker's countdown clock.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-15-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member
    San Antonio, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question answered! Sounds INSANE! Thank you, @moron and @tpnl! The quotes you pulled definitely help set the scene.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    Question answered! Sounds INSANE!
    We were even more in the dark than that excerpt indicated. If you go to the start of that linked thread that asked about whether everyone was checking the blogs to find out if there were announcements, you'll find out that at the start we didin't even know exactly when Debut Day would be -- much less what products besides the Aeronaut 30 would be showing up. People asked for hints about what might appear in the form of box art on shipments they received in the meantime. Then, since these typically came with delivery stickers obscuring part of the box art, we all took turns guessing what the scene was supposed to mean.

The second blog article that I linked to about the "Big Reveal" was @Badger's writeup that caught some of the followup forum activity just after that debut day, with people scrambling to find out about how new products like the Daylight Backpack, etc. worked.

I know that @GoStanford has posted that she missed @eWalker's countdown clock at the last debut. Since there was a long, earlier forum thread about his plans to hike the Inca trail and see Macchu Pichu around that time of year, that may have been why he wasn't around at that time.

Sorry that the quoted links don't all go to the correct articles on the Blog any more, now that they've changed the hosting web site. But I hope the example give you a flavor of what things were like anticipating that 2014 product debut! By the way, that formally marked the retirement of the old colors like Solar (Dyneema/Halcyon lining and accessories color), and the original Steel and Nordic in 400d Dyneema, now known as Halcyon. So none of the new products were available with any of those fabrics.

HTH

moriond

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! I remember that day! I ended up ordering a Night Flight Travel Duffel and (mini) Q-kit. It was a fun day. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That day was... Wait for it... wait.... .... .... .... LEGENDARY!!!

;-)

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 05-16-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth