Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Greens

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greens

In the discussion on new colors thread, @Darcy mentioned there being Conifer Cordura double organizer pouches available. Of course this prompted me to email and ask which of discontinued greens they may still have available in organizers. I got this reply:

"Good question! I was just digging through the bins earlier today and we do have few different greens around and I wonder if the green I saw in the mini and small Cordura bins might be forest, they are a color close to conifer that I have not seen before. We also have a few wasabi (mini only), kelly (small only) and olive ones too. In the Ballastic bins there are quite a few conifer ones though in all by the larger sizes and the clear pouches too."

And now I'm confused--
    Which of the greens were Cordura, which were Ballistic and which were both?

I thought that:
    Kiwi, Forest, Hunter, Sage, and Verde were Ballistic

Conifer, Wasabi, Olive, and Kelly were Cordura

What colors/fabrics am I missing? Were Forest and Conifer both Ballistic and Cordura?

Thanks!
    Self-declared Captain of Team AUBERSKY

Hoping for a return of Hunter and Sage...

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @jess,

Take a look at the Indigo vs. Sapphire, Conifer vs. Forest thread.

Conifer is a Cordura color that looked close to the original Forest Ballistic Nylon (at the time it was released). The last batch of Forest Ballistic Nylon has a much bluer green tone -- much more so than Hunter, which I like better than the original Forest or the very Blue-Green Forest.

Here's the difference between old and new Forest Ballistic Nylon shown in this picture by @Rocks; original Forest Medium Organizer Pouch below and final batch Forest Q-Kits above:

All the mini Q-Kits in Forest, and the single production batch of Pilots that were made in Forest are that much bluer green tone. The Size 4 Knitting Tool pouches still in stock are that blue-green tone, as are the remaining Ballistic nylon pouches in Forest.

There were also a few other greens in Cordura (long since gone).

There's a small Ballistic Nylon Pouch in Forest (that Blue Green shade) still available as an organizer pouch, and a few small organizer pouches in Kiwi still around.

No large organizer pouches in Parapack or any double organizer pouches in Halcyon/Dyneema now, although they just restocked the 3D Fabric Organizer Cubes (not in any green colors) in Black Parapack ( and I think Navy ).

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-03-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: corrected to no double organizer pouches in Halcyon/Dyneema now -- not Parapack

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @moriond-thank you! I did see that thread (and quite a few other great old forum threads about greens). I just want to clarify.

So Conifer (and others that are long gone) was Cordura and Forest was Ballistic only? Or were they both available in both materials? I ask because the email I got from customer service said they had Forest Cordura and Conifer Ballistic organizer pouches available and from what I can tell that might be backwards?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    @moriond-thank you! I did see that thread (and quite a few other great old forum threads about greens). I just want to clarify.

So Conifer (and others that are long gone) was Cordura and Forest was Ballistic only? Or were they both available in both materials? I ask because the email I got from customer service said they had Forest Cordura and Conifer Ballistic organizer pouches available and from what I can tell that might be backwards?
    Yes, Conifer was Cordura and Forest was a Ballistic Nylon Color that was introduced in 2011. I've linked you to the blog post entry, but there are no pictures. About a week before the move to the new web hosting site, I noticed that somebody started going through a lot of the earlier blog posts in 2011 and removing all the picture links. So, even though you could still find the pictures that were there through Google caches up to the date of the transition, they're now permanently gone -- all the pictures of Cardinal and Crimson Ballistic Nylon products, etc. Any of the old forum posts here or on Ravelry that used links to forum post pictures are now permanently broken, because even though I could fix the address formatting to match the new hosting address formats, there's no possible way I can recover links that have been permanently removed.

So, although there are references to older green colors, like pine (Cordura Cafe Bag color), that linked to a blog post image I can't recover. There was another nice green called Spruce -- the image is an uploaded attachment in the Remembering the Buzz thread only because I found that bag up for sale on eBay and captured the image.

There's an old photo Darcy posted on Ravelry that I uploaded to this post that has all the color swatches labeled for that time. You can see Forest and Conifer were very similar:

Read the label on the second set of racks from the left, just in front of Cardinal

HTH

moriond

ETA: gulfcoastgal has a couple of posts with photos of conifer pouches on Ravelry, but they pretty much show the same thing you see in @adalangdon's posts in the thread I linked above. But it's easy enough to run a search on "conifer" there and use the filtering option to only display posts that contain an image. I wish we could support a similar option here, but our linking options are different.

ETA2: @adalangdon's posted comment in the thread that I excerpted the above picture from was:

I note with interest that Forest was AKA Conifer! Pretty much confirms the hypothesis that they were meant to be the same colour, until this final batch of Forest ended up with a blueish cast.
    Last edited by moriond; 06-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.

New York
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! You're the best!