Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    11
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?

    I bought some zipper pulls with the plastic end caps and i put them on a few zippers, but now i want to take them off. How do i remove these without cutting the cord?
    thanks!

  2. #2
    Forum Member Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    941
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plastic part of the pull has two parts: the body and a little cap. You can see the seam. Pry those two apart. It takes some doing, but a little Swiss Army Knife blade should do the trick.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    11
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    The plastic part of the pull has two parts: the body and a little cap. You can see the seam. Pry those two apart. It takes some doing, but a little Swiss Army Knife blade should do the trick.
    thanks. I will give it a try!

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,648
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the exact opposite problem. I have no idea how you even put the zipper pulls on. There were no instructions. Can anyone clue me in, please? I probably won't use them, but I'd like to know.

    UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the video. It would have been nice if the packing information contained instructions on where to find the instructions.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 06-22-2016 at 08:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Share
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    188
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a small flathead screwdriver I can work in between the two parts of plastic. If you have a tiny one for eyeglasses that works great. A knife is too dangerous for my clumsy hands

  6. #6
    Forum Member MrKnitster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Share
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    77
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I use (Swiss Army knife)! I feel like I've swapped zipper cords on my bags like a thousand times...
    MrKnitster on ravelry
    Aeronaut 45s in Burnt Orange, Verde, Navy and Steel, all with Northern Sky interior, Maker's Bag in Navy/Wasabi, Swifts in Burnt Orange/Northern Sky, Olive/Linen, Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne and tons of pouches, stuff sacks, straps, etc.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    64
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    The plastic part of the pull has two parts: the body and a little cap. You can see the seam. Pry those two apart. It takes some doing, but a little Swiss Army Knife blade should do the trick.
    There is an easier method than prying between the body and the cap. If you look at the bottom of the plastic part (where the cords come out) you will see the ends of two tabs on the inside of the body. Hold the body of the zipper pull and use a pen or other implement to push on those tabs.

    HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?-image-jpeg

    One of the tabs is visible in this pic. There's another one on the opposite side.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    11
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There is an easier method than prying between the body and the cap. If you look at the bottom of the plastic part (where the cords come out) you will see the ends of two tabs on the inside of the body. Hold the body of the zipper pull and use a pen or other implement to push on those tabs.

    HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?-image-jpeg

    One of the tabs is visible in this pic. There's another one on the opposite side.
    it worked! thanks!

  9. #9
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    304
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a pliers and it's super easy with no damage:

    (1.) Gently use the pliers to hold - not grab or squeeze - the tab insert - use the first large plier serration to fit around the zipper pull insert edges:
    HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?-img_20160922_105532-2-jpg

    (2.) Use your other hand to grip the pull barrel and slide it up - they slide very easily and come right off
    HOW DO YOU REMOVE zipper pulls?-img_20160922_105558-2-jpg
    Last edited by GrussGott; 09-22-2016 at 11:09 AM.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    1,648
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I thought it would be harder than that.

    UPDATE: That doesn't work for me. It might be that you have your zipper pulls installed upside down.

    My TB faces the other direction, like in the zipper pull video. When I put them on, they snapped pretty tightly shut. Mine won't budge.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-22-2016 at 05:43 PM.

  11. #11
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Thanks! I thought it would be harder than that.

    UPDATE: That doesn't work for me. It might be that you have your zipper pulls installed upside down.

    My TB faces the other direction, like in the zipper pull video. When I put them on, they snapped pretty tightly shut. Mine won't budge.
    That's correct, the zipper pull parts will click shut when installed the right way and can't be pulled out easily. Like the others, I use a flat metal object, like a metal ruler. I work it carefully into area where the 2 parts are joined and move the ruler from side to side until a gap opens up between the pieces, then yank them apart.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    88
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maryannww View Post
    I bought some zipper pulls with the plastic end caps and i put them on a few zippers, but now i want to take them off. How do i remove these without cutting the cord?
    thanks!
    They are really tough to take off once installed, why don't you just cut them off? A new package of zipper pulls is $5.

  13. #13
    Forum Member GrussGott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Share
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    304
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    That's correct, the zipper pull parts will click shut when installed the right way and can't be pulled out easily. Like the others, I use a flat metal object, like a metal ruler. I work it carefully into area where the 2 parts are joined and move the ruler from side to side until a gap opens up between the pieces, then yank them apart.
    ha! hilarious, well I gotta say sometimes - just a few times - I'm glad I"m stupid, and this is one of them! there's no way any of my backwards zipper pulls are going anywhere and they're super easy to take on and off so ... I'm leaving them!

    They don't look backwards ... to me i guess

  14. #14
    Forum Member adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,718
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    They are really tough to take off once installed, why don't you just cut them off? A new package of zipper pulls is $5.
    Ooh. Could I have your cut-off pull tabs? (I am joking.)

  15. #15
    Forum Member Perseffect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Share
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    834
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use the thin metal item between the two plastic pieces to easily lever the pieces apart.

    And I wanted to share two ways I have been using cord to silence zippers.

    On the new zips, the metal is heavier and chunkier and just weaving it through the zip pull is enough to silence it (mostly).



    However on my older A45 will the thinner metal zips (which jangle the worst in my opinion) I have to weave the cord through the zip body as well to quieten them.



    In both cases, I use the newer thicker and stiffer cord from TB. And I like the 'twisted' style of threading them though the zips.

    Hope this helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •