Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decisions, decisions (newbie here!)

Hello, Wise Ones!

I have several short work trips coming (4-8 days), and need new luggage as my teen-age kids have taken all our small roll-aboards and backpacks for college, soccer camp, etc.

I've always done roll-aboards, but have heard wonderful things about the Tom Bihn backpacks. Wondering if I should try that, especially with one of my flights being Frontier Airlines, which I have heard has less in the way of storage space (and also charges for both checked luggage AND carry-ons Mad)/

On the other hand, I do have an old hip flexor injury which keeps rearing its ugly head at inopportune moments, so I'm also considering getting a small spinner and then splurging on a TB cafe bag.

Does TB make even make wheeled bags? If not, am I allowed to ask here which companies make spinners with similar design quality?

Speak to me of your recommendations!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings and welcome Izzy,
    Tom Bihn does not make wheeled bags. If that is what you need, I am sure someone can make a recommendation. Frank? Can you suggest something?

With your past injury, I agree it is wise to keep the weight off. I used to load my wheeled bag to the maximum allowed weight of 50 pounds (22 kilograms). Then I struggled to get the bag into the overhead bins. Then I went to Onebag.com. After trying out a few of the suggestions, my bag was no longer bursting at the seams. Now my bag is usually only twelve pounds (5 kilograms).

No matter what you choose, good luck! elisa

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums @Izzy! The first question that comes to mind for me is "what will you be packing?" For me, business trips are almost always casual, so my wardrobe needs may not match yours. I struggled for a while myself whether or not to go wheels-free, but once I did, it made such a difference. That being said, I understand the injury thing. I have a few of those myself that crop up as issues from time to time.

As far as specific wheels free suggestions if you still want to explore that option, I would recommend the Aeronaut 30 or the Western Flyer. Either of those, combined with a Cafe Bag, make for a great travel combo. I have a Western Flyer (and the bigger Aeronaut 45) and find it to be almost perfect for business. What may make a difference is the need to carry a laptop, which you didn't mention. I think you will find it comes down to just how much stuff you need to carry. In the end, you should go with what makes you comfortable.
    Eat well, travel often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to speak for Frank, but he chimes in on this thread about wheeled luggage which may be helpful:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ng-here-2.html

Regardless of what you decide to use for a main bag, there are plenty of TB options for a personal carry on bag. Izzy already mentioned the Cafe bags (small and medium, large may be oversized by a couple inches depending on airline regulations), plus there are others including the Swift, Pilot, Co-Pilot, and Ristretto though most of those are more computer bag types instead of purse types. The Maker's Bag may be oversized as well, but in Halcyon fabric can be more slouchy if underpacked.
    The Cafe bags can be paired with Freudian Slips for additional internal organization which may come in handy while traveling. Discussion and photos can be found here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ification.html

Enjoy selecting your first TB bag. A Small Cafe bag was in my first order...what a slippery slope!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great responses, thank you all!!!!!

Tri-star <3

Co-Pilot <3

Cafe Bag. One in each size. <3 <3 <3

Dang it, I can't afford all of 'em!!

I checked on ebay, and the prices for USED ones are only like $10-20 less than new. And they don't have the colors I like.

I currently have a nice LeSportSac Kylie teeny-weeny messenger bag, and I love it, except it's just...too small. It's great for going to work and supermarket, but terrible for traveling. Of course, I do have a habit of over-filling purses NO MATTER WHAT SIZE THEY ARE. So maybe an overstuffed small bag is better than an overstuffed medium bag. So I end up packing it when I travel, and then for air travel days using a ugly heavy clunky Tech bag whose pockets LOOK like they'd be organizationally helpful, but just aren't intuitive.

And I would like something a bit more professional-looking, too. So, Cafe Bag! Smilie

I think.

Or maybe Co-Pilot.

Oh, dear.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, dumb question, but has anyone ever gotten a Tri-Star or a Co-Pilot and bungee-corded it to folding wheels?

I LOVE the option of backpack straps for up and down stairs, walking down narrow plane aisles, and days when my hip isn't hurting and I am strong fit SuperWoman.

But I want the option of rolling it on wheels, too...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/KOROVO-Portab...ls+for+luggage

Which is pricey--but not as pricey as buying one TB AND one nice rollaboard...

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Izzy--Welcome. Great suggestions here, just one more thought to add. I have hip flexor issues and my doctor suggested that if I use a rolling bag, that I push it instead of pulling it. I know each person's issues are different, but just another thing to try out. My go to travel bag is my WF--I do fine carrying it on my back as long as I don't overpack. I have been using a pilot as my personal item, but I may try my MB next trip. I also rely on my Scotteevest for my valuables in flight and then switch to either a SE, PCSB, MCB, or DLBP as my day bag.
    Whatever you choose, happy traveling! :-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

eastern Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a co-pilot and all sizes of cafe bags. I like the co-pilot if I need to walk very far from say a parking lot to a building. I like it because it holds a lot of stuff and also has the front water bottle pocket. If I'm going to be somewhere where I will want a water bottle, I will choose the co-pilot over a cafe bag. The co-pilot also has more organization than a cafe bag. The outside side pockets make little things like pens and lip gloss more accessible. The co-pilot is small enough that even slightly overpacked, it doesn't get too heavy. I am very good at packing bags, especially TB bags, to the point I can't lift them.

Right now, my EDC is a Nordic Halcyon LCB, which I LOVE. BUT, if I need to accompany my husband to a doctor appointment or to the hospital for tests, I reach for my co-pilot.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Grandcache! PUSHING? Aha. So that means either spinner bag (I have tried and failed to push my two-wheeler, I can't control where it goes at all and end up bumping into other disgruntled passengers) or strap a TB to a set of wheels that have good controllability.

When you travel with your Western Flyer (that's what WF means, right? I'm still learning the lingo here), how many days' worth of clothes can you pack?

Forum Member
    Virginia, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Izzy, I lived out of it for 10 days in the UK. It was definitely a minimalist trip, but I never felt like I needed something I didn't have. First off, we spent at least 2 nights every place we stayed, so doing laundry in the sink was easy. Exofficio underwear is compact and quick drying and I wore these boots:https://www.sasshoes.com/womens-alpine-black. There were only a couple of dressier occasions and my black slacks left only the toe area visible. They were the perfect footwear for drizzly fall weather. Smartwool socks and merino layers were also "must haves".

I was definitely skeptical about everything fitting, but the Western Flyer is an amazing bag and I honestly think anything bigger would be too heavy for me to carry for any distance. I pack a change of clothes in my personal item when I fly in case I end up having to gate check the WF, which hasn't happened yet-even on the small planes. Before I actually ordered the WF, I purchased the packing cubes and used them in my wheelie for a couple of trips to see if I could fit my stuff in them.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as pushing a suitcase, I love my Briggs & Riley TORQ luggage. The spinner wheels are amazing, even on carpet. I can glide the suitcase in front of me or next to me with one finger.