Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has been mentioned, many museums and tourist sites now ban backpacks for both security reasons and to minimize damage to exhibits. (People wearing backpacks sometimes forget they stick out more, turn around and have damaged paintings and statues.). Additionally, in crowded areas they can be easier targets for thieves.

I used to carry a backpack style bag but slung over one shoulder. Now, I'm slowly switching to a cross body bag. I also realize that i don't need to carry as much as I thought I did every day. I think people take so much the weight of these bags is making them uncomfortable.

When Im in crowded areas, my arm can go over the bag to protect it from wandering hands. It's also in front of me so I can keep an eye on it.

I do put my smaller cross body bag in a larger bag when changing locations. The reason is that I take things that I don't want to have to check should the airline insist on it such as my electronics, prescription meds, and the like. These will not all fit in the smaller day bag.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I used to carry a backpack style bag but slung over one shoulder. Now, I'm slowly switching to a cross body bag. I also realize that i don't need to carry as much as I thought I did every day. I think people take so much the weight of these bags is making them uncomfortable.
    I realized this yesterday, as I was out and about with my MCB. I will be able to pare down my bag prior to leaving for Europe. I won't need to carry things like my Target Red Card, Sam's Club card, etc. I won't need the 17 ponytail holders I carry because my 9 year old is constantly losing them. Ditto for things like bandaids and children's ibuprofen. In short, I won't have to carry a 'Mom Bag', I can carry a 'Jen Bag'.

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between a cross-body and a backpack, I'm going to suggest a cross-body for a few reasons:

- As Frank mentioned, a lot of museums don't allow backpacks. Heck, a lot of shops don't allow them, either.
    - When you wear the backpack with both straps on your back, you have no idea if you are being pickpocketed behind you.

As for cross-body, as big a fan as I am on TB bags, I am personally averse to using any of the cafe bags for travel to larger cities in Europe known for pickpockets, because the bags don't fully zip across the top. It's way too easy for someone to reach in and remove something.

Personally, I rely on the Packing Cube Backpack if I am going hiking, etc. and doing some outdoor activity where I want to carry lots of stuff. And I use the PCBP to pack stuff in my carry-on, so easy peasy.

As for an everyday carry, I actually use the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. When I need to be careful, I wear it cross-body across my front, short enough that I can grasp one end of the strap with my hand, so my elbow is touching the other end of the bag, and my forearm physically covers the top zipper.

On top of that, I use a little trick with the zippers on my PCSB that works really well to thwart the casual pickpocket. I take a little loose leaf binder ring (I think the size I use is a 1.5-inch diameter), and loop it through all three zipper tabs on the PCSB... that is, the two zipper tabs that meet on the top, as well as the tab for the front diagonal pocket. I then take the ring and thread it through the D-ring of the bag, or on the carabiner clip of the shoulder strap.

Keep in mind, what I use is a binder ring, NOT a carabiner. You can open and close the binder ring really easily, but it's VERY difficult to do with just one hand (because you have to essentially twist each end in opposite directions). Plus, it's exceedingly difficult to remove any of the zipper tabs out of the ring once the ring is unclasped, when there's tension on the tab, because of the way the ring curls up and away from the direction the tabs are pulling.

It's a really cheap solution and one that works pretty well. It's not as good as a lock, but sometimes the cheapest solutions work pretty well. I'd almost use a twist tie except that they tend to wear out too easily.

[Edited to add] PS: Both the Black Halcyon and Nordic Halcyon colors are now available for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I got them before the weekend, so I had a chance to carry one around this weekend, and they are BEAUTIFUL. The dark cross-threading completely changes their look, so they look like very nice bags, not just a casual carry. LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!
    Last edited by Lani; 08-01-2016 at 04:24 PM.

NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the weight of your pack. If it's below 3kg, then go with the cross body. If more, backpack backpack backpack.

I can't tell you the countless times on how I regret choosing style over comfort (cross body over backpack). That's why now I use the WF for flexibility.

And what makes a trip really annoying is when you're tired and beat up due to your bag (happened to me in Japan once)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    Black/Northwest Sky Western Flyer

Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

As for cross-body, as big a fan as I am on TB bags, I am personally averse to using any of the cafe bags for travel to larger cities in Europe known for pickpockets, because the bags don't fully zip across the top. It's way too easy for someone to reach in and remove something.
    You raise a good point. I did think of this, but I'm thinking that the cafe bag could be more secure if important items were kept in the front zipper pocket. That would be more difficult for someone to access, as they'd have to get under the front flap and undo the zipper. If wallet, cash, etc. were tethered to the inside with a key strap, that would add another layer of difficulty. Then the main compartment of the bag could be used for less valuable items like a water bottle, umbrella, etc.

Thanks for all your tips on securing the zippers on the PCSB. Very clever.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another level of security you could try. Put smaller items into pouches and clip them to the O rings in the bag. Thieves would not only have to reach inside your bag buy also unzip a pouch.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    PS: Both the Black Halcyon and Nordic Halcyon colors are now available for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.
    OMG, thank you for mentioning this!! I haven't been on the forum or site much while on vacation, and I'm horrified to think I might have missed out on a black halcyon PCSB.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2