Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Commuter gear

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Commuter gear

It's "bihn" a long time since I've had an opportunity to visit the Forum. I see dyneema changed its name to original halcyon ? and new products have come out. I'm now commuting via transit to a new job downtown and making abundant use of both synapes and all my gear. But I do have a question for fellow commuters.

I'd like a pouch for my transit card that I can preferably keep affixed to my pack on a 16" strap and and not have to remove while scanning. Anyone do this with a urethane or mesh pouch without blocking the transponder? And, can it be kept in the pouch with credit cards without interference?

Incidentally, the wallet pouch is probably my #1 most frequently used TB. I love it!

Thanks for the feedback.
    RhoFro in ATL
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control Cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine in the very back of my wallet pouch and scan it right through the pouch. Works every time. I have done the same with a mini Halcyon organizer pouch with no issues.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Atlanta card have an RFID chip? Mine in Boston does, and I use the pocket pouch for it. It works perfectly through the ballistic fabric and is very quick to retrieve.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a transit pass for my regional system that is an RFID reader, and I found it fits perfectly into a Tom Bihn luggage tag. My original card had some issues with the readers through the pouch, but since replacing the card it scans perfectly without being removed from the pouch.

I like the luggage tag because I can wear it as a wrist strap when approaching readers for the start of my commute, then once I'm on the bus I slip it into the front small pocket of my Synapse 19. It also hooks nicely around the grab handle of a Synapse or any other bag and I have carried it attached to my Cafe Bags that way on travel trips when I need to scan the card multiple times.

The only downside is the strap is fairly short, but you could clip a 16" keystrap to the loop on the luggage tag for some extra reach.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ideas, thank you! I had to look up if MARTA is RFID and it looks like it is. I presume that eliminates the RFID blocking pouch Smilie
    They're currently unifying transit so any county bus or rail will work on a single reloadable card. I definitely have my eye on the luggage tag because I could knot it through the top of my synapse so it's always attached and I don't forget it. @Meglet - do you have a picture of how you sync yours with the packs?

I'm using the wallet pouch right now but I think I'd like to keep it separate from my DL and CCs.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control Cool

Wisconsin
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Great ideas, thank you! I had to look up if MARTA is RFID and it looks like it is. I presume that eliminates the RFID blocking pouch Smilie
    They're currently unifying transit so any county bus or rail will work on a single reloadable card. I definitely have my eye on the luggage tag because I could knot it through the top of my synapse so it's always attached and I don't forget it. @Meglet - do you have a picture of how you sync yours with the packs?

I'm using the wallet pouch right now but I think I'd like to keep it separate from my DL and CCs.
    I second the luggage tag attached to a keystrap. Works like a charm and the design makes it so that I don't worry about it falling out, like with a pocket pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a luggage tag for my transit card, too. I have no trouble scanning. Mine is black ballistic, a forum gift, and every time I use it, which is daily, I admire it. I also keep my Y membership card in it.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I second the luggage tag attached to a keystrap. Works like a charm and the design makes it so that I don't worry about it falling out, like with a pocket pouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The nice thing about the luggage tag pouch is that while it keeps the card from falling out, it is also easy to get the card out when required (our fare enforcement officers require a "naked" card when they validate.)

I don't have a photo of the transit pass attached to a Synapse, but I did find one of the pass attached to the grab handle of my Small Cafe Bag on a trip a while back. I just looped the luggage tag loop around the SCB handle, then stuck the pass end of the tag through the loop:

Packed Light by Meghan, on Flickr

Photo is clicky to a larger version if you want to magnify it.
    Rambling On. . . . .