Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anybody use their Side Effect as a Dopp kit/toiletry bag?

I just bought a Side Effect. I mainly plan to use it as "day bag" and as my "airplane bag." I'm thinking I might also use it to store toiletries until I get to whatever hotel I'm staying at, where I'll empty the toiletries. That way I won't have to carry a separate toiletry bag, killing two birds with one stone. I'm traveling with a Synapse 19 as my only bag, so every bit of space counts. Does anybody else do this?

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello boddicker!

Welcome to the forum!

Space permitting, you may certainly place toiletries in the Side Effect. At the same time, please be aware that if your travels involve non - TSA-Pre airport security checkpoints, you will need to move any liquid toiletries from the Side Effect for screening through the X-Ray machine.

I generally keep lip balm, and occasionally a small hand lotion in my Side Effect -- not just when I am traveling, but as part of my EDC setup.
    -m

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered it, as the Side Effect is actually well-suited size-wize to the bottles I carry my toiletries in. It seems like it would be fine, but a more specifically designed toiletry bag, like the Spiff Kit, or another brand, will have a built-in hook that can be useful in a tight space. Also less chance of accidentally getting shampoo residue on your passport or other valuables...
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mine as a toiletry bag for my non liquid items, and I have been extremely happy with it, especially to compartmentalize small items in the inner pockets.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Bangalore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use side effect for toiletries while traveling. I have the earlier one in steel 200d dyneema. Light weight and very pliable. And yes @Boddicker you can then use it as a light weight EDC.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SE is the perfect toiletry bag for me. My toiletry bag holds electric toothbrush in its case, regular toothbrush, tube of toothpaste, dental floss, dental picks (the ones with tiny soft brushes on one end), bar soap, salux wash cloth, comb, hair brush, lip balm, sunblock, nail clipper. Sometimes, I bring tiny bottles of potions Smilie - sometimes I may give up the hair brush to free up space for my potions.

I don't use make-up, lotion, deodorant, shampoo, etc.

If I need a big toiletry bag, I use a PCSB, a small TS/WF packing cube or the A45 side pocket packing cube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I as well have used it for years as a shave kit, with the same idea of dual use.

Downeast Maine
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used mine for a toiletry bag too. It ended up being more bag than I needed. I've used a SE as every day bag/PLO for a few years and love it.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Good to know many people are using it as a toiletry bag/for other stuff. Fortunately, I don't travel with many liquids, so I won't have to deal w/ hassles going through security. I plan to use the Side Effect in place of the Synapse 19 for days when I don't feel like carrying a whole backpack. Since space in the Synapse is at a premium, I don't want to carry a Side Effect *and* a separate toiletry bag (in addition to my other belongings). This way I'll be able to leave the toiletries at the hotel and still have a place to put them when "in transit".

Italy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use one as a toiletry bag.