Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    Have you looked at the empire builder?
    Is empire builder same size as western flyer? Why is most people recommend empire builder but not western flyer? Does anyone have side by side photo of those bags?

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lleung1980 View Post
    Is empire builder same size as western flyer? Why is most people recommend empire builder but not western flyer? Does anyone have side by side photo of those bags?
    Hi lleung1980!

The Empire Builder and the Western Flyer have a similar capacity -- 22.5 liters and 26 liters, respectively.

I would describe the Western Flyer as first a travel bag. It can be carried and used as a briefcase, specially with the Freudian Slip providing organization inside. It can also be carried as a backpack. In that way, it is extremely versatile. I have many times used the Western Flyer when I travel for work.

The Empire Builder is first a briefcase. Given its capacious design, one could travel with it, using it as an overnight or even a multi-day work travel bag.

The Empire Builder is also designed to slip onto the handles of a rolling suitcase. There was for a time a Western Flyer that incorporated this feature at the expense of the backpack straps.

In terms of choosing between the two, consider how you would like to carry the bag, how much capacity you require, and which style suits you.
    -m

CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empire builder is a briefcase and the western flyer is a travel bag that can double as a briefcase / laptop bag.

Is the western flyer too big to fit under the seat? Judging about your 2 laptops, yeah probably.

And maverick said it best, it really depends on how you plan on using the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently tried out an Empire Builder, thinking that it would alleviate a few of the space issues that I have with the Pilot and Cadet (mostly unsightly bulges if I don't pack them just so). It's huge on the outside, and swallowed all of my stuff with room to spare, and I definitely think your stuff would fit. But, the hugeness was more than I could handle, so I sent it back. Plus, I like aisle seats on airplanes, and I doubt it would fit very well.

I used to be the traveler with two laptops as well (although one was my MacBook Air 11 in.). One day I just said "enough, I'm not carrying all that stuff!" So now I carry the work laptop, and 2 iPads. I was able to convert my personal technology use to iPad on the road. This also keeps me from having to carry another power supply. My travels rarely exceed 4 days at a time, though, and work takes up most of my hours when I am not at home.

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to clarify the second half of my post. I understand it's a personal choice on what you want to carry and why you carry it, and TB definitely has some bag choices if you want two laptops (Brain Bag, Empire Builder). I find there is value in considering what you carry, as well as what you carry it in.

The nice folks here on the forum have been incredibly great at helping me reduce unnecessary items. I'm not a light packer by any means, but I am no longer the person who is toting a huge, full piece of luggage with stuff I barely used. Now, they haven't helped with the number of bags in my closet, but I can't blame them for that.
    TB Stuff: Cadet (steel/iberian), Pilot (verde/steel), Synapse 19 (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (New Nordic/NW Sky), Swift (Aubergine/NW Sky), Makers Bag (Black/Steel), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Zest), Aeronaut 45 (Black/Ultraviolet).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly? I would consider a Western Flyer.

Some background. I often travel with two or three laptops, both for backups and emergencies, but also to isolate projects from each other for legal reasons. I also travel with an iPad Pro for in-room music and video and a Kindle. Plus all the requisite cords.

I have a pilot but it is simply too small for a two (let alone three) laptop application. The curves in the top make it really tough especially if you are using sleeves. (I work on 11" or 12" MacBooks typically).

The Western Flyer, however, is perfect for such an application. It has enough room for all your cabling, laptops in sleeves, and a little bit of extra room for in flight niceties, or a lightweight change of clothes. It also fits really well in all overhead bins I've tested. On ground, you can carry as backpack or overshoulder comfortably. For me, it is often heavier than my (now stolen) Tristar that was typically carrying clothes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2