Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DLBP as a fishing buddy

    Several times throughout the year, I go on chartered ocean fishing trips with my friends. I'm a minimalist at packing for my fishing trips. Compared to others rolling their gear onto the boat. I used to have an REI Flash 18 that did the job great, but it's been retired. When I wasn't fishing, it was my summit pack/gym bag.

    So currently I'm considering the DLBP. Has anyone had any experience with the DLBP out on the open waters? In my old Flash 18, I was able to pack my slim (flat) tackle box, sunglasses case, snacks and sandwiches, small towel, hat, windbreaker, sunscreen, stick of deodorant, extra shirt, and pack of baby wipes.

    The conditions on a chartered boat can be very rough, especially when fully booked. The best thing I liked about my Flash 18 was its water resistance when the salt waters are a-splashing! There was actually one time we were in a sweet spot for fish, and we were in a torrential downpour for about a solid 40 minutes. My contents were always dry. The surfaces of a boat are aggressive to prevent slippage. So sometimes bags can slide around when the swells are up, and people tend to slide bags around to get to their own; so abrasion resistance is a plus. Not to mention the high chances of fish guts being flung all over the deck when the bite's a frenzy. So easy cleaning is another plus.

    What you all think? Would the DLBP be a good buddy? And thoughts on Cordura vs. Halcyon for these needs.

    Perhaps you have other bag suggestions? I just don't want a fully tarped dry sack as it's not as versatile.

    Thanks!

    -Panda
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Share
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    2,248
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a peek at the REI Flash 18 and I think the DLBP could meet your needs. Differences to keep in mind:
    The DLBP has no sternum strap or back padding (you'd use your shirt and towel in the inner pockets to provide padding against your back)
    The DLBP is slightly smaller at 16.5 L
    The DLBP straps aren't padded
    There's no zipper garages or covering over the zippers on the DLBP (to protect contents from rain I recommend zipping the pack so the zippers are on the side rather than the top of the bag)

    The DLBP is coated in durable water repellent but the bag is not "waterproof"I've been in some downpours with mine and suffered no ill effects, but not for 40 minutes. The Flash 18 is also only "water resistant" so I'd hazard that the performance is probably similar.

    The DLBP is hand-washable (or soak in Mirazyme and drip dry). I'd probably recommend washing if it's exposed to salt water, though I think the zippers should be OK.

    My DLBP is Cordura and I like it OK, but I'm going to add a Halcyon model as soon as possible. We've talked before that I like Halcyon primarily because it's gentle on clothes. This to me is especially important when the fabric is rubbing directly against your back. I'd hazard that Halcyon is at least as strong if not stronger than the ripstop the Flash 18 is made from, so it should be able to withstand the boat; while I haven't tested the relative resistance of Cordura to Halcyon to fish guts, I think either should be fine in that regard.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    202
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to Badger. Your load should fit. I carry much of the same stuff -- but diapers instead of a flat tackle box.

    Tough fabric. Easy to clean. I've had dry stuff after rain, but only light rain not a long dousing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    +1 to Badger. Your load should fit. I carry much of the same stuff -- but diapers instead of a flat tackle box.

    Tough fabric. Easy to clean. I've had dry stuff after rain, but only light rain not a long dousing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I took a peek at the REI Flash 18 and I think the DLBP could meet your needs. Differences to keep in mind:
    The DLBP has no sternum strap or back padding (you'd use your shirt and towel in the inner pockets to provide padding against your back)
    The DLBP is slightly smaller at 16.5 L
    The DLBP straps aren't padded
    There's no zipper garages or covering over the zippers on the DLBP (to protect contents from rain I recommend zipping the pack so the zippers are on the side rather than the top of the bag)

    The DLBP is coated in durable water repellent but the bag is not "waterproof"I've been in some downpours with mine and suffered no ill effects, but not for 40 minutes. The Flash 18 is also only "water resistant" so I'd hazard that the performance is probably similar.

    The DLBP is hand-washable (or soak in Mirazyme and drip dry). I'd probably recommend washing if it's exposed to salt water, though I think the zippers should be OK.

    My DLBP is Cordura and I like it OK, but I'm going to add a Halcyon model as soon as possible. We've talked before that I like Halcyon primarily because it's gentle on clothes. This to me is especially important when the fabric is rubbing directly against your back. I'd hazard that Halcyon is at least as strong if not stronger than the ripstop the Flash 18 is made from, so it should be able to withstand the boat; while I haven't tested the relative resistance of Cordura to Halcyon to fish guts, I think either should be fine in that regard.
    Thanks, Badger! Great insight!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    619
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings PandaOps,
    For two years, I was a deck hand on an Alaskan Halibut charter boat. Getting that fish smell out of clothing, shoes/boots, and backpacks was nearly impossible.

    While TB bags are easy to clean in ordinary circumstances, I'd not trust the fishy smell to come out easily. Badger's suggestion to use Mirazyme is a good one, but I haven't tested it with the fish smell.

    I'd suggest a dedicated bag just for fishing. Your gear would fit in the DLBP. Perhaps a small organizer pouch or packing cube might help keep the bag neater. I used a Rubbermaid container to keep my sandwiches from getting squished.

    I think TB suggests Nikwax to renew the water repellency. My camping and fishing gear all got a waterproof treatment every year. Good luck! elisa

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    619
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I've not tested TB fabrics against fish guts and smells. However, I used to have a cordura backpack from another company. It was not waterproof and it absorbed fish juice like crazy. From that experience, I'd be inclined to try the Halcyon. You might test a small item in both fabrics. If you call Tom Bihn customer service, you could ask for a sample. The swatches I've received are a bit small, but if you ask they might consider sending a size better suited to testing for "fish smell" removal. elisa

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Oh, I've not tested TB fabrics against fish guts and smells. However, I used to have a cordura backpack from another company. It was not waterproof and it absorbed fish juice like crazy. From that experience, I'd be inclined to try the Halcyon. You might test a small item in both fabrics. If you call Tom Bihn customer service, you could ask for a sample. The swatches I've received are a bit small, but if you ask they might consider sending a size better suited to testing for "fish smell" removal. elisa
    Thanks for the insight! Part of me is willing to take the risk and see how it fairs, and report back in a few weeks. Another part of me is saying to find something "expendable" on Amazon. Lol.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Share
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    189
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I’m a big TB fan I wonder if another type bag might work better. Have you considered a dry bag which would keep everything dry and probably make clean up a lot easier.

    https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=dr...dry+bag&page=1

  10. #10
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Share
    The far west
    Posts
    5,891
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLee View Post
    While I’m a big TB fan I wonder if another type bag might work better. Have you considered a dry bag which would keep everything dry and probably make clean up a lot easier.[/URL]
    I think BarryLee makes a good point here. PandaOps, have you checked out Ortlieb bags? Waterproof + they have some backpack options. There's some downsides to waterproof bags for regular/everyday use but for the conditions you're describing I'd recommend a dry bag.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    123
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for your input! I will definitely consider these options! Great members in these forums!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Husband | Father | Creative | Photog | Subaru Pilot | Horologist | Foodie | Carryologist

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •