Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    The stowaway.

Unfortunately for me it's too small for what I need, and the design ... isn't right for me.

I'd love a Pilot with 2" added to the length and height, 1", to the width for a center compartment that's side opening ... so that the added hideaway backpack straps on the back (similar to the WF) would have the center pocket function like a backpack.

You'd have a 16L-18L bag, plenty small to stow, easily a "work bag", works like a backpack, and is "zero g". The perfect bag!
    So, a WF sized Pilot? I'm in. It would be perfect if it fit a Eagle Creek Specter Medium packing folder. I find the WF is just a HAIR too small. It fits, but rubs on the corners. It just needs a 1/2 inch more room.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been away from the forum for a while--partly because I count 15 TB bags around our house, so I'm not obsessing about buying more just now (not counting travel trays, pouches, wallets, shop bags, etc.) But my daughter was nagging me about giving her back the Imago I originally got for her but then quietly sneaked back for myself because it is my ultimate 'personal item' and "day bag" on the road and EDC some days when I'm taking too much stuff to work to rock the Sidekick.

I put her off as long as I could, but I had to give her back her Imago. Fair's fair. So I thought I'd check in to see what's new and rumored and saw this thread. Which reminded me of the seven stages of Imago grief:

1. Shock and disbelief: OMG! Not the Imago! You can't discontinue it, it's the bag of my dreams! (Even though the cork facing on my very first Imago is disintegrating...)

2. Anger: Why do companies always discontinue the things I love, anyway! Like that bra whose underwire isn't poky. Or those shoes that I can walk in all day but don't look like Grandma's orthopedic shoes? Or Scrunges? Or Ciao Bella pistachio gelato? And now the Imago!

3. Bargaining: OK, so the Imago is going, but surely there'll be an Imago 2.0. I'll write in all my suggestions to make the Queen of Messenger bags even more sublime. I can wait...

4. Bargaining, Part II: OK, so no Imago 2.0. But maybe we can persuade Tom to make up one last batch of Imagos--and sell them just to the special Friends of Tom on the forum. OK, please? Don't make me beg, it's humiliating...

5. Resignation: No special last batch of Imagos. They're dead. Dead as a dead parrot. (Holds Aubergine Imago tightly to chest, and murmurs, "Oh, my precious, I'll take such good care of you..."

6. Absurd levels of commitment: When my Aubergine Imago had its hemp facing disintegrate, I took it to an upholstery shop and for several hundred bucks, it's (almost) good as new.

7. Resignation: This morning I clicked on "buy with 1 click" on a new Timbuk2 Command for my daughter. (She still is negotiating to get the Imago back, but I will only agree if she agrees to also take the stupid bra I have with the poky underwire.)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Tom read over this thread and here's what he wanted me to share with everyone:

I’m thinking that I’m pretty much done with the typical “messenger bag” style bag (big ol’ bag with big ol’ flap) and am headed off to a world where a soft briefcase rides comfortably over your shoulder when you want it to, or is carried comfortably in hand, as the situation and your mood dictate. So not a briefcase, not a messenger bag- what I’m calling it instead is a “Work Bag”.

One of my design mandates is what I call the “Zero G” concept: the bag needs to work well on the shuttle to Mars. Seriously, it needs to be able to zip entirely shut so no contents will be lost when you need to stow it under the seat in front of you, or when you fall ass-over-teakettle from your bicycle. Expect two or more sizes to accommodate variously sized loads and humans.

Wish me luck! - Tom
    Heres the thing... Tom Bihn already makes the kind of bag he's describing here. LOTS of them actually. The Sidekick, Copilot, Pilot, Cadet, Daylight, Founders and even the Parental Unit all already incorporate these ideas to one degree or another. If a customer wants a bag that keeps all its contents zipped up tight we already have several models to choose from.

On the other hand, TB does NOT have EVEN ONE model bag that offers a big main compartment for a laptop or other chunky gear combined with an EASY ACCESS top flap to get at everything "on the go" and FAST like cyclists and many modern commuters need. Plus, a "big ol flap" on the top allows you to hold down big extra stuff that maybe wont fit down inside the bag (like a coat, etc.).

Here is what alot of people like me want... a messenger bag that is water resistant that is 18" x 12" x 6". 3 Deep pockets along the front outside, and 3 deep pockets along the front inside. Clip the front down with both velcro and 2 clips/buckles. If the pockets are full depth and the flap can be snapped down tight, stuff WILL NOT fall out... I've taken enough tumbles off a bike and out of a moving bus or train to know.

This is a somewhat standard messenger bag setup, but what people like me want is a TOM BIHNIZED version of the standard messenger... keep all the stuff I described, its good and its a proven design worked out by bike messengers for decades. Then ADD...

(A) TB build quality & quality fabrics and hardware and cool colors

(B) On the back, inside wall of the bag add the TB organizational pockets, etc. that we all love.

(C) Detachable Absolute Shoulder strap

(D) TB is known for multiple carry options and multiple grab handles. In addition to the shoulder strap add a comfortable top grab handle and maybe a slim grab handle on each end for when you stuff it in an overhead compartment. Really make it KILLER by finding a way to add backpack straps to it or somehow making the Absolute strap do double duty as a backpack strap(?).

(E) Offer some packing cubes that fit the 6 deep outer and inner pockets (All these pockets could be the same size and accommodate the same cube).

(F) TB Standard o-rings... everywhere!

We dont need another "Zero G bag"... you already make them. BUT, it would be nice to have just ONE standard messenger bag that offered the trademark Tom Bihn qualities that we all love... rock solid build quality, great materials, organization, cubes, Absolute strap, multiple grab/carry options, and zillions of o-rings!

PLEASE MAKE THIS BAG! I GUARANTEE THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE WHO WANT A BAG LIKE THIS!!
    Last edited by edfehrman; 10-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edfehrman View Post
    Heres the thing... Tom Bihn already makes the kind of bag he's describing here. LOTS of them actually. The Sidekick, Copilot, Pilot, Cadet, Daylight, Founders and even the Parental Unit all already incorporate these ideas to one degree or another. If a customer wants a bag that keeps all its contents zipped up tight we already have several models to choose from.

On the other hand, TB does NOT have EVEN ONE model bag that offers a big main compartment for a laptop or other chunky gear combined with an EASY ACCESS top flap to get at everything "on the go" and FAST like cyclists and many modern commuters need.

Here is what alot of people like me want... a messenger bag that is water resistant that is 18" x 12" x 6". 3 Deep pockets along the front outside, and 3 deep pockets along the front inside. Clip the front down with both velcro and 2 clips/buckles. If the pockets are full depth and the flap can be snapped down tight, stuff WILL NOT fall out... I've taken enough tumbles off a bike and out of a moving bus or train to know.

This is a somewhat standard messenger bag setup, but what people like me want is a TOM BIHNIZED version of the standard messenger... keep all the stuff I described, its good and its a proven design worked out by bike messengers for decades. Then ADD...

(B) On the back, inside wall of the bag add the TB organizational pockets, etc. that we all love.

(D) TB is known for multiple carry options and multiple grab handles. In addition to the shoulder strap add a comfortable top grab handle and maybe a slim grab handle on each end for when you stuff it in an overhead compartment. Really make it KILLER by finding a way to add backpack straps to it or somehow making the Absolute strap do double duty as a backpack strap(?).

(E) Offer some packing cubes that fit the 6 deep outer and inner pockets (All these pockets could be the same size and accommodate the same cube).

We dont need another "Zero G bag"... you already make them. BUT, it would be nice to have just ONE standard messenger bag that offered the trademark Tom Bihn qualities that we all love... rock solid build quality, great materials, organization, cubes, Absolute strap, multiple grab/carry options, and zillions of o-rings!

PLEASE MAKE THIS BAG! I GUARANTEE THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE WHO WANT A BAG LIKE THIS!!
    Have you looked on EBay for a TB Ego, Super Ego, or Imago? TB used to make more messenger bags with the flap, but not so much anymore so you might have more luck in the second-hand market.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... I've taken enough tumbles off a bike and out of a moving bus or train to know.
    This is my favorite thing that I have read this week!! I have definitely wiped out on a bike many times, but you have off of a bus and a train!!! I laughed out loud at work where people were looking in my office.

Also - Agree with your post completely.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how we all have differently wants/needs and it shows how we're all just not going to be happy.

For me, Tom shouldn't make a messenger. There are literally 100+ companies that make exactly what @edfehrman is asking for and probably at least 30 are small US shops, and many are bike specific shops. Right by me is Waterfield, Chrome, Rickshaw, Inside Line, Brown Buffalo, Mission Workshop, and there are many many more all up and down the Pacific Northwest, and that's just here.

In short, messenger bags, including hand-crafted in the US, lifetime warranty, out of good materials (XPAC, dyneema, BN, etc), are commodities and Tom's would just be one more, so a product red ocean (although my guess is Tom just makes what interests him). Also, these bags are falling out of style I think except "true" messengers like the MW Monty.

Other bags like the Western Flyer, Aeronauts, Pilots, etc are pretty unique to Tom, not that he wouldn't make a nice messenger but ... there are already so many and if I was in the market it'd definitely be a MW Monty in black multicam

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Funny how we all have differently wants/needs and it shows how we're all just not going to be happy.

For me, Tom shouldn't make a messenger. There are literally 100+ companies that make exactly what @edfehrman is asking for and probably at least 30 are small US shops, and many are bike specific shops. Right by me is Waterfield, Chrome, Rickshaw, Inside Line, Brown Buffalo, Mission Workshop, and there are many many more all up and down the Pacific Northwest, and that's just here.
    Good post.

For me, the size of the bag is the bigger driver on this. Topping out at 13L is a little short on what I would like -- I tried the MB, the Stowaway, and the Pilot. All looked outstanding, and I loved the organization of each. But the size just didn't cut it. I really wanted to just make it work with one of them, but if I was honest, none really did.

I went to the website of each of the brands you listed and there were only maybe three styles I would consider (funny two were backpacks). But most looked just inappropriate for work, for me. I can't think of a single TB style that would look out of place.

So I'm trying a different idea/option and seeing if I can go with a S19 for EDC, and carry a DLBC for a more business option when needed.

Hopefully this will work out if I tumble off anything.

; )

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledanahys View Post

I went to the website of each of the brands you listed and there were only maybe three styles I would consider (funny two were backpacks).
    have you looked through carryology.com or GearPatrol.com? There are all kind of brands that specialize in this.

more gearpatrol.com

more carryology.com

Oh, and after Christmas Eric at InsideLine and lots of other bag makers will make you whatever you want custom spec: fabric, style, etc.

and before Christmas if you want his "default" backpack:

We are offering custom designs on the Default bag (and Default Mini-- use the same form). There is no limit on number of colors, but webbing, thread and binding are always black. We want to provide as many options as possible without getting an out of control lead time. If you have ideas beyond the scope of this, let us know and we will try to accommodate. The current build time is 10 days, but is subject to change.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-11-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    There are definitely benefits to having a flap, but I think the security of having a zipper is pretty important to me.
    The ID has (had) both: a flap and a zipper. So you can use the zipper when extra security is needed, or just the flap when it's not.

The inclusion of that zipper is a good example of why we so need Tom Bihn to still make messenger bags. Nobody does (did) it better.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(D) TB is known for multiple carry options and multiple grab handles. In addition to the shoulder strap add a comfortable top grab handle and maybe a slim grab handle on each end for when you stuff it in an overhead compartment.

I'd like to add:

(G) A zipper for the main compartment, for extra security when needed (e.g. traveling internationally in sketchy+crowded areas).

(H) Long velcro closures, with separate "bag silencer" strips, that you can use to cover up all or just some of the velcro, depending on your needs. (Velcro sounds amazingly loud when opening your bag while sitting in a meeting – less velcro exposed = less noise. Smilie )

(I) An adjustable external bottle carrier.

(J) A zippered pocket on the (outside of the) flap, for quick/easy access without otherwise opening the bag.

(K) A flat full-width pocket on the side opposite the flap, that you can slip some papers or a map or magazine into for quick access.

A decent-looking messenger bag with all of the above would be a no-brainer purchase for me, and I'm sure many, many others. There's a reason people are now seeking out the ID and Imago on eBay, and have posted reviews of TB messenger bags they've been using for a decade or more!
    Last edited by ealmasy; 10-18-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm done with messenger bags with just a flap. I've had too many things fall out the sides and I'm careful.

PNW
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be happy with a slightly wider Pilot... something that could accommodate a Surface Book 2 15" or A MacBook 15" yet still fit under an airplane seat height-wise. It's an underserved market, with only "thin" bags seemingly covering the gap between between 13" laptop bags and full-out messenger bags or backpacks.
    And before everyone jumps on my about Cadet, I owned one and I'd lump it into the "thin" bag category. It doesn't hold a water bottle or folded headphone very well. It makes a fine briefcase, but for travel it falls a little short; the Pilot is damn near perfect. I've put about 60K+ air miles this year and was even asked about it from other travelers after they noticed effortless it is to use in-flight. The Pilot even has imitators; see Waterfield's Air Porter bag.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love the Pilot to be 1 or 2 inches deeper. 7 inches would be great. Then it would meet most of the personal item size limitations.

I have a halcyon Pilot on order to see if maybe it better matches my needs, along with a WF (which I think is overkill.)

I’m done with anything horizontal with big flaps and no zip over the main compartment.

What I love without reservation is that most TB bags lack the special padded laptop section. I have a Timbuktu bag for my laptop, but it doesn’t leave my city. For travel, I only carry a tablet and don’t need the padding or the extra weight.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am DONE with any messenger that has a flap over the main compartment. Tom Bihn can make it, but I won't be buying it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I know what I want.

I want a Pilot with the dimensions of the Synapse 19. Nothing else needs to change. Still can be used as the personal item, no flap, works at conferences (not keen on backpacks because I need quick access to the bag contents and backpack forms don’t work with dressy cardigans).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast