Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad Days: Longing for a Messenger Bag

I own most of Tom's bags. Really. What I want is a successor to the Super Ego/Ego/Id line. I own all three, but the organization design isn't right. For example, I'm sitting here staring st the water bottle holders on both sides of my super ego. Let's be honest - that's too heavy full with two full bottles to wear over the shoulder (with an aeronaut on the other, packed for the week). I'm tempted by the founders briefcase, but my need to carry a laptop, 2 iPads (work and personal), and kindle, plus all of the cabling for international travel with a Freudian slip style organizer makes it too small.

What's the plan, Tom and Darcy? Your messenger bag page looks empty... Smilie

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I too am longing for a larger messenger type bag. I have a Pilot and Café Bags which work well, but really would like a little more space. The Empire Builder is really too large and not sure the Makers Bag is that much different from my Café Bags. I’d love a more “casual” style messenger bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribing. In the same boat.

The MB isn't a horrible size for my needs, but for EDC the organization is all wrong....at least to satisfy my significant level of OCD. No pen slots and the configuration of the pockets in the front pocket just don't work for this dude's EDC needs.

Massachusetts
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just lamenting the same thing in another thread. I'd love a medium sized messenger for days when my Synapse 25 isn't needed. Makers Bag is nice but I have reservations. I'm sure new messenger designs are in the works but at the moment there isn't much to choose from to fill that particular niche.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I have my S25 as my work bag, and a medium cafe bag I use for light carrying, but the MB doesn't really work as my in-between bag. I like it, and still use it, but it doesn't fit the void in the way I thought it would.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I want is a shoulder bag version of the Packing Cube Backpack (essentially a "large Packing Cube Shoulder Bag"). For me, that would work as well as a messenger bag, and have the advantage of being able to use it as a packing cube. And Halcyon, of course (as in, very lightweight). I'd be happy with just that!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    All I want is a shoulder bag version of the Packing Cube Backpack (essentially a "large Packing Cube Shoulder Bag"). For me, that would work as well as a messenger bag, and have the advantage of being able to use it as a packing cube. And Halcyon, of course (as in, very lightweight). I'd be happy with just that!
    I think I'm with you on this. If I understand the Hero's Journey correctly, the detachable reversible daypack that comes with it would come close to being what you're describing, and it comes with a water bottle pocket - how cool is that? So I would love to see that kind of bag available for sale on its own, please, without the bigger hiking backpack parts or expense.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, a tablet was supposed to replace a laptop and all the other electronics and books and magazines people travel with, so you'd only carry one thin electronic item. With everything on the Cloud, I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you need to carry a laptop (which can double as a tablet nowadays, too), 3 tablets, and probably at least one phone.

Don't answer. This is a rhetorical question. I'm not asking you to justify all the pieces of equipment, because I totally understand. I just find it ironic that the software and data you are using is not all on the same computer thingy, but I totally understand why it's not.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatTim View Post

I have my S25 as my work bag, and a medium cafe bag I use for light carrying, but the MB doesn't really work as my in-between bag. I like it, and still use it, but it doesn't fit the void in the way I thought it would.
    Can you say more about that? Why not?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling Tom and/or Nik are probably designing more.

If you want a bigger briefcase style bags line up, make your voice heard, because it helps influence the path of designs choices.

Case in point the S19.

Before, TB had only big backpacks like the Brain Bag and the Smart Alec, those two are ideal for students, people in academia; working with computers and other kind of electronics; researchers; people who work in the field, as in outside with lots of equipment in all kind of weather...

I used the Brain Bag for many, many years to travel, go to class, the library, etc...

But, after the birth of the tablet and light weight laptop, it was too big for an EDC. So we asked for a lightweight every day backpack and after a couple of years the S19 was born.

However, some activities still demand for the use of a Letter or A4 size binder for homework, document wallets for all sorts of paperwork, the Large Organizer Pouch fits into the S19, two can also be placed there but, if one needs more space... That is how the S25 was designed and offered.
    Many children could not fit lunch, an hard plastic homework binder, school necessities, perhaps a sweater or hoodie in the S19.
    So they can use the S25.

If The Crew can fix the TB backpack size conundrum, they surely can do the same for messenger bags.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-20-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree a larger packing cube shoulder bag would be ideal, around 11 litres or double the existing PCSB size. And very simple to make!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Can you say more about that? Why not?
    The MB is a good bag, and I still use it, but I have a few nit-picks that make it not work as my bag in-between my Cafe and S25. The internal pocket organization isn't the greatest for my EDC setup - but they might be for others. I carry an organizer cube and a MaxPedition pouch with EDC stuff, as well as a nock.co pouch for my pens, and there aren't easy places to stash these things in the MB, so they just end up in the big main pouch. The slash style pocket on the back of the Cafe bag would be a wonderful addition to the MB - it makes for quick and easy access to things - no similar pocket on the MB. I also found that the structure of the MB means it expands to a more "boxy" shape than the cafe bag, and tends to get in the way more frequently, or take up more space than I thought it would.

That's what it really boils down to - the lack of a quick-access pocket, a less than ideal (for me) internal organizing system, and a boxier than I expected shape (that's a minor quibble). It is a good bag, but it's not filling the function I thought it would.
    Medium Cafe Bag; Synapse 25; Aeronaut 45; Maker's Bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I've been looking around for a messenger bag that would fit between my Smart Alec and Large Cafe Bag. A few other companies have some designs that have caught my eye, but I'm holding off for the time being. I really like Tom Bihn's thought towards internal organization.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, if only Tom would revive the Imago: it was a nearly perfect small messenger bag.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom read over this thread and here's what he wanted me to share with everyone:

I’m thinking that I’m pretty much done with the typical “messenger bag” style bag (big ol’ bag with big ol’ flap) and am headed off to a world where a soft briefcase rides comfortably over your shoulder when you want it to, or is carried comfortably in hand, as the situation and your mood dictate. So not a briefcase, not a messenger bag- what I’m calling it instead is a “Work Bag”.

One of my design mandates is what I call the “Zero G” concept: the bag needs to work well on the shuttle to Mars. Seriously, it needs to be able to zip entirely shut so no contents will be lost when you need to stow it under the seat in front of you, or when you fall ass-over-teakettle from your bicycle. Expect two or more sizes to accommodate variously sized loads and humans.

Wish me luck! - Tom
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast